Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Batteries as Power Banks For OP
781 10 2019-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AdZaM
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hi DJI,

Is it safe to use Mavic Air Batteries with the USB Adapter to power / recharge the Osmo Pocket ?

I suspect that this would be ok as the USB adapter was to enable Mavic Air Batteries to be used as Power Banks....

Would just like Official acknowledgement that we can do this.

Thanks
2019-1-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Osmo Pocket can be used while it's being charged, however, it is recommended to use Osmo Pocket when it is fully charged. If you use Osmo Pocket during charging, the battery will generate heat, which shortens the battery life. Since your inquiry hasn't been tested with our team I'm afraid that we couldn't determine if this would be possible and the outcome. Thank you for understanding.
2019-1-29
Use props
AdZaM
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hi DJI Tony,

While I appreciate your position and response it seems like a dead end, Is it possible to arrange some testing within the team to establish if this is possible ?

It would be nice to know if this can be done, On the Osmo+ we could use the P4 batteries to extend the life, DJI even sold accessories to achieve this. Extending the life of the unit would be mainly used in Time-lapse situations, Not Video Recording. Hence there would be far less heat generated.

Even if it could be confirmed via testing that it is safe to recharge via Mavic Air batteries in the field would be greatly appreciated.

2019-1-29
Use props
dewarner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 87536 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-29 09:42
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Osmo Pocket can be used while it's being charged, however, it is recommended to use Osmo Pocket when it is fully charged. If you use Osmo Pocket during charging, the battery will generate heat, which shortens the battery life. Since your inquiry hasn't been tested with our team I'm afraid that we couldn't determine if this would be possible and the outcome. Thank you for understanding.

I thought that being able to use the Osmo Pocket while it was being charged was an advertised feature.  It seems like many accessories are made with access to the charging port for that purpose.  
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

dewarner Posted at 1-29 13:57
I thought that being able to use the Osmo Pocket while it was being charged was an advertised feature.  It seems like many accessories are made with access to the charging port for that purpose.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry that we recommend this process due to safety purposes on the battery. Damage to the battery might need to send the whole unit to our facility since it has a built-in battery. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

AdZaM Posted at 1-29 11:32
Hi DJI Tony,

While I appreciate your position and response it seems like a dead end, Is it possible to arrange some testing within the team to establish if this is possible ?

Hi, thanks for your response. Actually, this process can be done using a third-party accessory like power bank, however, I'm afraid that this may cause heat as I've mentioned above. Thank you for understanding.
2019-1-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It works I’ve used Mavic Pro battery and it works very well.
2019-1-29
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.4
United States

I own 3 Mavic Air batteries.
2019-1-29
Use props
AdZaM
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 17:18
It works I’ve used Mavic Pro battery and it works very well.

Thanks Hallmark007,

I think DJI Tony has confirmed that even third party power banks can be used to power / recharge OP, He is just making us aware that it may cause the device to heat up thus reducing battery life. Seems a bit of a cryptic answer but nice to know that it will work.

I have 4 Air batteries hence the original Question.
2019-1-29
Use props
OmeSlikkum
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hi. Interesting response. I do remember that in one of the many many videos I have seen that charging through a power bank during capturing was shown. Does it matter then what power bank is used? I have tried it last week during a motion capture and it seemed to be working fine. Due to the cold, I gave up sooner than the batteries hahaha.

But still Dji Toni. Can you confirm that in of your own video's this has been shown?
2019-1-30
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

AdZaM Posted at 1-29 23:58
Thanks Hallmark007,

I think DJI Tony has confirmed that even third party power banks can be used to power / recharge OP, He is just making us aware that it may cause the device to heat up thus reducing battery life. Seems a bit of a cryptic answer but nice to know that it will work.

Given this somewhat backhanded advice ;-) I think it would be prudent to try it and monitor the affect.  DJI also give warning that the unit gets really warm when using the SuperFine setting, but says nothing about battery damage.  I would also start a Chat Session using Online Support and post the question to them.  If you can get a Case # you might get some official tech replies.
2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules