change atitude units for camera properties
1722 13 2019-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trooper1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26611 ft
United States

I completed a P4 mapping flight programed with the Map Pilot app. The altitude in each of the P4 camera properties is meters. see attached picture that shows the
jpg properties. I need the jpg properties altitude to be in feet. I already had the units, in both the dji go and map pilot apps set to imperial units. How can I access the P4 camera to change settings to change the properties?
jpg prop.JPG
2019-1-29
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's way too high !!! ???
2019-1-29
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

That figure is the elevation of the ground under the p4, not the AGL height of the P4.  The jpgs captured by the P4 camera embed the elevation of the ground in each pic. I need to change that figure to feet, so that I can further process the jpg data into contour data, using the Drone2Map program.
2019-1-29
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just checking ;) - lol - Have you changed the setting in the go app to feet? or is there a setting in the Map app to convert...? I use dronedeploy...
2019-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trooper1 Posted at 1-29 23:26
That figure is the elevation of the ground under the p4, not the AGL height of the P4.  The jpgs captured by the P4 camera embed the elevation of the ground in each pic. I need to change that figure to feet, so that I can further process the jpg data into contour data, using the Drone2Map program.

1.  It's not the altitude of the ground  (how could that be and what use would it be?)
It's the altitude above sea level (in metres) of the point where the photo was taken.

2.  There's no way to change the units.  It will always be expressed in metres

3.   Will your program only accept altitude data in feet?
Any decent program would also work in metres.

2019-1-30
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

Labroides, You are correct: it's the altitude of the P4. D2M converts these pic elevs into ground elevations. Thanks for your thoughts.  After all my research, I suspected I can't change the camera units; I just wanted someone more knowledgeable of the P4 camera,  to confirm it to me, before I create a work around procedure.  Of course, I've verified that the units in both dji go and map pilot are set to imperial. I'm trying to optimize the accuracy of contour data, created using the P4 and Drone2Map. I just confirmed that I can fly P4 on two consecutive missions in both orientations, N-S & E-W, within the same JPG folder and D2M will process all of these JPGs, together so that we can get way more coverage of the ground. I capture accurate gps data at 5 points, GCPs, within the flight area in an X pattern, marked with 5-gal paint can lids, geo link these data points in D2M to their positions within the P4 pics to improve the accuracy. Without the gcp data, I get an accuracy of +/- 3.5' doing this method.  This is still lame; now I'll use the GCP data.  The goal is sub foot ground
elevations, which I'm not optimistic can be achieved without the new P4 RTK model.  the Drone2Map subscription costs $1,500/yr, which is the cheapest of all of the drone data processing options, including a paid drone deploy subscription.  DD allows creation of missions with the free subscription, but that's not enough service for a map maker.
2019-1-30
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71936 ft
United States

I wish the DJI GO4 app included the altitude in the images file's EFIX.
2019-1-30
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JeffreyS Posted at 1-30 08:46
I wish the DJI GO4 app included the altitude in the images file's EFIX.

I'm sure there is JefferyS
2019-1-30
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

Is it possible to port an ipad directly into the P4, like when we do firmware updates, to access the camera properties? The camera should have a setting to change the units in the EXIF properties
2019-1-30
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just checked on this image and it does have both ASL (absolute +369.41m) and AGL (relative +21.50m) - In Metres in the EXIF data in the image. Think your stuck with metres...

2019-01-30.png
2019-1-30
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

Thank you! I'd not found such a display of backend JPG data, using just the windows tools.  I really appreciate you opening it in flickr  One would think that the exif data would use the gps figure, for the home point, as either DJI Go or Map pilot reports it in feet. Apparently, the camera converts the home position figure into meters as a default function. I have both DJI GO and Map pilot set to imperial units
2019-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

trooper1 Posted at 1-30 10:12
Thank you! I'd not found such a display of backend JPG data, using just the windows tools.  I really appreciate you opening it in flickr  One would think that the exif data would use the gps figure, for the home point, as either DJI Go or Map pilot reports it in feet. Apparently, the camera converts the home position figure into meters as a default function. I have both DJI GO and Map pilot set to imperial units

You are confusing a few things.
When the drone records a home point, that is only lat and long.
There is no altitude recorded for the home point.

You can set the app to display in feet or metres.
The recorded flight data is saved in both formats.
But the camera is independent of the app.
The camera takes it's position and altitude data directly from the GPS receiver in the Phantom - not the app in your phone or tablet.
2019-1-30
Use props
trooper1
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-30 21:33
You are confusing a few things.
When the drone records a home point, that is only lat and long.
There is no altitude recorded for the home point.

I understand, but the point is moot since not being able to change units in the camera prevents me from projecting the lat and long, wgs84, coord system of the jpgs into a state plane, foot projection. I've tried: the output remains meters. To overcome this meter-only limitation, within the Drone2Map software, it's necessary to multiply the contour data output by .3048, so that the generated contours will be in feet.
2019-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

trooper1 Posted at 1-30 21:47
I understand, but the point is moot since not being able to change units in the camera prevents me from projecting the lat and long, wgs84, coord system of the jpgs into a state plane, foot projection. I've tried: the output remains meters. To overcome this meter-only limitation, within the Drone2Map software, it's necessary to multiply the contour data output by .3048, so that the generated contours will be in feet.

Is another mapping program the solution?
Or perhaps you could move to an advanced country that uses the metric system?

2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules