Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is Story mode useless? Overly hyped?
2993 33 2019-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else feels Story mode is useless?  I get it it’s mainly for social media, but not being able to remove the logo in the end, same music, and final videos at a bitrate of  less than 15 mbps I rather do everything manually.  Also, you can’t use the WiFi module in Story mode. I guess I expected more of Story mode because all the hype it created.  I wish there was a way to save those 2-3 seconds scenes individually vs a complete story.  All my social videos will look the same with the same scenes.  Anyone else feels this way or is it just me?  
2019-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would like to hear from all those who were tearing their hair out because they hadn’t got Story mode, maybe they will come along and explain why it was soooo important we got it, but yes just looking at it today it seem like fur coat no knickers..
2019-1-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-30 12:50
I would like to hear from all those who were tearing their hair out because they hadn’t got Story mode, maybe they will come along and explain why it was soooo important we got it, but yes just looking at it today it seem like fur coat no knickers..

Indeed.  And I also forgot to mention the “Osmo Pocket” watermark at the bottom left corner, where I see no option of removing unless I missed a switch off option.   Story mode is nothing but a marketing tool for DJI to promote their amazing tiny camera.  But please let me decide what to put on my videos.  The app is free but I paid for the camera.  
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

I feel like this is still work in progress. DJI came up with "something" to buy more time to do it properly and possibly without the too aggressive marketing... watermarks, freshly baked watermarks, come and get some. Poor videos feel like livestock when branded, lol.
2019-1-30
Use props
mavicfun
lvl.1
United States

Oh no...I haven't used it yet. Just saw that the update is finally available. Is it lame??
2019-1-30
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Who gives a flying F about story mode....they made an incredible product and have updated it TWICE in under 30 days.  

Go use story mode on your GoPro if you're not happy....oh, that's right, there isn't one.
2019-1-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Upscaleman Posted at 1-30 13:39
Who gives a flying F about story mode....they made an incredible product and have updated it TWICE in under 30 days.  

Go use story mode on your GoPro if you're not happy....oh, that's right, there isn't one.

I’m just saying.  I expected more from all the hype it got.  I manually edit everything anyways.  And yes, GoPro has Quik and is freaking amazing!  You can even edit non GoPro videos with it too in seconds.  And btw, I have also edited Osmo Pocket videos there too.  Everything else, I use Premiere Pro. =)
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Joemar7 Posted at 1-30 13:43
I’m just saying.  I expected more from all the hype it got.  I manually edit everything anyways.  And yes, GoPro has Quik and is freaking amazing!  You can even edit non GoPro videos with it too in seconds.  And btw, I have also edited Osmo Pocket videos there too.  Everything else, I use Premiere Pro. =)

Sir, you are brilliant.
2019-1-30
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"today it seem like fur coat no knickers.."

Lol, .. you've given me my first laugh of the day!
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

forbsie Posted at 1-30 14:07
"today it seem like fur coat no knickers.."

Lol, .. you've given me my first laugh of the day!

Yeah, but it's just 9:19am down there.
2019-1-30
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-30 14:19
Yeah, but it's just 9:19am down there.

true, but still gave me chuckle!
2019-1-30
Use props
Atomicodex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1099268 ft
United States

It needs work. At the very least we need to be able to change the text and have more choices for audio.
2019-1-30
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

I never had any intention of using Story Mode. It seems like a gimmick for amatuers.
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2647756 ft
  • >>>
United States

RSW Posted at 1-30 15:11
I never had any intention of using Story Mode. It seems like a gimmick for amatuers.

Same here.  I had completely forgotten about it until the update.  -RJ
2019-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Atomicodex Posted at 1-30 15:02
It needs work. At the very least we need to be able to change the text and have more choices for audio.

You can be sure of one thing, dji will continue to work on this to improve it, editor was similar and it’s much improved now, so I suppose give it Time , using drones or osmos is not all about been professional in that’s a very small part of it, it’s about having fun and enjoying the hobby.
2019-1-30
Use props
DjDaxx
lvl.2

United States

I don’t mind the logo and the Osmo pocket watermark at all.  You do know they had to license music and pay someone to prepare the templates, filters and motion of the OP.    A little publicity on their part is all good.   Beside you didn’t edit it they did.  If I don’t want that on there I’ll drop it and Lumafusion and edit the footage myself and drop in a song from my artlist.io subscription, because postable music costs money.
2019-1-30
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

RSW Posted at 1-30 15:11

Me too .... perhaps it is for beginners without own ideas ?  
2019-1-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BeterBan Posted at 1-30 16:44
Me too .... perhaps it is for beginners without own ideas ?

Have you seen the Osmo Pocket advertising?  It showed me what their camera can do. The OP is app dependent and their videos show what is capable of so I bought one. I really don’t need Story Mode, but the hype was ridiculous to say the least is crap compared to the Quik app.  I have all the bells in whistles in my pc but lately mobile apps have made it easy to edit on the fly. Tools are tools and who uses them are only limited to their creativity.  I give credit to DJI for giving us this tool, but it’s very limited compared to other free apps out there.
2019-1-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DjDaxx Posted at 1-30 16:14
I don’t mind the logo and the Osmo pocket watermark at all.  You do know they had to license music and pay someone to prepare the templates, filters and motion of the OP.    A little publicity on their part is all good.   Beside you didn’t edit it they did.  If I don’t want that on there I’ll drop it and Lumafusion and edit the footage myself and drop in a song from my artlist.io subscription, because postable music costs money.

Have you tried removing the watermark without cropping out the video or  without losing resolution?   I get the whole licensing thing but I already have paid DJI enough money including accessories so that I can use freely what they advertise.  
2019-1-30
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Although story mode is a novelty item now, I believe it harbors some potential. If they get rid of all the music, logos etc; and give us a library of single shot motion presets instead, it might be quite useful...
2019-1-30
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

That's exactly my opinion, when everybody was shouting, that Story Mode is missing! We will see thousand of more or less idential clips.
2019-1-30
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Story Mode = GPS Mode – boring... Maybe as a highlight introduction, but the clips should to be choosable...
2019-1-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

FWIW, I wasn't looking for it (from the start).  Seemed like a nice gimmick for the less-than-talented-in-the-design-and-edit-skills- area :-)  And eventually it became such a topic of complaint (promises broken crap), clogging up forum comments, that I grew to despise it !!!  So, it's useless to me, only because it adds nothing I need, whether it 'works' or not.
2019-1-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

......... but yes just looking at it today it seem like "fur coat no knickers"..

And in the upper midwest, USA today, we need those knickers.  Minus 28 F and 20 mph winds are rattling the chestnuts.
2019-1-31
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 1-31 06:26
And in the upper midwest, USA today, we need those knickers.  Minus 28 F and 20 mph winds are rattling the chestnuts.

74 degrees in Mesa Arizona today.Life is good.
2019-1-31
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Maybe mighty trumpy will finally sign that climate change conventions... or, just tweet some random troll to the nation...
2019-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Keep warm and safe.
2019-1-31
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

It would make sense for me to choose the right style and then make the typical camera movements at startup and shutdown and ready.
No inscription, no music, no picture effect, no logo.
Afterwards, everyone edits and plays it the way they want, and then the internet will not be full of the same little movies.
No one will use it this way.
2019-1-31
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

Story mode has been in MIMO since the start, but only for videos you already had on your device, and no editing etc at all, but it was enough to show how story mode worked and what it was (or wasn't)
2019-1-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

"Warming" trend today... Rose to -8 F and wind finally died.  Thx for the good wishes.
2019-1-31
Use props
zoom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97402 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Its not why I got a OP its a nice little addition but not mission critical ... but if your on the road traveling it allows simple videos to be made quickly and posted

I like that DJI put it in MIMO .. its not for everyone
2019-1-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-31 08:41
Maybe mighty trumpy will finally sign that climate change conventions... or, just tweet some random troll to the nation...

[snicker] his tweet troll about wishing global warming would come back was typically pathetic.  If he want further proof of climate change he can just head to Australia (not that they'd let him in) where record HIGH temps are causing suffering.  

Took the Pocket outside for a few minutes today.  Worked fine in the sub-zeros but after 5 minutes it seemed to lag a little.  Not worth the risk to life and limb either.
2019-1-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

zoom Posted at 1-31 16:33
Its not why I got a OP its a nice little addition but not mission critical ... but if your on the road traveling it allows simple videos to be made quickly and posted

I like that DJI put it in MIMO .. its not for everyone

And you hit on the right points, Zoom. I agree.

It's about convenience and speed, and if you don't have the need you simply don't use it (rather than criticise it). I'm no beginner, and I also edit my videos with professional tools, but I see that Story Mode could be useful if you're out on the road and want to quickly post something up to Facebook (or whatever). I'll be visiting Europe in June, and I forsee that this could be useful for some quick video postcards.

But I'd also like to have it changed to remove advertising watermarks too. A little rude of DJI to self-promote the product that way...
2019-1-31
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

mavicfun Posted at 1-30 13:37
Oh no...I haven't used it yet. Just saw that the update is finally available. Is it lame??

Pretty lame........iMovie's trailer is more dynamic and professional looking
2019-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules