Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bj0rn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166289 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello,

Is there any way to download a continent or country in the offline maps for the DJI Smart controller? There used to be this option with android devices and offline maps but it seems that I can only download a really smap region with the smart controller. Any help will be appreciated. I’ve attached a picture for how small it is at the moment...

Thanks,
Bjorn
E406B5F5-4395-4513-8D95-BE3135F442CB.jpeg
2019-1-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

I also would like an option for a larger section to be downloaded.

Also, I may be missing the point but what does:

"Offline map is only available with standard map" mean?
2019-1-31
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3172890 ft
United States

ff22 Posted at 1-31 07:21
I also would like an option for a larger section to be downloaded.

Also, I may be missing the point but what does:

That means no Hybrid or satellite version without an internet connection.......
2019-1-31
Use props
Gibor
lvl.2
Germany

Hello there,

I've the same question because I'll go for holidays to australia and don't have any internet-connection in the outback.

regards
Heiner
2019-2-4
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Gibor Posted at 2-4 08:41
Hello there,

I've the same question because I'll go for holidays to australia and don't have any internet-connection in the outback.

At the moment, it seems you will have to do it piece by piece in advance, where you have wifi.  Or use your phone to create a wifi hotspot (expensive, possibly)
2019-2-4
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

ff22 Posted at 2-4 08:57
At the moment, it seems you will have to do it piece by piece in advance, where you have wifi.  Or use your phone to create a wifi hotspot (expensive, possibly)

I have no problem with piece by piece, but is there a memory limit to how many pieces it will hold, or any other problems I might have. I haven't bought the smart controller yet, just deciding if I should?
2019-2-4
Use props
flypanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 147382 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

ff22 Posted at 2-4 08:57

piece by piece is good but it would be very helpful if the section could be larger
2019-2-4
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

flypanda Posted at 2-4 10:06
piece by piece is good but it would be very helpful if the section could be larger

How large is each downloadable section? I don't have a smart controller yet
2019-2-4
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2-4 11:30
How large is each downloadable section? I don't have a smart controller yet

Not large in either map scale or file size.  I just took two quickie screen shots.  Size varies by the area (possibly more dense info versus rural/remote).  If you notice at the bottom of the second screenshot there's about 7gigs available.  Looks as if it does not use the sd-card for storage.

2019-2-4
Use props
Gibor
lvl.2
Germany

Hi there,

is there a plan to reactivate the download of offlinemaps like before?
Why did you remove this option from your software?

for me this function is very important.
Maybe you can present another solution than the piece by piece download?
2019-2-10
Use props
Jacques Schijven
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1025164 ft
Netherlands

Gibor Posted at 2-10 01:07
Hi there,

Hi Gibor,

I'm also using the Smartcontroller and was figuring out why there was no localy cached map on my screen when I was flying. I found a post from december 2017 (!!! https://forum.dji.com/thread-123846-1-1.html) about this problem. It's still not solved en nobody can tell me when it should be.
Using my Phone as a hotspotis an option, but I want to disable WiFi and Bluetooth while flying.
2019-2-10
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Gibor Posted at 2-10 01:07
Hi there,

I was able to download maps - at least, I think that they are on the device as they show up in the list of offline maps.  But, frankly, I have not been to those areas yet to see if they show up on the device.  Flying in my backyard, I still have a wifi signal so that does not test anything.  I don't know if turning off the wifi would test or if the maps of my area are already downloaded.
2019-2-10
Use props
djiuser_muRkph8FsuWW
New
Germany

DJI is using a software called MapBox, this software is quite limited when it comes to downloading big areas. So I dont see DJI improving this functionality any time soon, it sucks but is what it is.
This is from the mapbox website:
Limitations
An app can download multiple regions for offline use, but the total offline download is capped at a maximum tile count “ceiling” across all downloaded regions. The SDK sets the tile ceiling to 6,000 tiles by default but can be raised for paid plans. Use our Tile Count Estimator to calculate the number of tiles required for your offline use case. Six thousand tiles cover a region roughly the size of Greater London within the M25 at zoom levels 0–15 or the contiguous United States at zoom levels 0–9. The size of these tiles on disk will vary according to the selected style.

The Maps SDK places no limit on the number of offline regions that may be created. Your Mapbox-powered application will reuse tiles and resources that are required by multiple regions, conserving network traffic and disk space.

The SDK also places no limit on the download speed of offline regions, nor to disk space used by offline resources. The limits will depend on the storage capacity of the mobile device and the speed of the network to which it is connected.

2019-6-15
Use props
fans6765b5ea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 805751 ft

ff22 Posted at 2-10 09:15
I was able to download maps - at least, I think that they are on the device as they show up in the list of offline maps.  But, frankly, I have not been to those areas yet to see if they show up on the device.  Flying in my backyard, I still have a wifi signal so that does not test anything.  I don't know if turning off the wifi would test or if the maps of my area are already downloaded.

Is it possible to download a HYBRID map, zoom out, zoom back in, leave the controller ON while you to to site, and have it kept in cache without losing the hybrid?
2019-9-12
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

If you look at the Mapbox SDK it explains all this.
There's a tile limit and size/area per tile is defined by the zoom level.  Its also a per device constraint.

Ultimately, as long as DJI use MapBox you're not going to be able to get huge areas of offline maps.

As to using maps in the outback/middle of nowhere, surely maps are even less useful there if there are no clear natural features to see?  The radar mode is far more useful than maps.  Its rare i need to know exactly where my drone IS on a map.  Its far more useful to know where it is relative to me, where its facing relative to me, where im facing relative to it along with roll/pitch.  And all of that is provided by the radar display not the map.
2019-9-15
Use props
fans5ffaafe3
New

Australia

fans6765b5ea Posted at 2019-9-12 09:50
Is it possible to download a HYBRID map, zoom out, zoom back in, leave the controller ON while you to to site, and have it kept in cache without losing the hybrid?

I just checked. Turned off wifi. Powered down and up and maps were cached in sat and mixed to the zoom level of places I was zooming to before.
2020-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules