Very Poor Video Quality
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156276 ft
Ireland

I took my P4A up for a flight today, and took some video for the first  time in about a year. I'm usually only taking photos with it. I set the  camera to Raw + JPG (usually just Raw) but didn't adjust the movie  settings. The photos are fine, but the video quality is extremely poor  (it's usually goo).

I would be grateful if anyone would like to have a look at the footage  (less than 1 minute) and offer thoughts on what may be causing it, and  if it can be fixed.

THIS IS THE LINK

Thanks for any help.
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry about that. May I know if this video is from the SD card directly? Also, could you please try to reset your camera settings on DJI Go 4 App? Let see if this will work. Thanks.
2019-2-4
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-4 11:40
Hi, we're sorry about that. May I know if this video is from the SD card directly? Also, could you please try to reset your camera settings? Let see if this will work. Thanks.

Hi Natalia

I'm not sure what you mean by "from the SD card directly"? It was downloaded from the SD card, into Lightroom and then saved for export. It has not been edited and looked like this when in Lightroom.

Also, how would you suggest I reset the camera settings?

Thank you,

Stephen
2019-2-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 11:45
Hi Natalia

I'm not sure what you mean by "from the SD card directly"? It was downloaded from the SD card, into Lightroom and then saved for export. It has not been edited and looked like this when in Lightroom.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. You can reset the camera settings on DJI Go 4 app. For reference, please see the attached image below. Also, would it be possible if you could show us the SD card you are using to your drone? Thanks.

2019-2-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 11:45
Hi Natalia

The movie is in 720p resolution, and this is why people will ask whether it came from your phone or the SD card in the camera. It is poor quality because the overall bitrate is around 0.8 Megabits per second, whereas the camera shoots at 100 Megabits per second. You say it is not edited, but if you saved it in Lightroom, then the file has been modified by the save function. The only way to tell if you have a problem is to copy the file off the SD card in the aircraft, then post it to Dropbox without passing it through Lightroom.
2019-2-4
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2-4 13:26
The movie is in 720p resolution, and this is why people will ask whether it came from your phone or the SD card in the camera. It is poor quality because the overall bitrate is around 0.8 Megabits per second, whereas the camera shoots at 100 Megabits per second. You say it is not edited, but if you saved it in Lightroom, then the file has been modified by the save function. The only way to tell if you have a problem is to copy the file off the SD card in the aircraft, then post it to Dropbox without passing it through Lightroom.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to share a dropbox file, but it's still uploading. However, the .MOV file is playing much better than the .mp4 that came out of Lightroom. Perhaps that was the issue? It also looks over-sharpened. I'm much more familiar with stills than video, to be honest.
2019-2-4
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Ireland

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 14:22
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to share a dropbox file, but it's still uploading. However, the .MOV file is playing much better than the .mp4 that came out of Lightroom. Perhaps that was the issue? It also looks over-sharpened. I'm much more familiar with stills than video, to be honest.

OK, so this is the .MOV file straight off the SD card and uploaded via Filezilla. ​http://gallery.adareimages.com/movie1.MOV​​​

To me, it looks perfect and nothing like the first one. I didn't do anything to it in Lightroom, just imported it and exported it, as I brought it in with the Raw stills images. I'm not really sure how to handle movie files, especially if I want to send them on to others; this file is 1 minute long and over 430MB. Any advice on how to re-name / save and share them is welcome.  
2019-2-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 14:38
OK, so this is the .MOV file straight off the SD card and uploaded via Filezilla. ​http://gallery.adareimages.com/movie1.MOV​​​

To me, it looks perfect and nothing like the first one. I didn't do anything to it in Lightroom, just imported it and exported it, as I brought it in with the Raw stills images. I'm not really sure how to handle movie files, especially if I want to send them on to others; this file is 1 minute long and over 430MB. Any advice on how to re-name / save and share them is welcome.

Sorry, but that link does not work. Any file that comes straight off the SD card will be huge in size, but the Mac does not tell you that, apparently it is not important information. Uploading it to Dropbox is the best way to share an un-modified large file, but depending upon your Internet connection speed, it can take forever to upload.
2019-2-4
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Ireland

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 14:38

To me, it looks perfect and nothing like the first one. I didn't do anything to it in Lightroom, just imported it and exported it, as I brought it in with the Raw stills images. I'm not really sure how to handle movie files, especially if I want to send them on to others; this file is 1 minute long and over 430MB. Any advice on how to re-name / save and share them is welcome.

Thanks again. This is the dropbox link (I think!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ladnn6h1bfzc0j8/DJI_0021.MOV?dl=0
2019-2-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-4 15:28
Thanks again. This is the dropbox link (I think!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ladnn6h1bfzc0j8/DJI_0021.MOV?dl=0

Yes, nothing wrong with that video clip at all, in 4K at 100 Megabits persecond. In fact, it looks quite stunning.
2019-2-4
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2-4 18:25
Yes, nothing wrong with that video clip at all, in 4K at 100 Megabits persecond. In fact, it looks quite stunning.

Thanks, but it doesn't explain why the first one was so poor. I'm still trying to find that out. Also, can you advise what you did to see the resolution and megabits data?
2019-2-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-5 01:44
Thanks, but it doesn't explain why the first one was so poor. I'm still trying to find that out. Also, can you advise what you did to see the resolution and megabits data?

So what was the small file?
How long does it run?
Did you get it from the SD card?
What resolution is it?
Does the file name give you any clues? .. is it in sequence with other genuine files?
2019-2-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2-5 01:44
Thanks, but it doesn't explain why the first one was so poor. I'm still trying to find that out. Also, can you advise what you did to see the resolution and megabits data?

The first one was poor because, as you said, you imported into Lightroom and then saved it for export. Lightroom is not an application designed for handling high resolution movie clips. For that you should use Premier or Final Cut Pro, or better still, Blackmagic Da Vinci Resolve.

I have a small application called MediaInfo installed on my PC. You right click on a movie or still photo file and it reveals the full specification of the file. See:https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
2019-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules