Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air - pano mode strange behavior
1267 13 2019-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cjr888
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Hello everybody.I've upgraded from Spark to Mavic Air recently and I really like Air in all aspects.

The only problem I'm facing is the Horizontal Pano mode behavior when I try to capture downwards facing panorama.
It's pretty tricky to describe but I'll do my best.

So I enter the pano mode in camera settings and choose the Horizontal Pano (3 by 3 pictures). I tilt the gimbal down to around -45° or completely down -90° and launch the pano shooting.
What I was expecting (and all DJI drones including Spark did it this way so far) is that the camera will take the 1st shot straight away and compose other 8 shots around it by tilting the camera or rotating the aircraft (in case of downward pano).

Instead of this, the gimbal always recenter back to 0° (leveled on horizon) and camera takes three rows of pictures in 0°, -30° and -60° angle instead of having the center of pano shot in desired angle.

This thing happens everytime I try to take pano shot with camera lower than appoximatelly -40 degrees.

I tried almost everything I could - tried to reset the camera settings, refreshed FW using DJI Assistant 2, restored factory settings, calibrated gimbal just to be sure but no luck.

Interesting fact is that another Mavic Air owned by my friend doesn't have this problem at all and behaves exactly how it supposed to do. We have the same FW version of everything including GO4 app but the drone behavior is completely different.

Thanks for any opinion.
2019-2-7
Use props
cjr888
lvl.4
  • >>>
Czechia

Here's a screen recording of the issue. https://youtu.be/ZQMXjM6WCTU
2019-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day cjr888. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the panoramic mode of your DJI Mavic Air. May we know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please? For us to isolate the issue we are having today? Thank you.
2019-2-8
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

I've been flying my Mavic Air since June 2018, and that's how it has taken every panorama, no matter which type (horizontal, vertical, or spherical). Before taking the first shot, it gimbals to the horizon, no matter where it was pointed before the shot. I've always assumed that was the normal behavior; I'd love to know if there is a way to force the pano to begin at somewhere other than the horizon.

Larry

P.S. In case it makes any difference (which I doubt), I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" tablet as my mobile device, and always keep DJI GO 4 at the latest version.
2019-2-9
Use props
cjr888
lvl.4
  • >>>
Czechia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-8 10:25
Hello and good day cjr888. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the panoramic mode of your DJI Mavic Air. May we know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please? For us to isolate the issue we are having today? Thank you.

Hello Stephen, currently I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0. Just in case you'd ask, I'm using the latest GO4 app version from the Google Play store and latest firmware in the aircraft and remote controller. I've been testing the pano mode behavior today and discovered that downwards shooting actually works but only in the vertical panorama (three shots in a column). There the camera takes one shot straight down, then one  above it and then the aircraft turns around 180 degrees and the camera takes the final shot from behind. I need this to be functional for the horizontal panorama (one shot straight down and the other 8 composed around by rotating the aircraft. That's how the Spark does it for example).
2019-2-9
Use props
cjr888
lvl.4
  • >>>
Czechia

larryc43230 Posted at 2-9 05:02
I've been flying my Mavic Air since June 2018, and that's how it has taken every panorama, no matter which type (horizontal, vertical, or spherical). Before taking the first shot, it gimbals to the horizon, no matter where it was pointed before the shot. I've always assumed that was the normal behavior; I'd love to know if there is a way to force the pano to begin at somewhere other than the horizon.

Larry

This is exactly what I need too. This horizon leveling was actually a reason why I sold my Mavic Pro and got the Mavic Air (which, how it turns out, has the same problem). I'm mostly talking pano shots and this is pretty big problem for me. Thinking about getting back to Spark since I never had a single problem with it regarding panoramic shots. Camera quality seems to be worse than Air but honestly I wasn't able to take any decent picture with Air in a week of usage.
2019-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

cjr888 Posted at 2-9 13:43
Hello Stephen, currently I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0. Just in case you'd ask, I'm using the latest GO4 app version from the Google Play store and latest firmware in the aircraft and remote controller. I've been testing the pano mode behavior today and discovered that downwards shooting actually works but only in the vertical panorama (three shots in a column). There the camera takes one shot straight down, then one  above it and then the aircraft turns around 180 degrees and the camera takes the final shot from behind. I need this to be functional for the horizontal panorama (one shot straight down and the other 8 composed around by rotating the aircraft. That's how the Spark does it for example).

Thank you for the update cjr888. Have you tried to use a different mobile device that is recommended for your DJI Mavic Air? Upon checking the mobile device that you are using  Samsung S8. I am sorry to say that the mobile device that you are using is still not recommended for your DJI Mavic Air. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Samsung S8 will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the DJI Go 4 application and with the DJI Mavic Air if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

2019-2-9
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

cjr888 Posted at 2-9 13:49
This is exactly what I need too. This horizon leveling was actually a reason why I sold my Mavic Pro and got the Mavic Air (which, how it turns out, has the same problem). I'm mostly talking pano shots and this is pretty big problem for me. Thinking about getting back to Spark since I never had a single problem with it regarding panoramic shots. Camera quality seems to be worse than Air but honestly I wasn't able to take any decent picture with Air in a week of usage.

I havent noticed any issue with my camera, perhaps if you posted a photo you could point out what you notice isnt as good?
2019-2-9
Use props
cjr888
lvl.4
  • >>>
Czechia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-9 13:54
Thank you for the update cjr888. Have you tried to use a different mobile device that is recommended for your DJI Mavic Air? Upon checking the mobile device that you are using  Samsung S8. I am sorry to say that the mobile device that you are using is still not recommended for your DJI Mavic Air. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Samsung S8 will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the DJI Go 4 application and with the DJI Mavic Air if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

[view_image]

I can test it with a Huawei Mediapad tablet too. It isn't listed as well but it runs the GO4 app without any problems. Didn't try it with the Mavic Air yet so I will give it a try.
2019-2-9
Use props
cjr888
lvl.4
  • >>>
Czechia

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-9 14:13
I havent noticed any issue with my camera, perhaps if you posted a photo you could point out what you notice isnt as good?

In the second post is a YouTube link with the screen recording of what I'm trying to describe. It's not a problem with the picture quality itself but with the behavior of automatic pano mode.
2019-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

cjr888 Posted at 2-9 22:22
I can test it with a Huawei Mediapad tablet too. It isn't listed as well but it runs the GO4 app without any problems. Didn't try it with the Mavic Air yet so I will give it a try.

Thank you for the additional information you have provided us today cjr888 and thank you for your support.
2019-2-10
Use props
fans590d04c1
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am experiencing the exact same challenge.  No matter what angle I set the camera, as soon as I activate the panorama photo it adjusts the camera to take the first image level with the horizon.  Please can someone provide some guidance on how to overcome this issue.  (MAVIC PRO 2)
2019-2-26
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

You cannot change this, this is how it is suppossed to work.

What you can do is shoot a full sphere of panaorama photo's in RAW and combine them (the ones  you like) using lightroom ore some other pano tool. I always create panorama's like this and you get MUCH higher quality photo's out of it. Up to 200mPixel pano's

2019-2-28
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

Tadango Posted at 2-28 01:18
You cannot change this, this is how it is suppossed to work.

What you can do is shoot a full sphere of panaorama photo's in RAW and combine them (the ones  you like) using lightroom ore some other pano tool. I always create panorama's like this and you get MUCH higher quality photo's out of it. Up to 200mPixel pano's

I'm fairly sure you're correct, this is the way my Mavic Air has taken panoramas from Day One.

I like your idea of taking a spherical panorama and later choosing the segments to combine. I always shoot in RAW+JPEG and use Lightroom and/or Photoshop to process my images anyway (using the RAW files), and a spherical panorama will give me the frames I want to combine.

Larry
2019-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules