Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Second Video Using Phantom 3 Advanced, Would Love Comments and Tips
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
james.seidel
lvl.1

United States

Second video, would love any tips or comments from more experienced pilots. Trying to improve my skills so anything helps. Thanks

2015-6-5
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

It's hard to learn - I'm having the same problem myself. When turning/rotating, I'm trying to teach myself to go slower and slower and slower. It's amazing how slow I seem to turn/spin and it still turns out too fast.

One of the guys in my local hobby shop offered me a "challenge" the other day. He said to watch movies carefully now that I'm flying an aerial platform. When there's something like a battle scene, the camera(s) may shoot from a pretty good distance, changing angles now and then and zooming in and out some - and result in some moderately long shooting sequences - on the order of two, three or four minutes. Now, let's get closer up.....

The closer-up sequences are *almost always* much, much shorter sequences, faster change of angles, perspective, etc.

It has finally dawned on me that I don't need to practice so much that I can shoot ten consecutive minutes of video and make people go gah-gah. The secret would appear to be able to shoot five to ten seconds of excellent stuff, then continue in that area and do it again, then do it again, etc. Then, when editing, you can "splice" the video together at your leisure, getting the best effect while leaving some of your stuff on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

I remember many years ago, when film was till popular - yeah, I'm that old! I got seriously interested in photography. I had an acquaintance who had been into for far longer than I and he had lots of hints and tips. One of the most important is easy to do today. He said he would often shoot 10 rolls of film (he did most of his own processing) and maybe come up with only a very few that he thought had potential. The rest literally got thrown away. Today, with digital (I have two semi-expensive DSLRs) it's even easier - you can discard junk almost immediately and storage is so simple you can save stuff out the ying-yang until you have time to get to it.

When my friend offered me this "challenge" about watching the movies/videos, it suddenly dawned on me. I should be shooting videos sort of the same way I've been shooting stills for years. Take a lot, edit and throw away the junk. (Throw away the mistakes!)

Last, but not least - and to me this is somewhat important. Others may find it trivial. Instead of a sudden burp, bleep, stop, change, etc., virtually all video editors have some form of transition. If you have any experience with the GoPro cameras - they have a marvelous little editing package (free!) that works with a lot of other stuff - it works fine with the Phantom 3 Pro output. To transition from one "clip" to the next is as simple as clicking on a small icon. One scene just sort of morphs into the next and you don't get that sudden jarring disturbance - it becomes much smoother.

I also steal/copy just about every video/photo tidbit I see here on the forum - there's already been a lot of knowledge passed around. I'll never be a professional. I'm already too old and probably don't want to spend that much time honing my skills. But my "home drone movies" are getting better!
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules