Controller disconnect - what to do
3388 6 2019-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

On my last flight, I had several controller disconnects. Fortunately, the RTH worked and the drone was returned undamaged but it's shaken my confidence. On one occasion I noticed I still had good signal on the controller screen (but nothing on the DJI Go 4 App) and I had manual control of the drone. It kept trying to reconnect and I lost control (albeit in a safe manner).

Wondering whether just unplugging my tablet when this happens and manually guiding it home would be the best course of action as wondering if the controller trying to connect to the app caused some of the issues? My suspicion is that because I'm using a cheap but not recommended tablet (Acer Iconia) that it was struggling to run the app as I think something else was running in the background.

2019-1-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. About the disconnection issue, nothing for you to worry as long as the home point is recorded properly and you have good reception or GPS that would be fine. And Fail safe feature will work too. And also one of the causes disconnecting from the Aircraft is interference. About Unplugging the Device from the Controller no need for you to do that seems it's not the device itself. The only thing you can say if device issue if you have the Disconnected in gray notification on the upper left hand on the camera view from the App. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-30 11:43
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. About the disconnection issue, nothing for you to worry as long as the home point is recorded properly and you have good reception or GPS that would be fine. And Fail safe feature will work too. And also one of the causes disconnecting from the Aircraft is interference. About Unplugging the Device from the Controller no need for you to do that seems it's not the device itself. The only thing you can say if device issue if you have the Disconnected in gray notification on the upper left hand on the camera view from the App. Thank you for your support.

A full disconnect means you cannot control the drone using the RC and a RTH procedure is started automatically 3 seconds after a full disconnect.

Sometimes only the app crashes, but the RC <> AC connection is still there, so still in control of the drone.
Sometimes the the little attitude/compass is still working, so with the use of that info you can fly the drone back home.

I use android for my go 4 app on several devices (not on the DJI list), 4 GB RAM memory and a good processor does the trick. My latest small tablet is a Xiaomi pad4, good specs and first impressions is OK.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 1-30 12:02
A full disconnect means you cannor controlt the drone using the RC and a RTH procedure is started automatically 3 seconds after a full disconnect.

Sometimes only the app crashes, but the RC  AC connection is still there, so still in control of the drone.

Yes, that's right and thank you for additional information. Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-1-30
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Must have had a full disconnect, then, as it did initiate RTH, which worked, thankfully.

2019-1-30
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Change to fcc mode and the issue is solved trust me
And maybe also use a better device.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-30
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I don't think FCC mode would have an effect in this case. I hadn't gone any further than I have been before, without problems and the drone was very close. I suspect it's the crappy tablet I'm using.

Edit: switching to FCC mode doesn't appear to work on the version I have. Got the fake GPS working OK but the option to view radio channels seems to be missing so don't know what mode I'm in

2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules