Osmo Pocket Battery charging issues
19551 34 2019-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL
lvl.1
United States

I am having a problem charging the Osmo Pocket battery. The battery will not completely charge in the recommended time of 73 min in which DJI specified. I have used the correct 5V 2A charger but it took 9 hours to get the battery to 75% which is ridiculous. Also during the charging process, the Osmo Pocket felt like it was on fire in the first 10 mins. Does any have the same issue with charging their Osmo Pocket.
2019-2-3
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Either your charger is defective or it's not outputting 2A to the OP for some reason. I use this setup and I can charge  the OP to full in under 1 1/2 hour from either the Power bank or the Wall charger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UF5Z9K6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019-2-3
Use props
djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL
lvl.1
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 2-3 21:34
Either your charger is defective or it's not outputting 2A to the OP for some reason. I use this setup and I can charge  the OP to full in under 1 1/2 hour from either the Power bank or the Wall charger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UF5Z9K6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the information. I will gives this a try. However do you experience the OP getting very hot during 10-20 min of it being on the charger. Is that normal for the device to be outputting that much heat.
2019-2-3
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL Posted at 2-3 21:40
Thanks for the information. I will gives this a try. However do you experience the OP getting very hot during 10-20 min of it being on the charger. Is that normal for the device to be outputting that much heat.

It can get warm to about the same temp as recording in 4K@60 for long period If it gets much hotter than that, then there might be a problem with the charger (it might be putting out more than 2A) and  the battery is over heating which create resistance and will not fully charge. Have you try charging just through a laptop USB port. Even a .5A USB 2.0 port on a laptop should fully charge the OP in less than 8 hours. If it does not get as hot and will charge in under 8 hours from a laptop or .5A/1A wall charger. I would say your 2A wall charger may be putting out too much amperage.
2019-2-3
Use props
fans20a9052c
New
United Arab Emirates

I have same problem, even i try to charge it with different charger, it only charge up to 75%  and heating up my OP. any ideas to solve this ?
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry to hear about the trouble. About your concern, you may give a try to use a different wall charger that may cause, and also try to use a different USB Cable just to isolate the issue. If ever the issue still persist we would recommend sending it in to the facility for further checking of the issue you can go to this link https://www.dji.com/support in order for you to have the guide on what you'll need to do. Please keep us posted. Best regards
2019-2-5
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans20a9052c Posted at 2-4 10:00
I have same problem, even i try to charge it with different charger, it only charge up to 75%  and heating up my OP. any ideas to solve this ?

Use a laptop or PC USB ports and see if it charge with less heat and to 100%. If so, then the wall plug charger you're using may be supplying too much amperage,
2019-2-5
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

Did you guys solve this? I think I have the same problem. It charges to just 76% with a 5v 1a. It gets hot, especially at the top where the gimbal meets the body. If I let it cool and charge it through the laptop it gets to 100%. I will try to charge it fully from a laptop but I am worried it has a defect.
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL
lvl.1
United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-6 21:56
Did you guys solve this? I think I have the same problem. It charges to just 76% with a 5v 1a. It gets hot, especially at the top where the gimbal meets the body. If I let it cool and charge it through the laptop it gets to 100%. I will try to charge it fully from a laptop but I am worried it has a defect.

Hello, I was having the same issue with the pocket. It will charge to 100% perfectly fine with my laptop, however it will only charge up to 75% with a wall charger and become extremely hot. I solve the issue by using several different wall chargers and cables until I found a combination that works. I believe it is a wire and charger compatibility issue.  I suggest just try rotating between cables and wall charger until you find a match.
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL
lvl.1
United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-6 21:56

Hello, I was having the same issue with the pocket. It will charge to 100% perfectly fine with my laptop, however it will only charge up to 75% with a wall charger and become extremely hot. I solve the issue by using several different wall chargers and cables until I found a combination that works. I believe it is a wire and charger compatibility issue.  I suggest just try rotating between cables and wall charger until you find a match.
2019-3-6
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL Posted at 3-6 22:41

So you used a different cable than the one provided? Or did you find a charger that works with the cable provided? And also, did it ever get hot once you found the combination?
2019-3-6
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

andrei193 Posted at 3-6 23:00
So you used a different cable than the one provided? Or did you find a charger that works with the cable provided? And also, did it ever get hot once you found the combination?

Unfortunately, charging directly from the laptop displays the same behaviour (charging to only 76%). I made a request to send it back.
2019-3-7
Use props
djiuser_fuhv4zQ1NNDL
lvl.1
United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-7 05:40
Unfortunately, charging directly from the laptop displays the same behaviour (charging to only 76%). I made a request to send it back.

I used different chargers until I found one that works.
2019-3-7
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-7 05:40

Not all laptops provide enough current and/or only provide enough current to fully charge an OP if no other device is plugged into any of the computers USB ports.

Most phone chargers do not provide enough current to fully charge the OP.

DJI recommends that the charging port is capable of providing at least 2 amps.
2019-3-7
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

So before I send it back, I said to make one last test. I used a combination of an original apple charger (5v 1A) and a usb c cable from the LG fast charger. Guess what, it didn't get hot and reached 100% in an hour and 45 minutes. So confusing. It's either the cable is defective or is incompatible with chargers of less than 2A. I have ordered a samsung fast charger wit a 5V 2A. I will test this again and see what decision I make. The osmo pocket seem to perform as expected, I evan tested the battery life and it reaches 140 minutes in 1080p 30fps with no gimbal movement. Can a DJI representative say if there is a posibility that the cable could simply not be compatible with certain chargers or is a case of defective cable?
2019-3-8
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

andrei193 Posted at 3-8 02:21
So before I send it back, I said to make one last test. I used a combination of an original apple charger (5v 1A) and a usb c cable from the LG fast charger. Guess what, it didn't get hot and reached 100% in an hour and 45 minutes. So confusing. It's either the cable is defective or is incompatible with chargers of less than 2A. I have ordered a samsung fast charger wit a 5V 2A. I will test this again and see what decision I make. The osmo pocket seem to perform as expected, I evan tested the battery life and it reaches 140 minutes in 1080p 30fps with no gimbal movement. Can a DJI representative say if there is a posibility that the cable could simply not be compatible with certain chargers or is a case of defective cable?

From the beginning I did not get the idea to load the Pocket with a 1 A charger.

As with other devices, Actioncam, iPad, iPhone, etc.,
I also charge the Pocket with a 2A charger.

Anker 24W 2 Port USB Charger

It is also available as a car charger

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My powerbank also has two USB ports
-1A
-2 A  (I take only this for the Pocket, and s.o., it is faster)
2019-3-8
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Guys, so I think I discovered something. I bought a 5v 2A samsung original charger and no problems with the cable when charging ... but ... I think it was not the cable or the charger in the first place. I charged it again last night with the original cable and the 5v 2A charger (wich worked previously) and it overheated again but there is one common thing that I did when my osmo pocket overheated in the past, with all those cable and chargers combinations, and it didn't want to charge past 76%: I left the iphone adaptor in storage position on the Osmo Pocket. When I removed the adaptor and charged it again with the same cable and charger it didn't overheat. Are we suppose to not charge it with the adaptor connected to the Osmo Pocket? I haven't read in the manual anything about this. Is this a bug? I recently became aware that the battery case for the Osmo Pocket charges it with that port so I guess it creates some sort of incompatibility or something. Don't know if you let the connector in the normal position (port facing the phone) overheats it also and don't want to try. Can someone from DJI chime in on this?
2019-3-14
Use props
Steebmaz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1175 ft
United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-14 01:22
Guys, so I think I discovered something. I bought a 5v 2A samsung original charger and no problems with the cable when charging ... but ... I think it was not the cable or the charger in the first place. I charged it again last night with the original cable and the 5v 2A charger (wich worked previously) and it overheated again but there is one common thing that I did when my osmo pocket overheated in the past, with all those cable and chargers combinations, and it didn't want to charge past 75%: I left the iphone adaptor in storage position on the Osmo Pocket. When I removed the adaptor and charged it again with the same cable and charger it didn't overheat. Are we suppose to not charge it with the adaptor connected to the Osmo Pocket? I haven't read in the manual anything about this. Is this a bug? I recently became aware that the battery case for the Osmo Pocket charges it with that port so I guess it creates some sort of incompatibility or something. Don't know if you let the connector in the normal position (port facing the phone) overheats it also and don't want to try. Can someone from DJI chime in on this?

Thanks for posting this! I was having the exact same issue. My Osmo would refuse to charge beyond 76% and heat up. I tried removing the iPhone adapter and it’s working now!
This definitely warrants a response from DJI.
2019-3-14
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Steebmaz Posted at 3-14 18:20
Thanks for posting this! I was having the exact same issue. My Osmo would refuse to charge beyond 76% and heat up. I tried removing the iPhone adapter and it’s working now!
This definitely warrants a response from DJI.

Glad to help! I will try and make a separate post about this, maybe they will respond there.
2019-3-14
Use props
fans0027086e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2130853 ft
  • >>>
United States

Similar charging issue, However when I am plugged it into a church, take Mile comes on, yet disappears after about five minutes. I have been unable to put more than 9% into the Oz.  Something is amiss.   One would think with the established history in their industry, there would be rigorous testing people are released to the shelves for retail. And where are the DJI representatives, chiming in with either a recall notice or a solution? And when will the Osmo pro ever receive auto continuous focus ?   That’s a real gear grinder,
EEF3DFD7-E3D5-4588-A45C-E84AB06D7C55.jpeg
2019-4-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

andrei193 Posted at 3-14 01:22
Guys, so I think I discovered something. I bought a 5v 2A samsung original charger and no problems with the cable when charging ... but ... I think it was not the cable or the charger in the first place. I charged it again last night with the original cable and the 5v 2A charger (wich worked previously) and it overheated again but there is one common thing that I did when my osmo pocket overheated in the past, with all those cable and chargers combinations, and it didn't want to charge past 76%: I left the iphone adaptor in storage position on the Osmo Pocket. When I removed the adaptor and charged it again with the same cable and charger it didn't overheat. Are we suppose to not charge it with the adaptor connected to the Osmo Pocket? I haven't read in the manual anything about this. Is this a bug? I recently became aware that the battery case for the Osmo Pocket charges it with that port so I guess it creates some sort of incompatibility or something. Don't know if you let the connector in the normal position (port facing the phone) overheats it also and don't want to try. Can someone from DJI chime in on this?

I can't say I can confirm your findings but I use the Android adaptor in the storage position with no overheating problems.
2019-4-16
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-16 00:23
I can't say I can confirm your findings but I use the Android adaptor in the storage position with no overheating problems.

Don't know about the android adaptor but with the iphone one I can reproduce the problem. For me the only worry is when I would have to film with the osmo connected to the phone and charging at the same time and I am happy to report that it doesn't display this problem in this particular situation. To me this seems like a software bug with the new hardware revision (I suspect that there was one when the box changed) because the charging case is using the connector port to charge so surely there is a misscomunication with the iphone adaptor in the stored position. I also display another software bug like many others with the audio adaptor as the microphone icon and the adaptor icon change intermitently with the new firmware.
2019-4-16
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

andrei193 Posted at 4-16 09:28
Don't know about the android adaptor but with the iphone one I can reproduce the problem. For me the only worry is when I would have to film with the osmo connected to the phone and charging at the same time and I am happy to report that it doesn't display this problem in this particular situation. To me this seems like a software bug with the new hardware revision (I suspect that there was one when the box changed) because the charging case is using the connector port to charge so surely there is a misscomunication with the iphone adaptor in the stored position. I also display another software bug like many others with the audio adaptor as the microphone icon and the adaptor icon change intermitently with the new firmware.

The microphone adaptor display icon changing only happens using mics that don't have a strong enough output level. I would imagine you need a mic capable of a better than 64dbm dynamic range. I can get the same result if I lower the output level on some of my microphones.
2019-4-16
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-16 16:23
The microphone adaptor display icon changing only happens using mics that don't have a strong enough output level. I would imagine you need a mic capable of a better than 64dbm dynamic range. I can get the same result if I lower the output level on some of my microphones.

The thing is that I use a Rode VideoMicro, wich they recomend. I think this is something they can fix via firmware cause the audio recording sounds fine.
2019-4-17
Use props
Steven Y.
New
United States

andrei193 Posted at 4-16 09:28
Don't know about the android adaptor but with the iphone one I can reproduce the problem. For me the only worry is when I would have to film with the osmo connected to the phone and charging at the same time and I am happy to report that it doesn't display this problem in this particular situation. To me this seems like a software bug with the new hardware revision (I suspect that there was one when the box changed) because the charging case is using the connector port to charge so surely there is a misscomunication with the iphone adaptor in the stored position. I also display another software bug like many others with the audio adaptor as the microphone icon and the adaptor icon change intermitently with the new firmware.

Hi DJI Osmo pocket CSC team,
FYA

Hi Andrei193,
I have the same issue. i can confirm connecting the lighting smartphone adapter to the universal port, charging capacity on the OSMO pocket will only display max 75%. Removing this adapter before charging it will behave as expected up to 100%.

DJI CSC team, somehow rather i suppose the FW charging algorithm behaves differently w/ & w/o lighting adapter (w/o a phone connected to it). It looks to me the resistance differences between these 2 conditions (w/ & w/o lightning adapter) is sending incorrect reading to the FW thinking it is about to reach 100% charging capacity (observe 4 blinking green light) but actual is 75% only. As a result the FW terminates the charging at 75%.
2019-4-18
Use props
Amminger
New

Germany

I have similar behavior with charging OsmoPocket.
It is charing when OsmoPocket is switched on. If OsmoPocked swichted off the green LED is blinking 4 times  in  intervals for 5 - 10 min and than charging stopped working. When I press the right button, LED is blinking and charging goes ahaed for a view minutes before it stops again. I repeat this step until Osmo battery is up to 100%.
2019-4-18
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never used my computer to charge the OsmoPocket - I use the charger for either my Samsung Tablet, or Moto G6  - No issues.
2019-4-18
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Although debugging this shouldn't be necessary, could I suggest one of these may help narrow down exactly what's happening :

It will allow you to check the actual charge rate in mA, and also when it looks like the osmo is not charging - it can tell you if any current is being drawn at this point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075 ... 9-bc2a-af7dc3ab4573
ie this would go between the charger / powerbank and the USB C cable to the OP
2019-4-18
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Steven Y. Posted at 4-18 00:11
Hi DJI Osmo pocket CSC team,
FYA

Let's just hope DJI notices this thread and addresses it in the next firmware update.
2019-4-18
Use props
Danger76
New
Australia

I'm having the exact issue... thou not too sure about the overheating problem as I just plug in the OP and walk away. I come back in an hour or so and still sitting at about 86%. Another time, like today for instance, I brought a new tripod mount charging base, I plugged it in (into the new charging base tripod mount) and came back a short time later and it was saying 98% charged... still can't reach 100%.. so I continued charging it and went back and turned it on again an hour later and then it was saying 76% and I hadn't even used it, I was Just charging it. This has been happening now for over a month. So frustrating. I don't think I registered with that Warranty thing when it first appeared (I could be wrong, just can't remember, but I don't think I did), so would I be able to send it back??? For refund or replacement???
Note: I'm using 2 or 3 different chargers... Apple IPhone chargers, and different USB cords and still doesn't solve the problem.
2019-4-24
Use props
djiuser_jVCbfbWhkLG4
New

United Kingdom

SAME PROBLEM- osmo pocket not charging beyond 75%. Please can someone from DJI support either comment or advise what best steps to take to fix this issue. Or can one of you guys/gals suggest a usb c / charger combo to purchase so i can try and fix this issue asap.
Either way a comment from support would be great to get a solution in place.
2019-10-19
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

I just noticed I have the same issue. The battery Icon looks full but upon powering on or in setting mode I only get about 86% charged. Never higher. I will have to try different USB cable/Charger combinations now, although, I don't think anyone should have to.

2019-10-28
Use props
Knewt
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Me too.  Quite annoying that DJI don’t post on here. Doesn’t exactly make you feel like a valued customer!
2019-11-2
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I have the same problem with a capacity of 68%.
Everything i tryed out are not helping. I contacted DJI Germany and they told me they have never heard about that. :-(((
The guy means i can test a complete reset, but thats not working and so a decided to buy a new Battery.

Today i got the battery and changed it properly and everything went fine as i first thought, but in the end the max power was 60%.
In the end i tryed 6 cables, 4 Powerbanks and 4 Charger and nothing helped.

It is soooo frustrading tha DJI is looking for one time in these threads and then never again.
I have so many DJI products fo so much money and evertime i ask something here, the only answer i get is contact the support.
Super DJI, the next time i did not contact the support, i contact an other brand!! :-(((
2022-1-21
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Did anyone find out whats going on?
I called DJI and they said that they never heared of such problems (so funy)!! :-))

I have done everything and it is so frustrating that DJI didn´t come back and gave us a hint.
2023-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules