Accessing Smart Controller's Internal and sd-card files via usb
20659 18 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ff22
lvl.4
United States

I have plugged a cable from my computer into the bottom (usb micro c)  port.  I hear the usb-clang and I get a prompt - basically: charge,  share files, share photos.  But nothing shows up on my Win7 computer  when "sharing files".  I'd like access to what's stored in Internal  Memory and when I add an sd-card, I'd like access to what gets stored  there.

If I change to "share photos" I see two folders but they are both empty - that is contain none of the photos or videos that I shot with the drone.   I was just able to copy files to those folders and can view them on  the SC.

So, where are the Internal or Sd-card files when using a usb cable?  What am I doing wrong?
2019-1-29
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

No takers on this subject?  How are folks copying or moving files from the SC to computer?

I don't understand why the SC does not act like any other peripheral when connected by usb to a computer.  I did find that if you use the PHOTO option, you get to see two folders in Internal Memory (I don't have an sd-card in the SC yet).   I was able to copy files to both of those folders and I was able to view them on the controller.

I am also interested in possibly copying some pdf manuals to the SC so that I have access to them while out in the field.  I can't believe that there is no way to connect the SC to a computer for file transfer?
2019-1-30
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Copy them to an SD card then put the SD card into the controller and copy from there using explorer.

I have not managed to get PTP to work, but I have only tried to see if it works as my preferred method is always with SD card.
2019-1-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 1-31 00:09
Copy them to an SD card then put the SD card into the controller and copy from there using explorer.

I have not managed to get PTP to work, but I have only tried to see if it works as my preferred method is always with SD card.

As I noted in a similar thread - cable can be very convenient.

A micro-sd-card less so.  Pull tiny card from controller, insert it into a larger sd-card adapter, insert that into a card reader.  Now reverse the process with that tiny card@!@@

Besides, when you insert the cable into the controller, it offers the file copy option (in addition to a charging option).  So where is it?
2019-1-31
Use props
fans68edca36
lvl.2

Canada

ff22 Posted at 1-31 07:32

A micro-sd-card less so.  Pull tiny card from controller, insert it into a larger sd-card adapter, insert that into a card reader.  Now reverse the process with that tiny card@!@@

yo

plug controller into computer via the USB port (need a male to male double ended cable)

put the sd card from the drone into the controller and start it up on the "connect to your drone" page - lower right pick the "image" icon (mountains & sun).

top of next screen pick "sd card" -  all your photos will be there

select all or the ones you want to transfer then click "share"

so far only the bluetooth choice is available

it's REALLY slow - but it does work

... talk about cludgy

good luck
2019-2-3
Use props
fans68edca36
lvl.2

Canada

fans68edca36 Posted at 2-3 22:00
yo

plug controller into computer via the USB port (need a male to male double ended cable)

this also works if you use the USB C cable port.

Just wish you could hardwire it

ps I work on a mac
2019-2-3
Use props
fans68edca36
lvl.2

Canada

ff22 Posted at 1-31 07:32

yo

also works via the USB C port

put the sd card from the drone into the controller and start it up on the "connect to your drone" page - lower right pick the "image" icon (mountains & sun).

top of next screen pick "sd card" -  all your photos will be there

select all or the ones you want to transfer then click "share"

so far only the bluetooth choice is available

it's REALLY slow - but it does work

... talk about cludgy

good luck
2019-2-3
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

fans68edca36 Posted at 2-3 22:00
yo

I appreciate the reply.  

In desperation or exasperation I started another thread.  I noted issues with the usb drivers for what I suspected was the controller.  Finally, someone told me how to get the darn drivers installed and working.  Now the USB connection works (hope I don't jinx it since I've unplugged and not tried for a few hours)

I've used kludgy in many cases but hoped there was something a tad more elegant.  I also found I could use a thumbdrive in the top usb port and copy files to that and then from that to the computer - more kludge!
2019-2-3
Use props
fans68edca36
lvl.2

Canada

fans68edca36 Posted at 2-3 22:01
this also works if you use the USB C cable port.

Just wish you could hardwire it

just tried it again - don't even need cable as it's transmitting via blue tooth
2019-2-3
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

fans68edca36 Posted at 2-3 23:11
just tried it again - don't even need cable as it's transmitting via blue tooth

My other issue is that my desktop computer does not have Bluetooth.  And ages ago when I added a dongle, it really was hit and miss.  It complained about drivers and only worked on rare occasions.  (I seem to have a driver problem!!!!)
2019-2-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

ff22 Posted at 2-3 22:07
I appreciate the reply.  

In desperation or exasperation I started another thread.  I noted issues with the usb drivers for what I suspected was the controller.  Finally, someone told me how to get the darn drivers installed and working.  Now the USB connection works (hope I don't jinx it since I've unplugged and not tried for a few hours)

Pity I did not notice this thread before. I could save some desperation or exasperation.
Anyways, you won't jinx anything as long as you connect your USB to exactly same USB plug on your desktop. If you plug in some different physical plug, just repeat the process of installing driver for that plug. Yeah, I know it sounds weird but things with USB are as they are (and not actually MS fault).

2019-2-4
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-4 08:44
Pity I did not notice this thread before. I could save some desperation or exasperation.
Anyways, you won't jinx anything as long as you connect your USB to exactly same USB plug on your desktop. If you plug in some different physical plug, just repeat the process of installing driver for that plug.  Yeah, I know it sounds weird but things with USB are as they are (and not actually MS fault).

Hey, it finally resulted in your GREAT suggestion.  I'll try using the same usb port but ..... (human frailty!)

Microsoft is just a few miles away from where I can fly my drone other than my own single family lot.  They can handle the grief! (g)
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're very sorry for the inconvenience caused. Regarding your concern, this issue was already forwarded to our engineering team and they are now aware of the issue. We will update you all, once we have an update and solution to this issue. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thanks for your understanding.
2019-2-4
Use props
Normf
lvl.1

I have not managed to get PTP to work, but I have only tried to see if it works as my preferred method is always with SD card.

I can see my images on the SD card while in the smart controller but cannot find them when I put the sard in my PC. I don't get it. I would prefer to contect the Smart Controller direct to PC but have not been able to get that to work  either??
2019-9-6
Use props
TLTC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248389 ft

If I put my sd card in the smart controller rather than in the drone, can I record there instead of putting the card in the drone and will it record sound onto the card also???
2019-9-7
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

TLTC Posted at 9-7 10:41
If I put my sd card in the smart controller rather than in the drone, can I record there instead of putting the card in the drone and will it record sound onto the card also???

I don't think that works.  I don't think that the video images can be transported fast enough from the drone's camera to the SC.   You can transfer them after taken by using the Preview/Review Icon just below the Camera Settings Icon (lower right side) and then use the small download icon.  Pictures transfer pretty fast but videos can take minutes - which is why I suspect that recording in real time between drone and Smart Controller probably won't work.
2019-9-7
Use props
DDens
New
Flight distance : 334954 ft

As you know, SC running android... you can install 3-party apk... I'm using AirDroid, works fine w/o any cables!)
2019-10-5
Use props
jorn.howlid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166604 ft
Norway

DDens Posted at 10-5 19:09
As you know, SC running android... you can install 3-party apk... I'm using AirDroid, works fine w/o any cables!)

The CrytsalSky works fine as an USB disk, no problems connecting to PC via cable. Strange they did not implement this function on SC:

However; DropBox works fine on SC, then you only need a WiFi connection, no cable at all..

But I cannot install DropBox on CrystalSky, that is strange and sad!
2019-12-12
Use props
LarpArmy
New

United States

So, is this the way it's supposed to be?
Buy this controller and then somehow try to figure out how to get your pics and videos off of it.
Some solutions "kinda" work some of the time.
Sometimes I can figure it out - sometimes I just run out of time.
What a pos
2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules