do we need to put the phone in airplane mode while flying?
10298 13 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hello Friends,

Is it recommended to put the phone is airplane mode before initiating the flight? i read somewhere that its suggested to put the phone in airplane mode as the phone's signals may interfere with the remote controller antenna signals. Is it true?

I usually fly my drone with my phone actively connected to wifi/mobile data, gps and mobile netowrk, and i never faced any problems. But recently after reading the airplane mode topic, i tried it, and i noticed that, it was difficult to get a gps lock quickly for homepoint setting as compared to earlier way. And also my drone started giving too many compass caliberation errors, even during mid flights for fraction of seconds. Sometimes the compass caliberation error will popup mid flight and then after 1-2 secs it will be nomal and go away automatically.

Not sure, whether this behavior is anything to do with the phone set to airplane mode.
What steps do you follow?

Thanks,
Dinesh
2019-2-5
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Fitbit, 4G or 2 Wifi connections at all times when flying a Mavic air and 2 zoom, and never really had issues.
2019-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always fly with cellular left on and wifi/bluetooth off - never had a transmission issue. Dustin Dunhill on YT does the same and reached 6.09 miles with his Mavic 2 Pro and still had a strong signal before turning around and flying back to the HP.
2019-2-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Same here, never turn them off
2019-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

We don't have to but it would be wise to.
2019-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

A CW Posted at 2-6 00:05
I always fly with cellular left on and wifi/bluetooth off - never had a transmission issue. Dustin Dunhill on YT does the same and reached 6.09 miles with his Mavic 2 Pro and still had a strong signal before turning around and flying back to the HP.

Mavic 2 is ocusync, question was for MavAir I think... Which is far more picky when it comes to signal quality.
2019-2-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-6 04:48
Mavic 2 is ocusync, question was for MavAir I think...  Which is far more picky when it comes to signal quality.

The farthest I've ever flown with my MA was just over a mile and I've never turned off wifi.  It seems to me that the signal strength from the MA and the controller are so much stronger that it wouldn't matter.  The only time I have issues is when there's a lot of wifi interference between the controller and the MA.
2019-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-6 04:48
Mavic 2 is ocusync, question was for MavAir I think...  Which is far more picky when it comes to signal quality.

Ah yeah, that's different lol Turn it on.
2019-2-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I never fly in Airplane mode, cellular on and bluetooth off.
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. About that actually, it's not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying. Best regards and Fly safely.
2019-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I tried everything and had zero issues.
(Mavic Pro).
So for now I stick with 'normal' phone mode. (nothing off)
2019-2-6
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It's good practice to do so, I do out of habit. With my Mavic Pro, it made a massive difference when put in "Airplane Mode" to disconnects and signal feed and I mean HUGE. Have not noticed so much with the Air however, but still think it's a good idea personally.
2019-2-6
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Have to try the different modes, but not Bluetooth, I have experienced signal lag with that on the phone I use.  With airplane mode off, if you get a text message can it interrupt the guidance of the aircraft?
2019-2-6
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I've heard some say to turn it off but thru my un-scientific testing- "Dave, I can't tell any difference."

2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules