Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A Trick for loading 4K60 footage onto iOS
6350 16 2019-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

TL;DR: You can load 4K60 footage onto your iOS device using Google Photos, but playback will be bad until you transcode the file with another app.

So I have seen a couple people mentioning dissapointment that 4K60 footage does not load onto their iPhones and iPads despite the fact that high bitrate 4K60 footage from cameras like GH5 work just fine. This footage obviously doesn’t load through the mimo app, and iOS will also give you a red exclamation mark if you try to load it via and SD card reader. However I have discovered a way to load clips onto these devices.
If you upload 4K60 clips onto Google Photos via PC first you can then download them to the camera roll via the Google Photos app. The video is not transcoded, it is the original video from the Osmo Pocket BUT it will playback with a smudging and smearing effect, the likes of which you see when a keyframe has been cut off. There is an easy way to fix this. Simply load the clip into an editor like iMovie, Lumafusion and export the clip (requires processing time). Or easiest of all click “edit” from within camera roll and use the app Video Grade to do a simple color correction then save the file in place. This will result in a video that plays back without any issues in iOS.

I think that this proves that DJI at the very least could add a step within the Mimo app that transcodes the file on import in order for it to download onto these devices without issue. But even better would obviously be to do whatever is needed to tweak the files and have them run natively on iOS without issue like so many other high end camera’s video do.
2019-2-3
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

The same can be done using Dropbox.

I really wish we can eliminate using a desktop though. I was hoping to be able to just edit vacation videos and photos just with an iPad. I guess I’m gonna be shooting 1080 while on vacation.
2019-2-3
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

AmaDee Posted at 2-3 20:41
The same can be done using Dropbox.

I really wish we can eliminate using a desktop though. I was hoping to be able to just edit vacation videos and photos just with an iPad. I guess I’m gonna be shooting 1080 while on vacation.

I use a WD My Passport wireless.  OP SD card transfers video to WD then use the WD's WIFI to transfer into/out of LumaFusion as needed.
2019-2-3
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3

BobWinNV Posted at 2-3 20:49
I use a WD My Passport wireless.  OP SD card transfers video to WD then use the WD's WIFI to transfer into/out of LumaFusion as needed.

Yeah that's my next step, to get a WD wireless.
2019-2-4
Use props
gram
New
Germany

BobWinNV Posted at 2-3 20:49

How are the WiFi-transfer-rates from the WD My Passport to Lumafusion? Does it take long time to transfer 4K60 footage over WiFi?
2019-2-5
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

gram Posted at 2-5 05:18
How are the WiFi-transfer-rates from the WD My Passport to Lumafusion? Does it take long time to transfer 4K60 footage over WiFi?

I just timed 1GB file at 8 minutes 15 seconds using the Original WD My Passport Wireless.  So that should be worst case.
2019-2-5
Use props
gram
New
Germany

BobWinNV Posted at 2-5 16:15
I just timed 1GB file at 8 minutes 15 seconds using the Original WD My Passport Wireless.  So that should be worst case.

Great, thank you!
2019-2-6
Use props
fans9819e253
lvl.2
Qatar

Has anyone tried the Wireless Module and connect it to ipad/iphone via wi-fi and tried to import the files on Lumafusion?  Maybe this way the ipad/iphone sees the Osmo Pocket as as a wireless/network drive? I do not have the Wireless Module to test this out; but will order one to see if this is a work-around.
2019-2-6
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

Try the Adam SD Card adapter DJI sells. I use it with my iPhone SE to get 4k footage onto the phone. It does detect, and changes the format to something more compatible, but does seems to maintain 4K, without any PC/Mac or cloud. See if it works for you.
2019-2-6
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
  • >>>
Japan

Onsomehill Posted at 2-6 05:59
Try the Adam SD Card adapter DJI sells. I use it with my iPhone SE to get 4k footage onto the phone. It does detect, and changes the format to something more compatible, but does seems to maintain 4K, without any PC/Mac or cloud. See if it works for you.

I didn’t even l know this was a product. You are saying it converts the 4k files on import to a compatible format when importing to the camera roll? Something that the official Apple dongles don’t do?
2019-2-6
Use props
Onsomehill
lvl.2
United States

FFS Posted at 2-6 06:27
I didn’t even l know this was a product. You are saying it converts the 4k files on import to a compatible format when importing to the camera roll? Something that the official Apple dongles don’t do?

yep!!! Thats what it appears to do.

I've seen a lot of posts about importing here. I've been using a iPhone SE and thought I was stuck in 1080 mode. I decided to buy that little SD reader, and I was quite surprised. Their app, iKlips, does some kind of conversion that is compatible. I just bought an iPhone X, so I'm interested if it will let me import anything at this point.
2019-2-6
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
  • >>>
Japan

Onsomehill Posted at 2-6 15:07

I've seen a lot of posts about importing here. I've been using a iPhone SE and thought I was stuck in 1080 mode. I decided to buy that little SD reader, and I was quite surprised. Their app, iKlips, does some kind of conversion that is compatible. I just bought an iPhone X, so I'm interested if it will let me import anything at this point.

That is really interesting. Would love to hear how it interacts with your iPhone X. Especially what kind of bitrate it uses on Osmo 4K footage.
2019-2-6
Use props
fans9819e253
lvl.2
Qatar

Thank you.
2019-2-6
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

$80 for a card reader though? This pocket is starting to cost a lot lol.

No news from DJI either.
2019-3-13
Use props
DroneyMcDroneface
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11283 ft
United States

AmaDee Posted at 3-13 14:42
$80 for a card reader though? This pocket is starting to cost a lot lol.

No news from DJI either.

There is a 60% off coupon available now on Amazon....drops it to $31 USD  (5 remaining when I just ordered mine now).
2019-3-14
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

Just got the email from DJI that iklip is available again, was about to purchase but realized that it’s not compatible with iPad’s usb c.

Can’t please everyone
2019-3-14
Use props
DavidDesu
New

United Kingdom

I’ve just bought an iPad Pro (refurbed 10.5) mainly because I intend on getting the Osmo Pocket for documenting a trip to Japan soon, and generally just to have a really versatile quality camera on me. I want to film everything in 4k60 because it looks sooo good and I feel like it future proofs any footage for quite some time. So it’s worrying that there is still an issue here, and the issue seems to be due to DJI more than iOS. 4K 60 is the main selling point of this tiny timbale based camera, its the ultimate pocket studio device, and it just SHOULD work with the powerhouse of the iPad Pro and LumaFusion, out of the box. Is there any chance the camera firmware will be updated before June so I can actually go ahead and purchase the camera? I cannot afford additional expensive hardware like wireless HDDs just to import footage.

I think I might be able to do it all without a computer because I have an android phone and Google Drive storage, so it seems like I can import on my phone, export to the cloud and get it into my iPad that way, then optimise the footage in LumaFusion before editing, but that is a whole lot of hassle when we know other high quality cameras and even the Go Pro H7 Black can import 4K60 straight into an iPad ready for editing. Come on, sort it out!
2019-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules