4848 82 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6280 ft
Kazakhstan

Hi,

I am very disappointed by the lack of range for both the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. In all the literature they are advertised as 7Km and I have seen amazing videos where they go this distance. However, mine will hardly make 2Km and the is truly disappointing. I don't know if this is a deliberate misrepresentation or just mis information however I would like to return them or have them replaced with aircraft that will make the advertised range.  

What is my best procedure to follow?

Thanks

2019-2-5
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

The documentation states "up to" 7km. Your distance may vary depending on your environment.
2019-2-5
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-5
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Here in the USA we have to keep our drones in our sight at all times so there's no way for us to fly that far anyway unless you can get a BVLOS waiver from the FAA here. To many fly aways when people fly beyond line of sight anyway so ymmv
I would rather people come and gripe about the distance than they come here saying they lost the dang things.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

ghostrdr Posted at 2-5 08:21
The documentation states "up to" 7km. Your distance may vary depending on your environment.

I dont see the words upto any where?
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

BobB Posted at 2-5 08:30
Here in the USA we have to keep our drones in our sight at all times so there's no way for us to fly that far anyway unless you can get a BVLOS waiver from the FAA here. To many fly aways when people fly beyond line of sight anyway so ymmv
I would rather people come and gripe about the distance than they come here saying they lost the dang things.

I understand Captain BobB but 2km at best is really not very good. I thourght the USA got much further anyway, whats your best?
2019-2-5
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 08:39
[view_image]

I dont see the words upto any where?

You ignored the note (2).

[1] Battery duration is recorded in an ideal flight situation, subject to real flying environments and conditions.
[2] Unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant.
[3] While indoors and within 3.28 ft (1 m) of the aircraft.

If you're in Spain I don't think it's FCC compliant.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

ghostrdr Posted at 2-5 08:47
You ignored the note (2).

[1] Battery duration is recorded in an ideal flight situation, subject to real flying environments and conditions.

Hi Ghostrirdr, no, its CE compliant which is why its in Km not miles? Its not battery duration I am talking about its loss of signal and auto rth.
2019-2-5
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your in Spain max distance M2 5k Mavic Pro 4K , these distances are achievable, but environments must be right for distance flying.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-5 09:05
If you look to the right of "7 KM" I see a [2]. I am assuming that is referring to another part of the page with a more detailed explaination. Does it explain it there?
Flight time has a [1]. Probably explaining that you won't actually get 30 mins.
Noise cushioning has a [3].

Hi Brett, that's a fine question because there are no footnotes or links or explanations of what 1,2 or 3 are on the page. See if you can find it?  https://store.dji.com/es/product/mavic-pro-platinum
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

hallmark007 Posted at 2-5 09:11
If your in Spain max distance M2 5k Mavic Pro 4K , these distances are achievable, but environments must be right for distance flying.

Hi Captain Hallmark007, so you think 5Km if all you will get in Spain? I'm flying out to sea and only get 2 Km before RTH kick in and that's it. I don't find any information on the DJI website to say that this will be all you get?
2019-2-5
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 09:11
Hi Brett, that's a fine question because there are no footnotes or links or explanations of what 1,2 or 3 are on the page. See if you can find it?  https://store.dji.com/es/product/mavic-pro-platinum

The footnotes are at bottom of that screen, just above the 'recommended accessories' section.

Edit:- The details can be seen in the Mavic Pro spec'

• Max Transmission Distance
  • FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
    CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km)
    SRRC Compliant: 2.5mi (4 km)
    MIC Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)

https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic/specs

And Mavic 2:-

FCC: 8000 m
CE: 5000 m
SRRC: 5000 m
MIC: 5000 m

2019-2-5
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 09:15
Hi Captain Hallmark007, so you think 5Km if all you will get in Spain? I'm flying out to sea and only get 2 Km before RTH kick in and that's it. I don't find any information on the DJI website to say that this will be all you get?

2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

Aardvark Posted at 2-5 09:26
The footnotes are at bottom of that screen, just above the 'recommended accessories' section.

Edit:- The details can be seen in the Mavic Pro spec'

Hi Captain Aardvark, thanks for that I don't think I would have every found it! There a big 7Km on the main page but this is a substantial difference. I think it should be made a bit clearer.  I would love to get 4 Km even but as I say I'm lucky to get 2Km!
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the experience, About the range of the Aircraft this may vary on the location especially if there are any interference, environment, and conditions in the area that may affect from the connection from the Aircraft to the Remote controller, also may depend as well on the range restriction if it's CE/FCC. I hope you understand. Best regards!
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-5 09:28
Would this have anything to do with FC mode vs FCC mode. I remember reading a post about unlocking FCC to its full potential or something like that.

Also, flying that far out to sea, you are alot more trusting of DJI than I am...

I know Americans are allowed more power and in Europe I've just found out we get 4Km not 7Km (thanks Captain Aardvark) so far RTH has always worked. And the precision landing on the latest up dat seem to be good too. Just wish it would go a bit further 2Km isn't great.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

5km would be a dream come true! Lol!
2019-2-5
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 09:37
Hi Captain Aardvark, thanks for that I don't think I would have every found it! There a big 7Km on the main page but this is a substantial difference. I think it should be made a bit clearer.  I would love to get 4 Km even but as I say I'm lucky to get 2Km!

I can go out to 8.5km in CE mode without any drops in signal with my mpp, that is in the middle of nowhere so no outside interference. Seeing that both your drones struggle to go past 2km there must be some serious interference where you are trying to fly.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-5 09:37
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the experience, About the range of the Aircraft this may vary on the location especially if there are any interference, environment, and conditions in the area that may affect from the connection from the Aircraft to the Remote controller, also may depend as well on the range restriction if it's CE/FCC. I hope you understand. Best regards!

Hi Gamora, thanks for the reply, a few people here have pointed me in the direction of other information which ranges for 5Km to 4Km in Europe. Are there any actual statistics on average expected flying distances achieved as my "record" is 1.8Km which is very disappointing when reading the sales literature?
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

Koelkop Posted at 2-5 09:48
I can go out to 8.5km in CE mode without any drops in signal with my mpp, that is in the middle of nowhere so no outside interference. Seeing that both your drones struggle to go past 2km there must be some serious interference where you are trying to fly.

wow, that is amazing ! Where are you based, Spain too?
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 09:49
Hi Gamora, thanks for the reply, a few people here have pointed me in the direction of other information which ranges for 5Km to 4Km in Europe. Are there any actual statistics on average expected flying distances achieved as my "record" is 1.8Km which is very disappointing when reading the sales literature?

I understand you about that, you may give a try to fly in a different location just to test and make sure your location doesn't have those being said above like the interference.
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-5 09:59
I understand you about that, you may give a try to fly in a different location just to test and make sure your location doesn't have those being said above like the interference.

I will but unless I have uncovered a secret electromagnetic NATO base under the Mediterranean I can't get much further away from "civilisation". I'll try up a mountain!
2019-2-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Are you paying attention to the part that says UNOBSTRUCTED, and are you maintaining visual line of sight  between the drone and the antennas with parallel polarity of the antennas and drone?
2019-2-5
Use props
gobama84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7608 ft
United States

Hi Captain Aardvark, thanks for that I don't think I would have every found it! There a big 7Km on the main page but this is a substantial difference. I think it should be made a bit clearer.  I would love to get 4 Km even but as I say I'm lucky to get 2Km!

Maybe should have said Captain Obvious.  Wait that is Hotels.com
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2-5 11:09
Are you paying attention to the part that says UNOBSTRUCTED, and are you maintaining visual line of sight  between the drone and the antennas with parallel polarity of the antennas and drone?

Hi Agon,

yes, this is out over the sea and I watched the video about antenna direction and keep them right. If you are in europe how far is it before you lose signal and get RTH?
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

gobama84 Posted at 2-5 11:16
Maybe should have said Captain Obvious.  Wait that is Hotels.com

Hi Gob, not sure what any of that means but thank you for your contribution.
2019-2-5
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 09:54
wow, that is amazing ! Where are you based, Spain too?

No I am from South Africa. Down on the west coast
2019-2-5
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

very nice.
2019-2-5
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I also live in Spain, and I take my Mavic Pro more than 6km easily on any day.
I think that something must be not quiete right with your setup that you use to fly. 2km for the Mavic Pro out to sea, even on CE mode is too little too short. I’ve taken the Spark 3.5km
If I were you, then I would try on a completely different device, like a very good iPad or iPad Pro for example, I’m sure that you will see a difference there.
Also why don’t you just switch to FCC mode, as I have done. So that way you have 0 issues with range and signal strength quality?

Flysafely
Alex
2019-2-5
Use props
fans945559b5
lvl.1
United States

Return it.. DJI products are really bad quality. Ive had two bad experiences with two different products.  They are money pits.
2019-2-5
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

fans945559b5 Posted at 2-5 14:36
Return it.. DJI products are really bad quality. Ive had two bad experiences with two different products.  They are money pits.

Dont agree here with you.
Dji products are top quality and I’m 100% happy with them!

Flysafely
Alex
2019-2-5
Use props
fans945559b5
lvl.1
United States

Alex B. Posted at 2-5 15:06
Dont agree here with you.
Dji products are top quality and I’m 100% happy with them!

Give it sometime unfortunately youll find out sooner or later.
2019-2-5
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

fans945559b5 Posted at 2-5 15:44
Give it sometime unfortunately youll find out sooner or later.

I dunno about that.  I've had mine for about a year and a half now and with my last flight, I have 6,666,720 feet of travel distance. (1262 Miles, or 2,032 Km) with never a problem what wasn't fixed by replacing a USB cable.  And that is with a set of Phones that aren't even on the "Aproved" list.  Never a crash, never a bug and as I said, the only time that I lost video was due to a bad cable.  I think that's pretty danged dependable.  
2019-2-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

photographermarbella Posted at 2-5 11:32
Hi Agon,

yes, this is out over the sea and I watched the video about antenna direction and keep them right. If you are in europe how far is it before you lose signal and get RTH?

Sorry, I'm not in EU and I've never had a signal loss that triggered RTH.  I've stretched my range beyond 2 miles, but that's it.  Never had a forced RTH.  My question was because many people don't pay attention to antenna orientation when flying.  You should always face the drone and have the antennas set so the flat side of them is facing the drone.  That means nearly vertical if you're at a distance, and pointing straight out from you if the drone is high above you.  

2019-2-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Truth in Advertising means - claiming maximum ever achieved under perfect conditions, while footnoting to obscure tiny print located elsewhere, that customer will be lucky to achieve 1/2 of what is claimed under idea conditions, 10% of time.  
2019-2-5
Use props
fansb7498c91
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1333458 ft
United States

Did you try raising height to about 1500 feet which will help your trajectory ...
2019-2-5
Use props
fansb7498c91
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1333458 ft
United States

Hi Captain Aardvark, thanks for that I don't think I would have every found it! There a big 7Km on the main page but this is a substantial difference. I think it should be made a bit clearer.  I would love to get 4 Km even but as I say I'm lucky to get 2Km!

I added a 4 Hawks XR antenna which is set up for Mavic2.  I typically get out and with full signal  at 23,000 feet over 4 miles over 6km and only turn around due to battery.  I used to get less than half that range.
2019-2-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules