Cool PolarPro new accessories for Osmo Pocket!
7872 74 2019-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Hey PolarPro_Brendan

Is there a possibility of an adjustable ND filter in the future? Fixed ND filters are fine for controlled lighting, but in many ways useless in variable lighting conditions unless you use auto ISO to control the exposure, but this can lead to higher noise issues unless you constantly swap out the filter, which becomes a real hassle. I realise it's possible to adjust minor exposure issues in post, but it would be great if we could control the exposure by simply turning the filter element.

Thanks.
2019-2-12
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

theprisoner6666 Posted at 2-12 17:28
Hey PolarPro_Brendan

Is there a possibility of an adjustable ND filter in the future? Fixed ND filters are fine for controlled lighting, but in many ways useless in variable lighting conditions unless you use auto ISO to control the exposure, but this can lead to higher noise issues unless you constantly swap out the filter, which becomes a real hassle. I realise it's possible to adjust minor exposure issues in post, but it would be great if we could control the exposure by simply turning the filter element.

Obviously I am not Brendan but I guess the same principle that is applicable to drones is applicable to the OP.
A Variable ND is basically 2 Polarized filters rotating in different directions. That practically means added weight so I doubt the filter will pass the gimbal calibration test
2019-2-13
Use props
gram
New
Germany

What do you think, can you use the Tripod Mount with the DJI audio adapter when they finally release it? (Especially if you‘re using the tripod-screw right next to the adapter?)
2019-2-14
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

El Diabolico Posted at 2-13 00:14
Obviously I am not Brendan but I guess the same principle that is applicable to drones is applicable to the OP.
A Variable ND is basically 2 Polarized filters rotating in different directions. That practically means added weight so I doubt the filter will pass the gimbal calibration test

I see your point, but I doubt the tiny amount of extra glass would make much difference really when you consider the weight the gimbal is already supporting, plus it handles the existing filters with ease. I could be wrong on this though. Either way, it's maybe something filter manufacturers could look into.
2019-2-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

theprisoner6666 Posted at 2-14 15:39
I see your point, but I doubt the tiny amount of extra glass would make much difference really when you consider the weight the gimbal is already supporting, plus it handles the existing filters with ease. I could be wrong on this though. Either way, it's maybe something filter manufacturers could look into.

I still tend to disagree

From my previous experience with the Spark gimbal that looks very similar to the OP in size, I can say with certainty that many brands didn't past the initial test for a gramm or so (just check YouTube reviews). Don't forget thet a variable ND also needs 2 aluminum (or brass) rings to hold the polarized glass in place, therefore the weight increases disproportionaly. Just think that if this was possible, at least one 3d party manufacturer would have done it.

The other problem with variable NDs is their use with wide angle lenses. It is easy to get a darker X patern in the sky so perhaps not the best solution for drones or filming wide.
2019-2-15
Use props
fans471029d5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85449 ft
United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 2-4 07:35
I hope PolarPro makes a mount where you can fit and secure both the wireless module and the OP.    I wouldn't trust using the wifi mount on a selfie stick.  Once you go wireless, you don't want to go back to a cable extension or attach the op to your phone.    Please PolarPro, hear my prayers if you read this.
Im using just the wireless mount on a selfie stick ive attached a strip of velcro with double sided tape to the inside of the polarpro mount that runs up the side of the osmo for extra security. Then i have another bit of velcro on the side of the osmo. The velcro inside the mount has had the little brisstles shaved off so its nice n snugg. Works well.
2019-02-15 11.37.50.jpg
2019-02-15 11.38.59.jpg
2019-2-15
Use props
seldom_static
lvl.2
United States

Finally got around to reviewing most of the new Osmo Pocket accessories from PolarPro and my favorite, surprisingly is the gimbal lock. Didn't think I would like it/need it as much as I have but it's completely replaced my need to use the included DJI case. The rest of their lineup is really cool too but not without some quirks. Lots of options from PolarPro but really think it just depends on how you plan to use your OP or how some of these mounts fit into your other accessory systems *cough GoPro. ;)

2019-2-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2019-2-17
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-4 04:28
Nice find PP make some nice stuff.

Agree.  I have a case and phone mount from this company and works perfectly.
2019-2-19
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

I just realized that the PolarPro action mount blocks the front microphone.. Anyone can share how bad does it affect the sound recorded?
2019-2-24
Use props
hashiko
lvl.2
United States

Anyone know if the Osmo Pocket will fit in the Polar Pro case with the Polar Pro Gimbal Protector attached?
2019-2-25
Use props
seldom_static
lvl.2
United States

StardustGeass Posted at 2-24 06:33
I just realized that the PolarPro action mount blocks the front microphone.. Anyone can share how bad does it affect the sound recorded?

I haven't done any scientific tests but it doesn't seem to affect the audio quality. FWIW, it only partially covers the front facing mic and could probably be filed down a bit to unblock the mic port. Also, while PolarPro admits it does block the port, they didn't find any noticeable issues either.

https://twitter.com/_PolarPro/status/1092519443509456896
2019-2-25
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

hashiko Posted at 2-25 09:22
Anyone know if the Osmo Pocket will fit in the Polar Pro case with the Polar Pro Gimbal Protector attached?

I have both. The case is designed to fit the OP without the Gimbal Protector. The insert is laid out to place the OP in with the head turned left as it is when turned off. I tried to place mine in the case with the Protector and the case does close if there is nothing in the inner pocket, but it is tight. I would recommend if you want the case to not use the protector.
2019-2-25
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

fans471029d5 Posted at 2-15 03:37
Im using just the wireless mount on a selfie stick ive attached a strip of velcro with double sided tape to the inside of the polarpro mount that runs up the side of the osmo for extra security. Then i have another bit of velcro on the side of the osmo. The velcro inside the mount has had the little brisstles shaved off so its nice n snugg. Works well.

Thanks for sharing this.  What L-bracket are you using?  I would like to try it.  Thanks.  
2019-2-25
Use props
hashiko
lvl.2
United States

darrins Posted at 2-25 13:28
I have both. The case is designed to fit the OP without the Gimbal Protector. The insert is laid out to place the OP in with the head turned left as it is when turned off. I tried to place mine in the case with the Protector and the case does close if there is nothing in the inner pocket, but it is tight. I would recommend if you want the case to not use the protector.

Thanks for this info.. it's invaluable! Cheers!
2019-2-25
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

theprisoner6666 Posted at 2-12 17:28
Hey PolarPro_Brendan

Hi theprisoner6666, Thanks for your suggestion of a variable ND filter for the Osmo Pocket. I understand your use case and workflow that would make a variable ND filter a great option when filming. To date, we have not produced such a filter and do not yet have plans for one. However, I can and will pass your suggestion along as we always like to hear from the users what is believed to be a useful product!
2019-2-25
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

gram Posted at 2-14 15:02
What do you think, can you use the Tripod Mount with the DJI audio adapter when they finally release it? (Especially if you‘re using the tripod-screw right next to the adapter?)

That should be no problem and was part of our thought process while creating it! This will be a great benefit to the workflow and production value for many OP users!
2019-2-25
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

hashiko Posted at 2-25 13:53

Just wanted to add that I really like the case. I don’t always carry my OP in it, but when I do it’s nice. Like today I was going somewhere where I knew I would have the OP sitting on a table with the wireless base and I would control it with the Mimo app on my iPhone. The case was perfect. It’s nice and compact, quick to get out the OP and base and put everything back in. It’s very protective.
2019-2-25
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Just wanted to add that I really like the case. I don’t always carry my OP in it, but when I do it’s nice. Like today I was going somewhere where I knew I would have the OP sitting on a table with the wireless base and I would control it with the Mimo app on my iPhone. The case was perfect. It’s nice and compact, quick to get out the OP and base and put everything back in. It’s very protective.
2019-2-25
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-25
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Is there an echo in here?
2019-2-25
Use props
hashiko
lvl.2
United States

darrins Posted at 2-25 20:33
Just wanted to add that I really like the case. I don’t always carry my OP in it, but when I do it’s nice. Like today I was going somewhere where I knew I would have the OP sitting on a table with the wireless base and I would control it with the Mimo app on my iPhone. The case was perfect. It’s nice and compact, quick to get out the OP and base and put everything back in. It’s very protective.

Ordered the case. Nice to hear that it’s nice and useful. I’ll be using it mostly for transport to and from locations. When in the field the gimbal protector looks like a good solution since I use the accessory scroller quite a bit. On the gimbal protector, is it quality lined to avoid scratching? I’ve seen many reviews on cheap import protector that scratch the pocket
2019-2-26
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

hashiko Posted at 2-26 07:37
Ordered the case. Nice to hear that it’s nice and useful. I’ll be using it mostly for transport to and from locations. When in the field the gimbal protector looks like a good solution since I use the accessory scroller quite a bit. On the gimbal protector, is it quality lined to avoid scratching? I’ve seen many reviews on cheap import protector that scratch the pocket

Sorry everyone for the last multiple post. I kept getting an error when I hit reply. So I tried again, I guess 3 times.

The gimbal protector is just a soft plastic piece that holds the head of the OP in place and protects the screen. It only really touches the OP around the "neck" area of the OP. Just slides in. I don't think it can scratch the OP.
2019-2-26
Use props
hashiko
lvl.2
United States

Got my case today. I think its a little flimsy for $25USD honestly. Was a little disappointed that the interior zippered compartment isn't big enough to hold the PolarPro ND case. While it's probably one of the better cases specifically made for the Pocket, there's definitely room for improvement. Since PolarPro sells a lot of ND Filters for Pocket, I would have thought they would have included some vertical cut outs (the same way they do for the smart phone connectors, for their filters. There's certainly room for it. Need to think if this case is a keeper or not..
2019-2-28
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro_Brendan Posted at 2-11 18:03
Very excited about this one! We are working hard to make it available ASAP!

Brendan,
Any chance Polar Pro is working on a waterproof case since DJI's might take years to hit the market? I really need one by June 17th and hope there is at least 1 option by then.
2019-3-3
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

Bing Err Posted at 3-3 02:10
Brendan,
Any chance Polar Pro is working on a waterproof case since DJI's might take years to hit the market? I really need one by June 17th and hope there is at least 1 option by then.

Hi Bing Err,

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans for a waterproof case for the OP at this time. Therefore, nothing would be available for the June deadline as there would be a lot of designing, prototyping, testing, etc. going into this project to ensure function underwater and clarity of footage captured.

I spoke to the Lead Engineer this morning and mentioned your request, so your suggestion is noted and being considered. Thanks!
2019-3-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

Hey Polarpro, I saw some photos of the grip system on bestbuy and it doesn’t seem to have a cold shoe and a screw mount on the phone holder. Can you confirm this? I know it’s late in the design process but that would really be a bummer cause the idea is not bad.
2019-3-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro_Brendan Posted at 3-4 10:44
Hi Bing Err,

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans for a waterproof case for the OP at this time. Therefore, nothing would be available for the June deadline as there would be a lot of designing, prototyping, testing, etc. going into this project to ensure function underwater and clarity of footage captured.

Thanks. Better than nothing. Looks like it will be filmed on GoPro.
2019-3-4
Use props
LionelB
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Looks great..See they are based in the USA anyone know if they ship to the UK ?
2019-3-5
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro_Brendan Posted at 2-11 18:03
Very excited about this one! We are working hard to make it available ASAP!

@polar prop, any update on the Best Buy hand grip kit you quoted  here?
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_G41hGwqLaZb4
New
United States

Has anyone tried using PolarPro tripod mount with a shotgun mic mounted using the side mount? I use a small shotgun mic (Rode Video Micro) and am wondering if it will be out of the field of view if mounted using the tripod mount. Thanks!
2019-3-6
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

andrei193 Posted at 3-4 12:37
Hey Polarpro, I saw some photos of the grip system on bestbuy and it doesn’t seem to have a cold shoe and a screw mount on the phone holder. Can you confirm this? I know it’s late in the design process but that would really be a bummer cause the idea is not bad.

Thanks for the question! The grip will come with three, 1/4"-20 mounts for you to attach accessories or mount to a tripod system.  
2019-3-6
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

marctronixx Posted at 3-5 12:50
@polar prop, any update on the Best Buy hand grip kit you quoted  here?

We are working diligently to have it available in the not so distant future! Stay tuned!
2019-3-6
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

LionelB Posted at 3-5 12:16
Looks great..See they are based in the USA anyone know if they ship to the UK ?

Hi LionelB, We can ship directly from the USA via the PolarPro website or from Amazon UK!
2019-3-6
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.2

United States

Bing Err Posted at 3-4 17:07
Thanks. Better than nothing. Looks like it will be filmed on GoPro.

Always good to have a backup plan!
2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules