4029 18 2019-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dldp-sp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed a lot of red noise in the shadows on the left and right edges of the video when using D-Cinelike mode. It is worse when shooting at 60 FPS. Are others seeing this issue?

Regards,
Tom
2019-2-4
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Japan

I have noticed more noise when shooting in low light with Dcinlike mode, it seems when using normal mode the noise is well controlled however the noise is not reduced by software with Dcinlike mode, it shows exact how noisy it actually is and you know now how good the noise reduction systerm the pocket has with its normal mode.
2019-2-4
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I'm not expert on Cinelike D, but usually people that use a flat picture profile for their dsrl or mirrorless cameras don't recommend using these profiles in low light situations because it brings out the noise in the shadows.  Maybe someone else can confirm this.  Again, I'm not an expert on flat picture profiles but on YouTube you can find videos that say the same thing.  However, I wonder if Cinelike D behaves the same way as those log profiles at night.  But yes, I have also noticed noise in the shadows but usually in low light.
2019-2-4
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 2-4 09:45
I'm not expert on Cinelike D, but usually people that use a flat picture profile for their dsrl or mirrorless cameras don't recommend using these profiles in low light situations because it brings out the noise in the shadows.  Maybe someone else can confirm this.  Again, I'm not an expert on flat picture profiles but on YouTube you can find videos that say the same thing.  However, I wonder if Cinelike D behaves the same way as those log profiles at night.  But yes, I have also noticed noise in the shadows but usually in low light.

That is correct, to an extent. Many flat and "cine" picture styles for DSLR/mirrorless cameras introduce noise in the shadows. As you seem to suggest, users should not expect the Osmo to perform better than much larger sensors/cameras in similar scenarios.
2019-2-4
Use props
dldp-sp
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm not expert on Cinelike D, but usually people that use a flat picture profile for their dsrl or mirrorless cameras don't recommend using these profiles in low light situations because it brings out the noise in the shadows.  Maybe someone else can confirm this.  Again, I'm not an expert on flat picture profiles but on YouTube you can find videos that say the same thing.  However, I wonder if Cinelike D behaves the same way as those log profiles at night.  But yes, I have also noticed noise in the shadows but usually in low light.

It is my understanding that D-Cinelike is not true D-Log footage but more like something in between "Normal" mode and D-Log. That being said, I guess it may have its uses in well-lit areas but will really struggle in low light.

Regards,
Tom  
2019-2-5
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Flat picture profiles meant to be edited in post. This generally means that the image will lack color, contrast, sharpness and noise reduction. it is up to the user to add or remove those according to their preferences. The OP still has a very tiny 1/2.3" sensor, we cannot expect it to perform like a FF camera BUT it does produce outstanding video quality for its size
2019-2-5
Use props
philisme
New
Luxembourg

Is there something I can do to reduce noise while filming in 4K (inside with neon lights) ?
2019-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 2-5 00:58
Flat picture profiles meant to be edited in post. This generally means that the image will lack color, contrast, sharpness and noise reduction. it is up to the user to add or remove those according to their preferences. The OP still has a very tiny 1/2.3" sensor, we cannot expect it to perform like a FF camera BUT it does produce outstanding video quality for its size

I don’t really have a problem dealing with the noise but my main concern is the red noise in the shadows on the left and right edges. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem with the device.

Regards,
Tom
2019-2-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

dldp-sp Posted at 2-6 03:32
I don’t really have a problem dealing with the noise but my main concern is the red noise in the shadows on the left and right edges. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem with the device.

Regards,

Hi Tom, is this noise happening while editing or straight out of the camera?
Also, is the noise appearing everytime or only after filming for quite a bit? I am saying this because perhaps, as there's no time limit for the recordings and the OP gets quite warm to the touch, the sensor hits up to a point that hot pixels start to appear... Could you post some screenshots of this?

I've experienced this phenomenon with my backup DX camera when doing long exposures and not enabling in-body noise reduction.

Obviously you should get in contact with DJI Customer Support just in case
2019-2-6
Use props
opnwong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190161 ft
France

philisme Posted at 2-5 07:05
Is there something I can do to reduce noise while filming in 4K (inside with neon lights) ?

Expose to the right; i.e over exposure by 1/2 to 1 stop.

This is a fairly standard practice for shooting log; especially with Sony's SLog.
2019-2-6
Use props
opnwong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190161 ft
France

dldp-sp Posted at 2-6 03:32
I don’t really have a problem dealing with the noise but my main concern is the red noise in the shadows on the left and right edges. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem with the device.

Regards,

post a picture?
2019-2-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

philisme Posted at 2-5 07:05

There are obvious limitations due to the sensor size but make sure you're filming at the lowest ISO possible and that you set your WB manually. The OP should be usuable until ISO400. If for your needs it is still very noisy, you will have to use a plug-in to fix it like Neat Video (I don't know if profiles for the OP are already available, this practically means that you'll have to play with the sliders a little bit).
2019-2-6
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

El Diabolico Posted at 2-6 04:15
There are obvious limitations due to the sensor size but make sure you're filming at the lowest ISO possible and that you set your WB manually. The OP should be usuable until ISO400. If for your needs it is still very noisy, you will have to use a plug-in to fix it like Neat Video (I don't know if profiles for the OP are already available, this practically means that you'll have to play with the sliders a little bit).

The latest Neat Video is amazing.  The website shows profiles for the Osmo but they are for Neat Image.  Can you use those with Neat Video?  Anyways, I have cleaned some OP files with Neat Video and its an amazing combo. I was hesitant to spend $100 bucks on that plug-in but it saves the day (night) for me.  I edit with Premiere.  
2019-2-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Joemar7 Posted at 2-6 07:33
The latest Neat Video is amazing.  The website shows profiles for the Osmo but they are for Neat Image.  Can you use those with Neat Video?  Anyways, I have cleaned some OP files with Neat Video and its an amazing combo. I was hesitant to spend $100 bucks on that plug-in but it saves the day (night) for me.  I edit with Premiere.

Great to hear that I am not the only happy guy. I don't know about any profiles yet, I also use it manually
2019-2-6
Use props
dldp-sp
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here is a short video showing the effect. This is at 60 fps which is worse case compared to 30 fps.

2019-2-7
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

dldp-sp Posted at 2-7 00:28
Here is a short video showing the effect. This is at 60 fps which is worse case compared to 30 fps.

https://youtu.be/jY4OUK6WwTg

Hi Tom, have you watched your video in any monitor in 4K? To me it looks more likes artifacts from compressiing the footage to lower res. Could be wrong.
2019-2-7
Use props
dldp-sp
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 2-7 01:31
Hi Tom, have you watched your video in any monitor in 4K? To me it looks more likes artifacts from compressiing the footage to lower res. Could be wrong.

It is hard to tell on YouTube. Here is my dropbox link to the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4of8vl ... 2060%20fps.m4v?dl=0
2019-2-7
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

dldp-sp Posted at 2-7 01:59
It is hard to tell on YouTube. Here is my dropbox link to the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4of8vl3ccawicqr/D-Cinelike%2060%20fps.m4v?dl=0

Hi Tom, "unfortunately" I am on holidays and the iPad Pro doesn't support 4K resolutions... have you checked on a 4K display yourself?
2019-2-7
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to chime in here.
D-Cinelike is not in any way a log format.
It’s a picture profile. It won’t guve you any more latitude to edit- I prefer the colour than the default profile and perhaps I might add some vibrancy / contrast but it is NOT true log profile which is for grading (as previously said).

Even if it was a true log format the colour depth of the OP isn’t robust enough to grade properly.

Exposing for the shadows is indeed a log thing, but is largely irrelevant here.

You’re best off using the histogram and zebras set at 70 to 80%

2019-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules