Manfrotto camp-on remote for follow focus
3269 11 2015-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhamelin
lvl.2
Canada

Hey everyone,

I am looking into a remote/wireless follow focus system for my Ronin-M/5d III.

I really like redrock wireless thumb controller, but its' about $2000. I was wondering if anyone ever used the manfrotto clamp-on remote control.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... te_Control_for.html

I think its good enough, but they only thing that worries me is that the USB cable is very short. I tried looking for a extansion cable, but I can't find any slim USB cables.

So whats everyone using for their follow focus system (one operator)?
2015-6-5
Use props
mark.vesinet
lvl.1

United States

I really would like to know what people are using as well. This manfrotto idea is really cool but I don't use Canon glass
2015-6-6
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

2 very different things, the USB focus controllers are great to set your focus and take off but I wouldn't use one to pull focus during a shoot... they ratchet or move in tiny jumps.     I never used the RedRock but I have absolutely no doubt its smooth as butter.    I don't use Canon but being able to set focus and run from a USB control would be perfect for me, if I went through the hassle of mounting a motorized wireless FF I would go ahead and get a video transmitter and another screen and split the job between 2 people.

There are a few high quality looking wireless follow focus systems out now, never use this one but I do have a Wondlan steadycam and vest that are really well made and it looks pretty good in this review

I have never bought from this Ebay seller I just posted the first link that came up in google
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDLAN- ... 2141725.m3641.l6368

Review

to save $1500 wonder if something like this could be attached so you could get at it from the bars? all kinds of different brands and sized on Ebay
2015-6-6
Use props
mark.vesinet
lvl.1

United States

Problem is that for the Ronin M these setups just look way too large, require 15mm rods, and would make the camera so front heavy
2015-6-6
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

mark.vesinet Posted at 2015-6-7 02:48
Problem is that for the Ronin M these setups just look way too large, require 15mm rods, and would m ...

some take 2 15mm rods and some just one... in the video I posted above the large receiver box could go on the top bar only the actual focus motor would need to be on the gimbal.    just to test the theory I was able to balance an old D700 and 20mm 2.8 lens with a Zacuto follow focus with the supplied Ronin Plate.   I do agree though, if you are after a real wireless follow focus system probably would make more sense to get the full size Ronin.       The USB ones that use the cameras AF motors seem like they would be very handy on the M just not silky smooth
2015-6-6
Use props
ainsworthwillia
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dji have one in prototype stage -  

would guess at it coming out before the end of the year going by how advanced and ready that proto looks.   
2015-6-6
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks for the answers everyone. I think I will go with the manfrotto... I will let you guys know what I think of it, but here's the key point that made my decision :

-A lot cheaper then the other type of remote follow focus
-USB so I dont need to buy rods, rings, adapters, clamps to put on the handle bars
-Quick to install and won't affect the balance too much.
-Perfect for run and gun
-light weight. There's no transmitter/receiver

Ive check some videos and you can pull focus a little bit,

Well see!

2015-6-7
Use props
mark.vesinet
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for posting the DJI one, that looks nice and small, hopefully lightweight. I already have to add so much back weight to my KineMini to get it to work on Ronin M, so I need to avoid as much front weight as possible.
2015-6-10
Use props
cookinghusband
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41463 ft
Hong Kong

The manfrotto one works the same way when you have connect you 5D3 to a PC /MAC via a usb cable,

you can try out with your PC/Mac first

It will not work unless you have a EF mount AF lens.

Also you can try the DSLR Controller app for Android phone which uses the same mechanism and communication protocol.
2015-6-13
Use props
cookinghusband
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41463 ft
Hong Kong

Ray Posted at 2015-6-7 01:11
2 very different things, the USB focus controllers are great to set your focus and take off but I wo ...

mounting a 15mm rod system on the ronin-m create a over weight/unbalance problem,

All geared or belt system create this problem.

but then the USB controlling the EF len AF type system have a smoothness problem.

really depend what you are look for, give or take.

Honestly USB type is so much easier.
2015-6-13
Use props
lyleaspinall
New

Canada

I see it's been a year since jhamelin's original post, but I'm dying to know if the Manfrotto clamp-on USB remote worked well with the Ronin M. It looks great except for the cable. It seems to me the coiled design and short length would make a bad combo for any gimbal.
2016-5-29
Use props
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

I purchased a low end wireless solution and rigged it on the Ronin..It's based on servos and has 4 programmable buttons. It has a second focus motor as well. Long story short barely usable and wobbles on the second channel and can only use programmed buttons. I'd like to know how the USB/lens combo works as well!!

I do motion control and looking to program lens movements, use on the Ronin as wireless would be a bonus..I've finished the design of a stepper driven follow focus and moving into a working prototype next couple weeks..last stage of a nine axis programmable system that's mostly working now.

The reason I post here..I could have this on kickstarter next month or so love to hear feedback! PM is fine..Main goal was to move motor weight/noise behind camera and I feel the design is ready! I have 3D printers and machine so this will happen quick!
Just need to know if I'm building 1 or 10!!
cheers
Darrin
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules