Skyreat Filters - CAUTION!
1238 13 2019-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Hello everyone, just one quick tip: DO NOT CLEAN THE INSIDE OF SKYREAT FILTERS!

Please allow me to elaborate on the headline. I've been a professional photographer for +20 Years so I proceeded to handle my new filters like I always do: Cleaning them before usage. The problem with Skyreat is that it seems that although they are Multicoated, the inside is single or non coated. This means that I spent a good 30mn trying to remove any residue from my Zeiss cleaning spray. I had to use pointy ear buds as nothing would fit to clear the corners... a pain in the @ss!

If any of you ever tried to clean a B+W non MRC filter you will understand... resude streaks all over...

Capture.JPG
2019-2-4
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the tip! I think I will be buying the PolarPro filters
2019-2-4
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

forbsie Posted at 2-4 04:55
Thanks for the tip! I think I will be buying the PolarPro filters

You are welcome.

I don't know what's going on with the PolarPro... someone could perhaps try this. Normally a filter shouldn't get dirty on the inside anyway, I just wanted to ensure that there were no fingerprints or any other residue that could influence image quality. The price is still great and so far the glass is performing very good (no color cast).
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day El Diabolico. Thank you for sharing this information and your experience with us today and thank you for your support.
2019-2-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing!
2019-2-4
Use props
dewarner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87536 ft
United States

Thanks for this information.  I know exactly what you mean, and could not understand exactly what had happened when this first happened to me using a non B+W MRC filter.  What is the recommenced way to clean these filters?
2019-2-4
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Interesting, my guess it was a pain getting into a tiny little filter to clean it. Wouldn't have been a good day for an impatient person like me, the air would have turned blue with cursing.
2019-2-4
Use props
Ray Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2647756 ft
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 2-4 06:05
You are welcome.

I don't know what's going on with the PolarPro... someone could perhaps try this. Normally a filter shouldn't get dirty on the inside anyway, I just wanted to ensure that there were no fingerprints or any other residue that could influence image quality. The price is still great and so far the glass is performing very good (no color cast).

Thanks for the warning.  I have Skyreat ND and polarized filters for my MP2 and OSMO Pocket and  never found the need  to clean the inside of the filter - only the outside.  (But if I did, I’d simply buy another set and still save money over other popular filters.)  

Ray Jay
2019-2-4
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

dewarner Posted at 2-4 08:50
Thanks for this information.  I know exactly what you mean, and could not understand exactly what had happened when this first happened to me using a non B+W MRC filter.  What is the recommenced way to clean these filters?

Ha ha ha  then you feel me bud... I would just use a blow and leave it unless dirt is clearly visible. The issue is that with so much rubbing we could end up removing the (single) coating instead...
2019-2-5
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Ray Jay Posted at 2-4 16:09
Thanks for the warning.  I have Skyreat ND and polarized filters for my MP2 and OSMO Pocket and  never found the need  to clean the inside of the filter - only the outside.  (But if I did, I’d simply buy another set and still save money over other popular filters.)  

Ray Jay

Hi Ray, the truth is there was absolutely no need to clean them. It is just a 'ritual' I follow before installing any new filters. Chinese filter manufacturers have improved substantially over the years but if you can still find specs of dust in a brand new Zeiss, it is very possible that 'cheaper' filters could have residues of some kind (fingerprints, wax, fibers or lint, specs of protective foam, etc).

In any case, I only suffered trying to clean the ND8, haven't touched the other 6
2019-2-5
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I received the skyreat ND filters on Friday. I still don't have to clean them. But now I am curious about your issue. Do you mean we can clean them on the outside, but not the inside part (the one that would be in contact with the OP)? Can you explain a bit more about  residue streaks all over?

I didn't receive any cleaning cloth in the filters case. I didn't think how difficult can it be to clean them.

First day I am using the filters and I already have lost the ND16 in the forest :_( I feel so bad, the poor new filter is there somewhere in the forest alone. Be careful with them. Maybe the magnet is not strong enough for some situations. But if it would be stronger it would be difficult to remove.  
2019-2-5
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

hedac Posted at 2-5 07:39
I received the skyreat ND filters on Friday. I still don't have to clean them. But now I am curious about your issue. Do you mean we can clean them on the outside, but not the inside part (the one that would be in contact with the OP)? Can you explain a bit more about  residue streaks all over?

I didn't receive any cleaning cloth in the filters case. I didn't think how difficult can it be to clean them.

1st of all, sorry for your loss...

I use the Zeiss cleaning kit with all my lens filters (image below). The outside of the Skyreat filters is indeed multicoated and they clean relatively easy. The inside on the other hand has (IMO) a single coat that doesn't react very well to cleaning fluids, therefore it leaves streaks when it dries that probably won't affect the image quality but can potentially create unwanted flares or gjosting.

Bottom line, air blower and dry cleaning for the inside part

2019-2-6
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

Thank you for the information. I will only do dry cleaning then
I lost the ND16 which is the one that I think I needed more. I still have the ND4 and ND8 but now that I could test them I think I needed ND16 or ND32. I'll ask skyreat if they could sell individual filters.
2019-2-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

hedac Posted at 2-6 06:33
Thank you for the information. I will only do dry cleaning then  
I lost the ND16 which is the one that I think I needed more. I still have the ND4 and ND8 but now that I could test them I think I needed ND16 or ND32. I'll ask skyreat if they could sell individual filters.

Si mejora el tiempo ND32 y ND64 seguro... diviertete ;)
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules