12Next >
10627 53 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doxidox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33343 ft
Austria

Hi, we were shooting in a gym lately an using the osmo pocket as a B-cam. In a lot of the video files we noticed a weird color flicker, probably being generated by the white balance of the camera. See an example here:

Allthough we had the camera in manual white balance the camera seemed to try to adapt the magenta levels in the blacks to the changing scenery in a very flickery way. Im pretty sure this can be fixed by a software update, but it still ruined ~50% of our shots on the Osmo pocket, which is absolutely annoying.

best regards
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing this video with us. Regarding your concern, have you tried to shoot in a different environment so we can check? Thanks.
2019-2-5
Use props
doxidox
lvl.1
Austria

If it is any help, we were shooting in D-Cinelike Color Mode
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

doxidox Posted at 2-5 14:38
If it is any help, we were shooting in D-Cinelike Color Mode

Hi, would it be possible if you could provide other videos with different enviroment? Since the video above is against the Light environment. Please keep us posted for further help. Thank you.
2019-2-6
Use props
doxidox
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-6 11:12
Hi, would it be possible if you could provide other videos with different enviroment? Since the video above is against the Light environment. Please keep us posted for further help. Thank you.

Hi, here is a compilation of other shots that have the same problem. It seems to be triggered with a change in lighting, but not all the time. As you can see, there are also shots where the lighting stays the same and the flicker still occurs. This time I used the raw footage, no color correction applied.

Unfortunately I don't have shots in completely different environments showing the problem. I guess you can imagine I am not a full-time product tester for DJI, so these samples have to suffice. Also, shooting against the light CAN NOT be a problem for any modern camera, since this type of scenario happens all the time.
2019-2-6
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

I've also seen the same flicker ruin most of my Osmo Pocket shots since the last firmware update. Here's a shot I did just now in my kitchen, with only natural light, all lights off in the house:

2019-2-6
Use props
Arc Light
lvl.4
Canada

Looking at your examples it's tough to pinpoint the problem with all the movement. I assume your not shooting in auto iris?  The other thing I see is most of your shots with problems you are shooting toward bright windows, could the colour shifts your seeing be caused by lens flares?
2019-2-6
Use props
doxidox
lvl.1
Austria

Arc Light Posted at 2-6 13:17
Looking at your examples it's tough to pinpoint the problem with all the movement. I assume your not shooting in auto iris?  The other thing I see is most of your shots with problems you are shooting toward bright windows, could the colour shifts your seeing be caused by lens flares?

It is definitely not a problem with flares. Eastcores example demonstrates it perfectly, just look at the end where he doesn't even point the camera at the window, but at his cat.
2019-2-6
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

I think this has to do with changes in iso sensitivity when in Auto exposure.  It does not happen in manual exposure, and I'm pretty sure what we're seeing is the change in black level as the iso changes. this is why it's more prevalent in D-cine mode.
2019-2-6
Use props
djiuser_36CdOEQUehX4
lvl.3
Austria

The Eastcore Posted at 2-6 13:36
I think this has to do with changes in iso sensitivity when in Auto exposure.  It does not happen in manual exposure, and I'm pretty sure what we're seeing is the change in black level as the iso changes. this is why it's more prevalent in D-cine mode.

I agree. Are you familiar with vectorscope and waveform? If you analyse the raw video you should see a change in color or luminance.
2019-2-6
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.3
Austria

djiuser_36CdOEQUehX4 Posted at 2-6 14:07
I agree. Are you familiar with vectorscope and waveform? If you analyse the raw video you should see a change in color or luminance.

I made a test  and saw the same flickering on a grey wall.  You notice the flickering in the histogram(RGB). It shows a  horizontal bump in the shadows for a few milliseconds (shadows get flat (vertical) and stretched(horizontal)). So it's not a white balance issue but the contrast is changing because of changes in iso sensitivity.
2019-2-7
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_36CdOEQUehX4 Posted at 2-6 14:07

After a quick analysis of the issue, I am pretty confident it's as simple as DJI botched the internal readout mapping with the D-Cine format at certain ISO's. It's not as simple as a black-level cutoff, as the tint/cast shows well into mid grey levels. This really sucks, because it makes things very difficult for us to correct. On the other hand, it should be a very easy fix for DJI to implement in a future firmware.

DJI NEEDS TO FIX THIS.
2019-2-7
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

The Eastcore Posted at 2-7 06:06
After a quick analysis of the issue, I am pretty confident it's as simple as DJI botched the internal readout mapping with the D-Cine format at certain ISO's. It's not as simple as a black-level cutoff, as the tint/cast shows well into mid grey levels. This really sucks, because it makes things very difficult for us to correct. On the other hand, it should be a very easy fix for DJI to implement in a future firmware.
[view_image]
DJI NEEDS TO FIX THIS.

GIF file didn't work in the last post. Here:
2019-2-7
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.3
Austria

The Eastcore Posted at 2-7 06:11
[view_image]

Thank you for analyzing the issue. I hope they will fix it asap.
2019-2-7
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

[view_image]

Update:
After more testing, I can confirm a couple of things:

First, this appears to be something wrong with iso 3200 on the Osmo Pocket. I've run through the iso range, and though they are pretty consistent, once you jump to iso 3200, the "pink cast" takes over. When set to Auto, we will see this change in colour and contrast anytime the camera jump to 3200.

Second, this DOES happen in both D-Cine and Standard colour modes. It's just not as noticeable in standard colour due to the crushed blacks and contrast.

So, hopefully DJI can remap their sensor readout for iso3200 to match the rest of the range in a FW update.
2019-2-8
Use props
Arc Light
lvl.4
Canada

Excellent job analyzing the problem!  Let's hope DJI sees this and are able to implement a future firmware fix.
2019-2-8
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mine does the same - very annoying flicker in low light.
2019-2-9
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

[view_image]

this problem is called "intra frame flicker"
2019-2-11
Use props
Sircoynie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170676 ft
United Kingdom

I have just noticed this on my day old Osmo Pocket, is there a fix/do we know if DJI are looking to fix? Thanks
2019-3-12
Use props
davidvek
lvl.3
Italy

in manual or auto esposition
2019-3-17
Use props
davidvek
lvl.3
Italy

doxidox Posted at 2-6 12:10
Hi, here is a compilation of other shots that have the same problem. It seems to be triggered with a change in lighting, but not all the time. As you can see, there are also shots where the lighting stays the same and the flicker still occurs. This time I used the raw footage, no color correction applied.

https://vimeo.com/315736521/f542b44ee7

also to me it makes the same problem, it is the cinelike, if you remove it does not do it anymore, or you have to lower the times and use the iso manually, sorry my english
2019-3-17
Use props
djiuser_qcRHjOgnSLeL
New

Singapore

I have the same problem, this is very annoying!!!
2019-3-21
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same here. Perhaps the only comfort until this is fixed is that it's not likely a hardware issue seeing as though so many of us have the issue.

Pretty sure it's since the last Firmware too. Never noticed it before.
2019-4-7
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

djiuser_qcRHjOgnSLeL Posted at 3-21 13:31
I have the same problem, this is very annoying!!!

I also noticed on indoor recording ...
2019-4-7
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

I have this issue as well but I thing that I had it too also before the new firmware.
2019-4-7
Use props
SuperBura
lvl.1
Russia

The same on the new Osmo Pocket (production date April 2019) with the latest firmware update. The problem is really annoying and interferes with post-production. DJI should pay attention to this and fix it!
2019-5-25
Use props
djiman84
lvl.1
United States

Hey,

Has anyone found a solution to this yet or something that can reduce the effect? I bought an Osmo pocket a few days before my family trip to Florida for the purpose of capturing family memories. I'm now in Florida as we speak and I have footage that is close to being unusable and it's rather upsetting.

I've been using the PolarPro ND filters but i assume these don't have an effect on what i'm seeing (change in colour between what i would consider normal and a pink tone). It doesn't fade between these either and is rather more a flicker between which is very off putting. It would be more acceptable if the change in tone wasn't so instant making it so obvious.

Anything anyone can advise, i'm all ears.

Currently using:
- 4K 16:9 60fps
- Pro mode using D-Clike Colour, auto WB, Manual exposure 1/120 shutter and auto ISO
- ND16 filter (i have also used ND16/PL and ND32/PL

Thanks.
2019-6-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, sorry for the troubles with the footage, could you please export short original footage from the SD card and upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and then post the link here so that we can download for further analysis? Besides, we also need the log from SD card.
Please open the hidden file and then find the log under: MISC/LOG/camera_log.log+gimbal_log.log
2019-6-12
Use props
djiman84
lvl.1
United States

Hi Mindy,

Just before i post, i assume there is no personally identifiable information within the log files?

Thanks.
2019-6-14
Use props
djiman84
lvl.1
United States

Can you also confirm that the logs don't include any thumbnails encoded within?

Thanks.
2019-6-14
Use props
djiman84
lvl.1
United States

Hi Mindy,

Once you confirm the questions on logs i will post those to you, in the meantime please see example video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5NlTM61Z2mEksEvx1rcsMSclc-PUHdN/view?usp=sharing

Look from at 27 seconds in.

Thanks
2019-6-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiman84 Posted at 6-16 08:42
Hi Mindy,

Once you confirm the questions on logs i will post those to you, in the meantime please see example video:

Sorry for the late response, please reply to one of my posts directly so I can get the notification and reply timely.
About the SD logs, I will verify with our engineers and come back to you soon.
2019-6-21
Use props
AdrianGMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250190 ft
United States

Mine does the same. I realized it was the auto ISO. Once you get towards darker areas the higher ISOs the osmo pocket has a hard time figuring out what ISO to chose so it goes back and forth trying to choose one. I heavily recommend to use manual ISO to avoid this but it is not practical in all situations.
2019-6-22
Use props
djiman84
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-21 03:35
Sorry for the late response, please reply to one of my posts directly so I can get the notification and reply timely.
About the SD logs, I will verify with our engineers and come back to you soon.

Thanks, i have an RMA setup to return the device, but want to know if this is an issue with all devices regardless and sending back will be a waste of time. It is fine when setting a manual ISO but that's not great for filming moving shots of the family between different lighting settings.

Any input you can give would be greatly appreciated.
2019-6-23
Use props
leeviz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39446 ft
United States

Hello,
I've also experienced this in an indoor shooting with auto ISO. (48fps, manual white balance, d-cinelike). Funny thing is that I've shot in a darker indoor with auto ISO but I never saw flickering color like this. Is this a new bug?
2019-6-27
Use props
gyliao
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-12 20:07
Hi all, sorry for the troubles with the footage, could you please export short original footage from the SD card and upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and then post the link here so that we can download for further analysis? Besides, we also need the log from SD card.
Please open the hidden file and then find the log under: MISC/LOG/camera_log.log+gimbal_log.log

Have the same issue here, here is video and log
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0w4n0npexix83zr/AAAwk0PU1lOfjMb6W9-uHAgba?dl=0

Hope it can be solved.

2019-6-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

gyliao Posted at 6-28 15:38
Have the same issue here, here is video and log
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0w4n0npexix83zr/AAAwk0PU1lOfjMb6W9-uHAgba?dl=0

Thanks for the original footage, our engineers are working on locating the problem, if there is any update, I will keep you posted.
2019-7-2
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I hope it can be fixed too. I've also noticed this problem. I need to do some more tests... maybe it is the auto while balance? I'll try wit and without auto while balance.
2019-7-2
Use props
leeviz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39446 ft
United States

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3vf81ul4t54pk5/OsmoFlicker.mov?dl=0

I don't think it only happens in low light situation. I see it in footage shot outdoors. Sky was overcast but not dark environment. Please DJI fix this issue.  
2019-7-3
Use props
The Eastcore
lvl.1
Canada

Everyone here looking for a solution; Shoot manual ISO. Make sure your Osmo doesn't hit iso 3200 and you will avoid the flicker all together. Since I've switched to using manual exposure I have not seen this happen at all.
2019-7-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules