Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lightning - test photo post
1771 25 2019-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Just a test to see if I can upload photos from video frames...

L1

L1
2-still_1.1.2.jpg
3-still_1.1.3.jpg
4-still_1.1.4.jpg
5-still_1.1.5.jpg
8-still.jpg
2019-2-2
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

That worked. Now I know. They don't show in the text editor so I wasn't sure if it was working.
2019-2-2
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Looks like it worked.
2019-2-2
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-2 03:04
Looks like it worked.

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Best wishes, safe & happy flying!
2019-2-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

HI there, amazing work of yours! Thanks for sharing.
2019-2-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

These are some fabulous shots.
2019-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent stills
2019-2-2
Use props
Proteous
Second Officer
Flight distance : 228993 ft
Barbados

lol if you flew a little closer to the lightning you will get a free spark
2019-2-2
Use props
StetsonWatkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1871611 ft
United States

Wow very nice photos! Thanks for sharing and glad your test worked out as well.
2019-2-2
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

Wow Nice one. All I get is rain, so haven't been able to fly in ages.
2019-2-2
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

pretty cool,, well done,,
2019-2-2
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Cool photos! Where are located? We had some pretty impressive forked lightning in Melbourne a few nights ago, a lot of it travelling sideways.
2019-2-3
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

forbsie Posted at 2-3 03:33
Cool photos! Where are located? We had some pretty impressive forked lightning in Melbourne a few nights ago, a lot of it travelling sideways.

I took a video during the storm the about 4 days ago - from  5 km north of  Kyneton Victoria. Facing south.
Wombat State Forest / Lerderderg State Park is in the horizon.  Melbourne is on the left edge - 80 km away.  Spark was about 120 m above ground level
Half way between sunset & last light. After then it would not be legal to fly at night. The images are slightly grainy. The camera was set to auto. The lightning may have been over exposed had I adjusted the settings manually. I think the Spark camera did a decent job considering.
The 'photos' are frames exported from video via DaVinvi Resolve.

I hope that I have explained everything.
Happy & safe flying to everybody...
2019-2-3
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Wow looks cool!
2019-2-3
Use props
Erez9
Flight distance : 76434 ft
Moldova

How did you do that? I mean you just screenshot during the video?
2019-2-3
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

Nice shots...I got some lightning video, too.  I'm interested to know how many of your frames actually showed lightning???  For my videos, the lightning only lasted 1 or 2 frames.
2019-2-3
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-3 05:57
I took a video during the storm the about 4 days ago - from  5 km north of  Kyneton Victoria. Facing south.
Wombat State Forest / Lerderderg State Park is in the horizon.  Melbourne is on the left edge - 80 km away.  Spark was about 120 m above ground level
Half way between sunset & last light. After then it would not be legal to fly at night. The images are slightly grainy. The camera was set to auto. The lightning may have been over exposed had I adjusted the settings manually. I think the Spark camera did a decent job considering.

Thanks for the explanation! It was some of the most impressive lightning I've seen in Victoria! I think you did a great job in capturing it, .. just shows what Spark is capable of. Cheers mate
2019-2-3
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome shots.
2019-2-3
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice pictures!
2019-2-4
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

forbsie Posted at 2-3 14:40
Thanks for the explanation! It was some of the most impressive lightning I've seen in Victoria! I think you did a great job in capturing it, .. just shows what Spark is capable of. Cheers mate

Another storm tonight in Victoria. I just tested manual mode for the Spark camera. Different light so I can't compare from the other day (6pm vs 8:30pm).  Tonight I learnt that the video colours/brightness are constant in manual mode (confirming many tutorials on the 'net).  I set the ISO & shutter to about 100 manually as a base line. My 'slow' android device was an issue selecting the camera options but it worked eventually.  
As I learn more about video editing software , I can edit & colour grade the video with the computer - but it's harder if auto is selected & everything changes between frames. Best to have manual control & edit manually.  However, auto mode also works for simplicity.  I hope this helps others, even though  I may be repeating what other tutorials recommend. Manual V's Auto can make a difference, if you have 30 seconds to spare from flight time to adjust settings.
2019-2-6
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-6 00:49
Another storm tonight in Victoria. I just tested manual mode for the Spark camera. Different light so I can't compare from the other day (6pm vs 8:30pm).  Tonight I learnt that the video colours/brightness are constant in manual mode (confirming many tutorials on the 'net).  I set the ISO & shutter to about 100 manually as a base line. My 'slow' android device was an issue selecting the camera options but it worked eventually.  
As I learn more about video editing software , I can edit & colour grade the video with the computer - but it's harder if auto is selected & everything changes between frames. Best to have manual control & edit manually.  However, auto mode also works for simplicity.  I hope this helps others, even though  I may be repeating what other tutorials recommend. Manual V's Auto can make a difference, if you have 30 seconds to spare from flight time to adjust settings.
[view_image]

Sky is definitely overexposed. You lost most of details in clouds. Some of them you can rescue by adjusting the level of  highlights, but better underexpose an image then overexpose it.  Keep your EV at around 0.0 by adjusting shutter speed manually.
2019-2-15
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

The thing is on manual...if you adjust the shutter speed and adjust the EV to 0.0...the EV tends to remain on auto and cannot be locked.

I have manually set the shutter speed for sunrises/ sunsets and the EV always wants to adjust automatically.
2019-2-15
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

pmshop Posted at 2-15 05:47
The thing is on manual...if you adjust the shutter speed and adjust the EV to 0.0...the EV tends to remain on auto and cannot be locked.

I have manually set the shutter speed for sunrises/ sunsets and the EV always wants to adjust automatically.

There are only two parameters to adjust in Spark manual camera settings: shutter speed and ISO (OK, white balance too, but it's different thing). So, if you keep your ISO at 100 (it's needed to reduce noise, how we know), the only choice is to adjust your shutter speed the way you want to get your exposure. When there is enough light, correct exposure value is 0,0 (when light is not enough you should trust your own eyes not exposure meter).  
2019-2-15
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

Thank you Lysak2003. Maybe I'm better to use auto mode, as in the first post & adjust each image to be brighter as required? I don't know how much detail I can gain & avoid the grainy effect in dull light compared to over-exposing manually. Every time the Spark camera changed direction toward or away from the sun in auto mode, everything changes - so I have no base line for editing.  I was trying manual mode to make the ground brighter & less grainy, hoping I could recover the sky with video editing software.
To be honest, it's hard to fly, keeping VLOS & stop/start video to adjust settings as the app does not allow adjustments in video mode once recording, only photo mode. My point was to keep consistency, manual mode is required. I need to learn & experience more between auto & manual modes.   It's hard to see the contrast on my android device during flight so I set it before flight in the shade & hoped for the best.
I have my laptop monitor & a VGA/DVI external monitor, plus a Digital TV with HDMI to compare - they all show the clouds on the right hand side with different detail. So it may depend on the viewing device & the contrast setting for each to show detail. My cheap android is not the brightest display outdoors & misleads my vision - thus I make errors & learning to compensate based on the result & your kind feedback.
Regardless, the last image with manual settings is over exposed in the skyline. I'll remember your kind advise next time & try to adjust the shutter speed during flight.
My theory was I could remove the grainy pics by making it brighter & adjust it 'down' as required. I guess it depends on what the main subject is within the frame & the background light. The sun was low, 2.5 hours  before sunset, from the right & reflecting back from white clouds in the background.
Thank you again for your kind help - as I learn from trial & error, I appreciate your time to assist myself & others.
Happy & safe flying!
2019-2-15
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

pmshop Posted at 2-15 05:47
The thing is on manual...if you adjust the shutter speed and adjust the EV to 0.0...the EV tends to remain on auto and cannot be locked.

I thought I was going crazy. I could only adjust shutter & ISO & kept my fingers crossed. Thanks for confirming the EV is not adjustable...  
2019-2-15
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-15 06:30
There are only two parameters to adjust in Spark manual camera settings: shutter speed and ISO (OK, white balance too, but it's different thing). So, if you keep your ISO at 100 (it's needed to reduce noise, how we know), the only choice is to adjust your shutter speed the way you want to get your exposure. When there is enough light, correct exposure value is 0,0 (when light is not enough you should trust your own eyes not exposure meter).

With limited battery time each flight, it takes time to learn. I forgot to enable & monitor the exposure graph. Good idea to keep it balanced near the centre?  I've been too busy enjoying the moment & not learning about the photo settings.

Thanks to everybody for helping with their experience. I appreciate your advise & hope we have helped others to enjoy Spark further.

2019-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules