Second Officer

United Kingdom

Taken during the winter close down.

Click image to start video.
2019-2-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your sample shots here. Well done. Cheers!
2019-2-1
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done, thanks.
2019-2-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well done, great time lapse
2019-2-1
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Wonderful video! Enjoyed watching it
2019-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job Ray enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
2019-2-2
Use props
Team K
lvl.1
Russia

2019-2-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 01:56
Great job Ray enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

Hi Hallmark.
I noticed you asked for footage from the newer update on another post.
On this video, the first workshop interior was done on the new firmware as was the walk along the side of the tall ship and the pan upwards on the crane. The walk past the destroyer was on the second update as was the second look at the railway workshop. The sunset timelapse was on the latest update while the destroyer timelapse was on the original firmware and the opening timelapse was on the second firmware update. Most of the problems though I put down to my inexperience and I'm slowly getting better at getting to know how to set it up to get better results.
2019-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-2 06:59
Hi Hallmark.
I noticed you asked for footage from the newer update on another post.
On this video, the first workshop interior was done on the new firmware as was the walk along the side of the tall ship and the pan upwards on the crane. The walk past the destroyer was on the second update as was the second look at the railway workshop. The sunset timelapse was on the latest update while the destroyer timelapse was on the original firmware and the opening timelapse was on the second firmware update. Most of the problems though I put down to my inexperience and I'm slowly getting better at getting to know how to set it up to get better results.

I tend not to be to critical of people’s work, they normally can do that themselves, but honestly I’m impressed with what you achieved and the potential of the Osmo Pocket , and I fully agree with you it will be a case of the camera man making the best out of OP.

BTW 2 new Panasonic LUMIX full frame cameras are using contrast focus, so well see how the get on with that.
2019-2-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-2 12:43
I tend not to be to critical of people’s work, they normally can do that themselves, but honestly I’m impressed with what you achieved and the potential of the Osmo Pocket , and I fully agree with you it will be a case of the camera man making the best out of OP.

BTW 2 new Panasonic LUMIX full frame cameras are using contrast focus, so well see how the get on with that.

Hi Hallmark.
I still have some way to go to get the best out of the Osmo Pocket but I see its potential and possible workarounds. Coming from ICL cameras rather than dedicated camcorders I have been fighting the limitations of using such devices for just over eighteen months now, such as.

Lens chatter when trying to focus. Which produces not only a very disturbing earthquake like shudder into footage but also a tremendous amount of noise from the lens focus motors of such cameras that gets picked up by any nearby microphones.

Hunting for focus in low light situations to the point that I've missed any appropriate action before it has worked.

Having to find workarounds that don't introduce too many artifacts or noise into the video image on the fly.

Using up too many shutter actuations in a time-lapse sequence to justify its use without having direct feedback in live view to see if it worked as planned before I start.

No real inbuilt image stabilisation for decent footage when hand-holding, so resorting most of the time to either tripod use or using a glide-cam which takes a lot of time to set up and is too heavy to use for more than a few minutes at a time. The combination is also very difficult to use in even a slight breeze.

Such cameras have their uses though, which the Osmo Pocket doesn't have, such as a better low light performance from a grain and noise perspective as I can normally shoot at much lower ISO values than I can with something with a much smaller sensor.
Full manual control over focusing if really needed.
Being able in difficult shooting conditions to cheat by narrowing the aperture to get greater depth of focus over a wider area.
Being able to select an exact point of focus which will track amazingly well in good light across a frame.

But for me at least, the Pockets power will be really easy and light to use on the move. The fixed angle of view is a small price to pay for such mobility and stable footage.

As a partnership of devices to help me make better videos it will be invaluable to me and can operate as a remote, semi-autonomous cameraman.
This time last year I could not have even imagined such a possibility, and the amount of different uses I have in my head to try out in the coming year is almost limitless.
Most of it will be hard to achieve I guess and a lot of planning and reject material will end up being deleted but that's no change for me, I'm used to it.

Yes, the new generations of mirrorless cameras in the last year are amazing, whether from Lumix, Sony, Nikon, Canon, or others, but their introduction price levels are getting out of hand for anyone not making a living out of it. I already own over £12,000 of DSLR gear acquired over a few years now and will have to continue to use it for some time to come to justify it's the cost in my life so I'm stuck with it and can't justify another expenditure of over £3,000 for a new camera body with the possibility of having to upgrade my existing lenses to match.

I could buy three Osmo Pockets for the price of one decent DSLR lens, and for me, that's more than a bargain. I just think it's an incredible bit of kit for the price and I'm sure it will be an invaluable and useful tool for me.  

Thank you for your kind words but I know my output isn't yet as good or inventive as it is going to get in the future.
Watch this space.
2019-2-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Really nice footage and refreshingly reassuring when somebody posts great footage obtained with the pocket.

Just waiting for the weather here to improve, dark overcast skies and rain keep me home in the warmth.
2019-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-2 15:14
Hi Hallmark.
I still have some way to go to get the best out of the Osmo Pocket but I see its potential and possible workarounds. Coming from ICL cameras rather than dedicated camcorders I have been fighting the limitations of using such devices for just over eighteen months now, such as.

Well I look forward to seeing more of your work, I think the small factor of this camera and the possibility of being able to have it on you most of the time, will help greatly in how much more you will learn about short filiming, sometimes you take out a DSLR use it , it goes back under the stairs and next time you take it out you forgot what you did with it last time, they say practice makes perfect and practice with this camera should be pretty easy.
2019-2-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2-3 04:39
Really nice footage and refreshingly reassuring when somebody posts great footage obtained with the pocket.

Just waiting for the weather here to improve, dark overcast skies and rain keep me home in the warmth.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope the weather improves for you soon or you find a great indoor venue worthy of videoing
2019-2-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-4 11:43
Well I look forward to seeing more of your work, I think the small factor of this camera and the possibility of being able to have it on you most of the time, will help greatly in how much more you will learn about short filiming, sometimes you take out a DSLR use it , it goes back under the stairs and next time you take it out you forgot what you did with it last time, they say practice makes perfect and practice with this camera should be pretty easy.

Oh, grief!

Sadly I'm one of those poor souls that have to have a reason to go out and do anything photo or video related or I would get swamped with too much to do and too little time to get it all done.
I need projects to do, preferably for another party with specific requirements and a brief to get me to go out at all. At present, I am practicing with the Osmo Pocket to get a feel of how to use it and because I currently have an eighteen-month project for the Chatham Dockyards Cinema Locations Advertising Department to cover the dockyards remaining eighty acres of buildings and ships to use as a portfolio to send out to film and TV crews to show off their various period ships and buildings. I have access day and night to turn up when I think the light conditions are right.
I only ever go out with a plan in mind when I'm not breaking in new gear. I'm always open to new projects though, especially if it's something I haven't tackled before.
My main problem is fitting it all in as this is not my line of work but rather a sideline and have to shoehorn this stuff into when I'm free of other work commitments. When I retire in a few years this will then become my mainstay of additional income if I'm lucky to top up my pension.
I'm not young, I'm not glamorous, and definitely not pro at this yet, but I always turn up when I say I will and do what it takes to get something done. The people I do these things for appreciate this and keep me informed of other opportunities. They don't even always use what I turn over to them but often just use the ideas to build something new for themselves. That fine by me. I'm not often short of a new idea.
So, often I need a reason to go out and seldom shoot anything for myself anymore.
That may seem a bit sad but I actually enjoy it that way. It keeps me fresh and thinking.
The main festival season starts here in May and carries on until September so I'm glad for a short, less rushed, break.
I have nearly perfected my 'Ninja Walk' now and have an X-axis stabiliser arriving sometime soon to try out to see if it improves anything even by a small margin.
I'm out again tomorrow to try out some new ideas I think I can only achieve with the Osmo Pocket.
Should be interesting.
2019-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-4 14:08
Oh, grief!

Sadly I'm one of those poor souls that have to have a reason to go out and do anything photo or video related or I would get swamped with too much to do and too little time to get it all done.

Sounds like a very interesting project, good luck with all of that, be interested to know how you get on with Z axis , I find I can ninja walk fine until a crowd turns up.
2019-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules