Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IOS or Android?
1979 26 2019-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Speedbird84
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307762 ft
Belgium

Hi folks,

What do you prefer to fly your MA? Android or IOS devices? What are the pro and cons?

Single SelectVote, Total 46 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

36.96% (17)
63.04% (29)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-1-30
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

For me its IOS .....not had a single issue since buying an iPad mini4 whereas had endless issues with Samsung s5 s6 s7 s8 prior to buying iPads
2019-1-30
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.3
Belgium

M2Wair Posted at 1-30 10:00
For me its IOS .....not had a single issue since buying an iPad mini4 whereas had endless issues with Samsung s5 s6 s7 s8 prior to buying iPads

Now I use Iphone X and also cant complain about it.
2019-1-30
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 1-30 10:00

I'm using Ipad mini 4 also, but I also use a Tab s2 but only on Litchi because it always crashes w/Go 4. I do have a s7 Edge that works ok w/Go 4 that I used before the ipad but I like the bigger screen.

2019-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IOS is King when used with DJI products - despite crystal sky being android
2019-1-30
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I am not necesserily partial to any.particular OS but this is 2019.

Surely both IOS and Android should get the same attention these days.
2019-1-30
Use props
Monkey007
Captain
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

IOS 100% if I have a choice, that Android usb charging can be annoying at times
2019-1-30
Use props
Monkey007
Captain
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

*DM* Posted at 1-30 11:50
I am not necesserily partial to any.particular OS but this is 2019.

Surely both IOS and Android should get the same attention these days.

With the new Smart Controller being Android, would you expect more attention on the Android version from DJI?
2019-1-30
Use props
BKahuna
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I use my LG v20 Android phone and my iPad Mini 4 about equally.  I also use them both with GO4 and Litchi.  I've never had any problems with either device running either control software.
2019-1-30
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

I used different Android phones, Samsung S5, S7 Edge, S9+. Now I use a dedicated Samsung Galaxy S5 (nothing on it except DJI Go4, works well). I know Dji prefers iOS to Android, I don't care I prefer Android as OS.   
2019-1-30
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.3
Belgium

Thx for the reply folks!
2019-1-30
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

what needs to be examined for perform of the type of os accommodation is the propensity for glitches such as application halts and or freezing requiring preemptive task force quit

the greater the hardware horse power, instructions executed per unit time, the better, and normally that is determined by the processor horse power and supporting buffering manage.

evidently phones processors and their internal memory have substantially improved, to host remarkably, lots of tasks and likely multi-tasking mode
2019-1-30
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

I purchased a new iPad Air last year  to try with my Mavic Pro. After one week it forgot my fingerprint and friend's son really stuffed it trying to recover so then all the smoke came out when I hit it with a 10Lb log splitter.

Although it cost me 2 days wages I am glad that I did when I read stuff like this Apple Spyware and this Apple admits to slowing older devices I have no trust in this sneaky company.

So then I purchased a nice Lenovo Tab3 8Plus for half the cost of the Apple POS and it has not missed a beat in over 12 months.

I did some homework first. The Lenovo runs a pretty pure version of Android with no pesky manufacturer overlays. Of course it is dedicated to the Mavic Pro, all updates disabled so quite happy with the device.

DJI should test the Lenovo devices as they handle DJI Go quite smoothly for the price.
2019-1-30
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've always been an Android fan, still am for my phone. I read where the iPad looked better in the sun, so I got an iPad Mini 4, it does work better and the screen is brighter.
2019-1-30
Use props
Skeeter Honey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

I voted Android because for me it's more convenient for most applications.  For some, though, my iPad is superior.  I haven't run into the same issues as others though.  

For example, I have a Galaxy Note 9 and its battery is king, so no charging issue.  BUT my iPad sucks power and depletes the controller quickly while losing ridiculous power itself.

Tap fly and the directional orientation is better on the iPad, but the app seems to be better suited for me on the Samsung.

Meh.  This isn't really one of those gripes I felt I could get behind.
2019-1-30
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

Just be careful if you use one of these Sneaky Phones, more problems than an iphone  
2019-1-30
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

The only slight annoyance with Android devices is that you cant disable constant charging which has been mentioned previously. DJI explained why and there is apparently no way round.

I wonder by how much this effectively reduces controller battery life. - Perhaps someone will make a comparison?

Other than that I love my Note 8, the (relatively) large screen and over 1000 Nits brightness.
2019-1-30
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Monkey007 Posted at 1-30 12:38
With the new Smart Controller being Android, would you expect more attention on the Android version from DJI?

Hope dies last.
2019-1-31
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What makes people think they have more resources on Apple IOS than Android?

Apple IOS is a locked down OS provided by 1 supplier so it is consistent.
Android is a modified OS by all the manufacturers to attempt to obtain competitive advantage over other Android device manufacturers. Including very inconsistent hardware.

This is why DJI make the call on supported Android devices that they test with. I would expect that they have significantly more resources dealing with Android than iOS as it's a more difficult platform to support.

DJI with both the CrystalSky and the new Smart-controller have a constant HW platform to deploy to and support. Unfortunately the CrystalSky has been abstracted too far from the generic Google play infrastructure, and has become a PITA to support for them.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

2019-1-31
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 1-31 03:17

Yes, agree 100%, .. same goes for choice between Mac/Windows IMO

I was a "Windows" software developer for many years, .. got sick of having to reload the OS regularly because of slowdown/crashes. I purchased the highest spec iMac 9 years ago and apart from adding some RAM have not had a slowdown/crash/hang since I got it. Just starting to think about upgrading to a new one now. They cost way more but there's a lot to be said for a locked down OS and quality hardware!
2019-1-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Speedbird84. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this poll. I hope many will participate and you'll get the best answer for this poll here from our valued DJI Mambers and Customers on there experiences. Thank you for choosing DJI.
2019-2-1
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.3
Belgium

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-1 13:08
Hello and good day Speedbird84. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this poll. I hope many will participate and you'll get the best answer for this poll here from our valued DJI Mambers and Customers on there experiences. Thank you for choosing DJI.

Thx Stephen,

This is my first DJI drone and I like it a lot!
2019-2-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Speedbird84 Posted at 2-2 06:56
Thx Stephen,

This is my first DJI drone and I like it a lot!

You are very much welcome Speedbird84. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-2-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Given those two choices - I would prefer to Fly iOS, but DJI choose to use Android with their CrystalSkys; thus stuck with Android.  

What I would really prefer is DJI cut out all bloat, eliminated childish anti-hack code, and optimized GO-4.
2019-2-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

bjr981s Posted at 1-31 03:17

DJI with both the CrystalSky and the new Smart-controller have a constant HW platform to deploy to and support.

For constant HW platform, and consistent version of Android OS to run on CrystalSky the results run counter too...

DJI would have been better off licensing Unix or going with Linux, and creating CrystalSky and new Smart-controller with hardware that ran Unix or Linux.

2019-2-7
Use props
Tomcatuk
Captain
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Has to be iOS for me as do not have anything android...
2019-2-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

On the box it says made for IOS/apple.
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now