Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass is not calibrating
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jo2014

Trinidad and Tobago

I successfully flew my phantom 2 for the first time in January (in Phantom mode, not Naza) after calibrating it as per all the instructions.  After that I put it into NAZA mode with the same software.  On Wednesday, I was ready to once again fly but have been unable to get the compass to calibrate on its vertical axis.   The first attempt yielded a flashing of 1 green and then 3 blinking red.  At the time I didn't remember that the Phantom was inNAZA mode as was expecting the LEDs to turn off as per the instructions for successful calibration (but this is when it's in Phantom mode).  So plugged the Phantom into the Assistant and changed it back to Phantom mode.  It appears to calibrate fine on its horizontal axis as the LEDs go from yellow to green but the clockwise spin on the vertical axis results in the LEDs either returning to flashing yellow or fast red flashing (as opposed to turning off which the instructions say means successful compass calibration).

Yesterday, Thursday, I tried advanced IMU calibration with the Assistant software both in Phantom and NAZA modes and still no luck.  (And to complicate matters, the advanced calibration has been returning a message that the temperature of the MC is too hot and to turn off for 15 mins to let it cool down and try again, which I did but still no luck.  Based on what I've read on the net, this temperature warning is some glitch in the software and one should simply ignore it and click through and let the calibration continue. So I have done the turning off of the unit as well).

My Compass Mod value during the advanced calibration was 1272 in Phantom mode and moved up to 1315 when in NAZA mode.  The info in the Assistant says the normal range is between -500 - 500.  I'd be grateful for feedback on this.  

Needless to say, the Phantom's compass is still NOT calibrating on the vertical axis despite following all the IMU calibrating instructions and the clockwise spin on the vertical axis results in the LEDs either returning to flashing yellow or fast red/yellow flashing.  (Note it's on a flat stable surface during calibration, no metal or cell phones around)

So my questions:

1) Can someone please confirm that successful calibration in:
a)  Phantom mode is all LEDs off?
b) NAZA mode is 1 green then red/red/red flashing?

2) What is the normal compass mod value:
a) in Phantom mode?
b) in NAZA mode?

3) Could there be a problem with the GPS in the unit that is causing the compass to not calibrate?  

4) Do I need to go try the whole magnet process I see discussed in some fora?

5) What's your experience with the advanced IMU calibration process? (in terms of how the status bar behaves etc.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  And I'm hoping the DJI folks will come forward with help too please.

2015-6-5
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

Don't confuse compas calibration with satellite connections. Sometime when you do the compass cal. The lights go out after the cal for a split second and the Phantom starts the green. red. red where it is looking for satellites and hasn't gotten a lock yout. When you do the IMU calibration the bird needs to be perfectly level left to right and front to back. Use pennies dimes and even paper under the gear to get it level. If the bird was just turned on and you ger the message MC hot just click through it and do the calibration. After the cal is good then outside do the compass dance. Flip s1 switch  5 times and the lights should flash yellow. Do the dance once around , goes solid green. Flip vertical with battery up, tun it 360 then light should go normal . If it fails it goes red yellow then repeats. If it goes green red red it doing a satellite hunt. If you want before you go the compass cal let it find all the satellites and get a lock. Less confusing with the led's then. Give her another go and take your time. Enjoy!
2015-6-6
Use props
Jo2014

Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks Roy for distinguishing compass cal from satellite lock.  I took it out yesterday and again got the fast flashing red when doing the vertical spin.  So the compass is not calibrating.   I just read your thread from May about the value of compass calibration and saw the different opinions on its value.  I'd rather be safe than sorry so am not taking any chances of flying it without getting the sign that the compass has calibrated.  

Since flying it in January, I've driven with the quad in my car to far off destinations but have not started up the quad while at these places.  Would it still potentially suffer electro-magnetic issues if it wasn't turned on in these other locations?  

Saw some recommendations about using a magnet to help so am going to research that some more.  If still no success will be seeking to send it back to DJI for review.
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules