What is this guy trying to do?
2214 18 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pedro Castelani
Second Officer

Argentina

We have seen, quite recently, that a new horror movie, called The Drone, will be released shortly. In the film's trailer, a clear DJI Phantom gets a mind of its own and becomes a psycopath. It makes drones (especially DJI ones) look like:
  • Spy cameras: tries to promote that drones are being used by people to spy on others and violate their privacy.
  • Killing machines: in one part, the drone "attacks" a man and cuts all his face. Of course, lots and lots of blood is shown. Funny thing, drone motors stop once they feel something is stopping the propellers, to prevent destroying anything and harming the circuits. Naturally, everybody will start believing things like those shown in the movie could actually happen.
  • Independent things that can escape from one's control: in the movie, the drone, apparently, doesn't respond to its Tx unit, gets a mind of its own, and starts messing everything. When people see this, they will obviously start feeling that your lovely Phantom might suddenly loose the signal and fly away, as if it were a dumb, less-than 100 hundred dollar quadcopter without GPS, Vision Systems, Altitude Sensors, Real-Time Telemetry or FPV camera.
  • Result: drones are killing, spying machines over which we have small or almost no control and which will easily create a catastrophe. Considering the trailer, the director probably has lost a thousand-dollar drone in a fly-away due to his stupidity, had a Phantom crashed into his face by his son, and finally had his daughter getting spied on by a quadcopter while she was sunbathing.
To say the truth, it is extremely hard to see why anyone would try to ruin our hobby in such a way, and especially DJI. All drones that apppear in the trailer seem to be DJI tech, so I really feel as if we should report the trailer and give as many dislikes as possible, treating it as a menace to our hobby and an extremely bad example for other people

2019-1-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Pedro Castelani. Thank you for posting this information. There are two thing that might happen in this situation first is that our hobby will be know all over, second people will have  a bad impression of the drone because of the said movie. I hope you'll get the best reply here from our valued DJI Members and Customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-29
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Given that movies exaggerate every action ... example - cars do not explode when they go over a cliff .. shooting at a car does not explode the tank .... etc. etc.

There are many examples not only of cars in movies with such extreme action.

But lets look at it ...

1. Various in public already think we spy with our camera equipped models.
2. Having had my P3P go into a tree ... the video I have of it clearly has the motor squealing as its forced to stop rotating ... and in fact e-motors are more dangerous in this respect than wet fuel motors. Because a wet fuel motor will stall and stop running ... but e-motors just keep demanding more amps to keep turning and when obstruction is removed - resume turning ... giving a 'second' run  at your face / hand / whatever. Props can cause serious damage...
3. How many fly-aways ? But of course in way the movie depicts.
4. A highly exaggerated public view of our machines ... sadly - some of the public view our machines in that light.

I do not agree that the movie should get away with adding to the misinformation ... far from it and understand OP's point.

But movies are movies ... there are plenty TV series and Movies where models have been used ...

Clint Eastwood movie with an RC car ...

Bond movie with RC Helicopters

various ... but I don't see paranoid results from them ?

2019-1-30
Use props
Pedro Castelani
Second Officer

Argentina

Well, considering, as you said, that people already see drones as a not-good-thing, that movie will probably only make things worse. Never heard of people afraid of RC helicopters or cars, but they don´t see drones in the same way
2019-1-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I was only commenting on how badly Movie Company's depict the world around us ...

I don't honestly think average Joe is going to be interested in a Drone Horror movie ... in fact I reckon many people who do go to watch it - will likely be Drone flyers !!
2019-1-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

They make dozens of slasher movies, no one ever banned knives...

RedHotPoker
2019-1-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Chainsaws ?
2019-1-31
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

Who cares... Drones aren't going away and I highly doubt any consequences will come from 2% of the population seeing the trailer to a B movie on the SyFy channel at 2am. Shame on you for publicizing.
2019-1-31
Use props
Pedro Castelani
Second Officer

Argentina

I was, of course, supposing everybody here in this blog loved their hobby and were not just flying drones for first time. Extremely recent beginners might take this as publicity, but that is not my intention.
2019-1-31
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

If we took everything in life like this - we would never set foot outside our homes ...
2019-1-31
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

I really don’t think the average person that will watch a movie like this will be moved to have any more negative thoughts about drones than they might already have. Most will just see the ridiculous humor and that will be that. I watched the trailer a while back and got quite a chuckle from it. ....But then I watched the movie Christine, and don’t feel like cars are out to get us either.

News stories of drone sightings near airports is what we should worry about.

We should all just do our part to be good representatives of our sport/hobby/profession, and show ourselves in a positive light all the time, each time we fly . Fly safe (like you’re on board)!
2019-1-31
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

Done.

2019-1-31
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

CHASCOADMIN Posted at 1-31 19:00
http://wikiofthrones.com/static/uploads/2018/10/Game-of-Thrones-used-drone-killers-to-prevent-leaks-during-filming-6.jpg[/img]

I saw those on Amazon!  I want one!  All kidding aside, living in Minnesota, I was personally terrified by the "Sharknado" series of movies!
2019-2-1
Use props
Pedro Castelani
Second Officer

Argentina

In fact, shooting a drone out of the sky is quite illegal in the United States, as they are considered as an aircraft (and its also illegal to do the same with any plane or chopper). It would be fun, however, to do it with a cheap quad and a net launcher
2019-2-1
Use props
Toedles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I’ll go and watch it just to see what an idiot the producer is. Personally, I’m not concerned. Makes me think of the movie ‘Duel’. .....
2019-2-1
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Re (2) - sorry, but this is wrong, in fact, usually the opposite happens and the motors spin faster when their motion is impeded.
2019-2-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-30 12:09
They make dozens of slasher movies, no one ever banned knives...

spot on !!!
2019-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hopefully not a blood spot on the blade... haha

336DE142-6C94-4DED-93E0-DDD63EA1BBFE.jpeg

Spike.

RedHotPoker
2019-2-5