Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iMac recommendation for editing 4K
1611 26 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Hi guys,

I have an iMac 27" Mid-2010 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 Gb RAM. It has been a wonderful computer, but it's not quite cutting it these days particularly when editing 4K. I would like thoughts/recommendations from anyone using the latest generation of iMac/iMac Pro.
- Do I need an iMac Pro, or will the standard iMac do the job?
- The max RAM on iMac is 64Gb. Is this enough? (128Gb max on Pro)

Incidentally, I am not the least interested in a Windows PC solution. I spent my working life designing and writing software for that platform and got thoroughly sick of the continual maintenance required to keep a Windows PC running efficiently. I have had zero issues, and no rebuilds in the 9 years since switching to Apple.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2019-2-5
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

You can almost spec out the iMac to pro. 64 Gb should do fine. The biggest "upgrade", from your mid-2010 iMac, should be the SSD.

2019-2-5
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

BTW, for PC guys, the continual maintenance seems to be half the fun!
2019-2-5
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-5 16:54
You can almost spec out the iMac to pro. 64 Gb should do fine. The biggest "upgrade", from your mid-2010 iMac, should be the SSD.

Thanks for the reply. My 2010 was built to the highest spec available at the time, I have a 250Mb SSD in it. I'm thinking the additional cores and RAM will be the main difference in the newer models from mine. The Pro has up to 18 cores whereas standard iMac only supports quad core .. obviously the Pro cost WAY more, so it's a balancing act
2019-2-5
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-5 16:56
BTW, for PC guys, the continual maintenance seems to be half the fun!

25 odd years of having to purge and reload the OS each 6 - 12 months permanently cured me of that!
2019-2-5
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

Yes; a totally maxed out iMac will roughly cost the starting price of the iMac Pro, about $5K US.

2019-2-5
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

forbsie Posted at 2-5 17:11
25 odd years of having to purge and reload the OS each 6 - 12 months permanently cured me of that!

I've always preferred to work with my computer, not on it!
2019-2-5
Use props
TheCameraGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

I’m using a 2017 27 inch iMac. I’ve upgraded the RAM to 64. You need a 6 drive RAID minimum as large as you can afford to playback in real time TB3 of course.  

I’d have upgraded the processor to an i7 if I bought again.  

Many of the MacBook Pro s also can handle it. It’s the storage drives that make the biggest deal.
2019-2-5
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

TheCameraGuy Posted at 2-5 19:01
I’m using a 2017 27 inch iMac. I’ve upgraded the RAM to 64. You need a 6 drive RAID minimum as large as you can afford to playback in real time TB3 of course.  

I’d have upgraded the processor to an i7 if I bought again.  

Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting the highest spec I can afford, doing so served me very well with my Mid-2010. A 6 Drive RAID array is an expensive proposition! I'm guessing you are suggesting using RAID 0 configuration? I had it in mind to get a 2 Drive array configured RAID 1 for redundancy. Cheers
2019-2-5
Use props
zoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 97402 ft
  • >>>
Australia

forbsie Posted at 2-5 19:22
Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting the highest spec I can afford, doing so served me very well with my Mid-2010. A 6 Drive RAID array is an expensive proposition! I'm guessing you are suggesting using RAID 0 configuration? I had it in mind to get a 2 Drive array configured RAID 1 for redundancy. Cheers

Just sold my 27" iMac 2010 because it could not handle 4k @ 100Mbits from my P4P

One option is to use Proxyies in what ever App you use FCP / Premiere / Resolve

Upgraded to 2018 MacBook Pro Max 16Gb ram and external 500Gb SSD drive solved my problem

But still use proxies anyway just to speed up the work flow

cheers

2019-2-6
Use props
OmeSlikkum
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hi,

Are you gonna buy a new one or a second handed. If you do the latter, at least buy an iMac with a 4k screen on it ;)

If you buy a new one, I just checked the specs. And I can only say if your budget is sufficient go for the pro. The fact is, that the Pro has more cores (starting from 8 up to 18) and almost all video editing software can use multicore. I don't know what u use, but check if your software does that. And then the more proc's the better.

If you have more patience. And a lower budget, a "normal" iMac will do the trick just fine. Put 32gb or 64gb in it en get the quickest proc there is. I wouldn't really care about internal storage. A 1tb SSD for your programs is enough. Buy a WD book with a USB-C connector (Or Thunderbolt III or something) and you won't notice if you need to edit from that hard drive.

So depends on your budget.
2019-2-6
Use props
TheCameraGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

forbsie Posted at 2-5 19:22

The RAID is the key for 4K editing. The processors in the iMac Pro will,get bogged down if there is not enough throughput from the drives. A single drive, even a single TB3 drive won’t do it.

I’ve been editing 4K since 2014.  I know what I’m talking about.  You can do this for under a grand
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hopefully, our valued DJI Forum members could share their recommendation for iMac that you may need and be able to edit your 4k resolution videos. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

zoom Posted at 2-6 04:07
Just sold my 27" iMac 2010 because it could not handle 4k @ 100Mbits from my P4P

One option is to use Proxyies in what ever App you use FCP / Premiere / Resolve

Thanks for your reply. My mid-2010 is still functioning perfectly apart from editing video, .. really seems a shame to get rid of it. I will certainly look into using proxies when I get the new Mac. Cheers
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

OmeSlikkum Posted at 2-6 04:49
Hi,

Are you gonna buy a new one or a second handed. If you do the latter, at least buy an iMac with a 4k screen on it ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am intending to purchase a new one (with the 5K screen). Budget isn't really an issue .. until I looked at the cost of a high spec iMac Pro but I will get the highest spec I can afford. That approach served me well with my iMac mid-2010 because it has lasted almost 9 years without missing a beat. Cheers
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

TheCameraGuy Posted at 2-6 10:34
The RAID is the key for 4K editing. The processors in the iMac Pro will,get bogged down if there is not enough throughput from the drives. A single drive, even a single TB3 drive won’t do it.

I’ve been editing 4K since 2014.  I know what I’m talking about.  You can do this for under a grand

Thanks. I wasn't doubting what you are saying. I will certainly look into various RAID options .. the ones I've looked at so far are pretty expensive for 6 bays i.e. $4K +
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 2-6 11:06
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hopefully, our valued DJI Forum members could share their recommendation for iMac that you may need and be able to edit your 4k resolution videos. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.

Thanks DJI Tony
2019-2-6
Use props
opnwong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190161 ft
United Kingdom

I regular cut 4K video with a 2105 27" iMac (DaVince Resolve, FCPX) have not experience major problems.
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

opnwong Posted at 2-6 15:16
I regular cut 4K video with a 2105 27" iMac (DaVince Resolve, FCPX) have not experience major problems.[view_image]

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know! I am stuck on High Sierra at the moment. Your processor and RAM is significantly faster than mine and I'm sure the extra graphics memory help a lot too.

2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You're most welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other concern. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-6
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

forbsie Posted at 2-6 15:29
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know! I am stuck on High Sierra at the moment. Your processor and RAM is significantly faster than mine and I'm sure the extra graphics memory help a lot too.

[view_image]

If you max out the iMac, that graphics card will have an 8 fold increase in RAM. With this, combined with doubling and upgrading your memory, I think you'll be able to handle the tasks.
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-6 16:36
If you max out the iMac, that graphics card will have an 8 fold increase in RAM. With this, combined with doubling and upgrading your memory, I think you'll be able to handle the tasks.

Or 16X if I go with iMac Pro top graphics option, .. just have to weigh up how much I want to spend $$$
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-6 16:36

BTW, that's a cool profile pic .. where was it taken? I'm guessing Myanmar or Thailand
2019-2-6
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

Unfortunately, one can't test a maxed out iMac. Apple Stores only stock entry level models.

However, although the processor  and graphics card would be different, the entry level pro is spec'ed at about what you could achieve with the iMac (with 32Gb of memory}. You might head over and play with a showroom Pro and see what it does.
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-6 16:46
Unfortunately, one can't test a maxed out iMac. Apple Stores only stock entry level models.

However, although the processor  and graphics card would be different, the entry level pro is spec'ed at about what you could achieve with the iMac (with 32Gb of memory}. You might head over and play with a showroom Pro and see what it does.

Yep, that's what I am planning to do in the next few days
2019-2-6
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

Hopefully, they will allow you to load some of your own 4K. Here, in Bangkok, they panic at the sight of a flash drive!

Maybe bring the Pocket with you.
2019-2-6
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Curt1591 Posted at 2-6 16:55
Hopefully, they will allow you to load some of your own 4K. Here, in Bangkok, they panic at the sight of a flash drive!

Maybe bring the Pocket with you.

I knew that scene was familiar, just couldn't place it .. Wat Saket! Love Bangkok, more each time I visit! Cheers mate
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules