Best Tracking Device ??
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spectrum_dynami
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68389 ft

United States

Hello,

I would like to  add a separate tracking device to my P3P in the unlikely event of a Fly Away. I  looked at the  Marco Polo pet tracker suggested by someoneon the DJI forum.  My question , Is anyone actually using such a device or maybe have a better idea for a good tracker. The Marco Polo tracking system specs. look  goodand it's reasonably priced however, who really knows until you get one and actually put it to use.  I'm open to any suggestion.

2015-6-5
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

I have the Trackimo.  Easy setup, reasonable cost, and good app support.  
2015-6-5
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I too ordered the Trackimo after reading these boards and reviews on other sites. The Trackimo is due to get here today.
2015-6-6
Use props
iSkyShots
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232566 ft
Puerto Rico

XGPS Portable Mini GPS Tracker TK109B Fashionable Waterproof GSM GPS. Sold by Amazon. Great price, works very well after you search online for instructions because the ones it comes with are worthless.
2015-6-6
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a comprehensive list of trackers for the Phantom:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#TrackersP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-6
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-6-6 19:54
I too ordered the Trackimo after reading these boards and reviews on other sites. The Trackimo is du ...

hi,
exactly where did u attach the trackimo on the phantom and how? thanks
2015-7-12
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

iSkyShots Posted at 2015-6-6 22:06
XGPS Portable Mini GPS Tracker TK109B Fashionable Waterproof GSM GPS. Sold by Amazon. Great price, w ...

hi,
2015-7-12
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Trackimo for sure !!
2015-7-12
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I mounted it to a gimbal/camera guard I installed.
2015-7-12
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

There is this holder. I believe the guy is in Israel so shipping takes a while to get to the States.
I emailed him a question a few days ago and still no reply. Doesn't make me feel confident in ordering from him.
http://www.gimbal-guard.com/#!phantom-3-accessories/c2hc
2015-7-12
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I decided to go cheap on the GPS tracker mainly because I'm getting the MarcoPolo device but wanted the added layer of Phantom protection offered by GPS tracking.

I opted for the $40 TK109B

Except for the sleep function not working properly (it sometimes would not wake up), it seems to do GPS tracking superbly.I simply sent a command to the device to turn OFF sleep mode.  Since then it seems to work well.
All I have to do is call the device's phone numbe and usually within 10 - 15 seconds I get a text message with the GPS coordinates and other information all nicely linked to Google Maps so in about 30 seconds I can see on my cell phone where the GPS tracker is.    I didn't like the fact that Trackimo forces you to use their website to track your device.   
I don't use the service so I don't know where the servers are but China is a good WAG.   Being tied to a server in China is not ideal imo.

The TK109B acts exactly like a phone and responds to your call with a text.   Very efficient.  Response times are only limited by the Mobile network and I use AT&T so it's very reliable and nationwide.  So far the TK109 has been as reliable as any phone system exhanging texts between phones on a reliable network.

All in all, I would choose the TK109B OVER the Trackimo.   It's just a less cumbersome and more private GPS tracking method imo.
With Trackimo, ALL your flight history is saved on someone else's server.  Undecided if that's a plus or minus but I certainly don't need that.

Probably the only concern I have is "How long it lasts".   If I get a year out of it I will be satisfied.  At $40 I can buy 4.5 of them for the cost of a Trackimo.

I seem to get about 48 hours out of the battery with fairly heavy use (frequent requests.)

Once I attach it to the Phantom, it will only be on during flight so I will have at least 2 days to track it.  Should be more than enough.

Fairly impressed with the device so far.   Time will tell if it was worththe $40

2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-7-13 01:46
hi,

i got this from trackimo site!!!!

What does "plain view" or "clear view" of the sky mean?
Your Trackimo device needs to have a clear view of the sky so that the satellite signals can be received. “Clear View of the sky” means that the device needs to have an open line of sight to the GPS satellites in the sky. GPS was developed for shipping, aircraft and launch vehicles, which have an unobstructed view of the sky.

GPS satellites are in constant motion, rising and setting. In a given 2 hour time window, four satellites may rise and set over the horizon. This means that a satellite fix that was obtainable fifteen minutes ago in a location may not be obtainable in the next try.

The best location to get a satellite fix is on an open road. Roads provide a clear line of sight in the direction of the road, and often the buildings and trees are set back sufficiently that there is good visibility side to side. This is the ideal device location in order to get the initial fix or location for your device
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-7-13 01:46
hi,

velcro, strategically cut out to expose VPS (in the event you choose to fly in doors)….it will never fall off and is the lightest possible set up
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 11:12
velcro, strategically cut out to expose VPS (in the event you choose to fly in doors)….it will nev ...

but according to trackimo, it needs clear line of sight to the sky, so how does it work under the p3? obviously it is working i understand but....
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:15
but according to trackimo, it needs clear line of sight to the sky, so how does it work under the  ...

What does Trackimo know??? The bird is top heavy, if it crashes it will undoubted rest on anything other than the landing gear   lol
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:15
but according to trackimo, it needs clear line of sight to the sky, so how does it work under the  ...

I don't care if it doesn't work when in flight
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 11:23
I don't care if it doesn't work when in flight

thats funny but true. so then it doesnt work while in flight, right?
and if p3 is lost, then the only way trackimo or any other tracking device would be useful is for our beloved greased rock to fall with legs up in the air in such a way that it has clear line to the sky??
this image just brought something to mind but cant say it here for the sake of under aged!!!

2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:28
thats funny but true. so then it doesnt work while in flight, right?
and if p3 is lost, then the o ...

Had I thought of it's most probable likelihood of being rendered useless because of foliage or clouds I would have not purchased. It does work most times in flight but the with any slight added interference I doubt it……..I haven't done any testing.
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 11:37
Had I thought of it's most probable likelihood of being rendered useless because of foliage or clo ...

legs up………..of course, I was laughing, figured it was deliberate
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 11:37
Had I thought of it's most probable likelihood of being rendered useless because of foliage or clo ...

comeon u knew it probably wouldnt work in the unfortunate case that it is needed, you just wanted it for feeling safer, right???
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:39
comeon u knew it probably wouldnt work in the unfortunate case that it is needed, you just wanted  ...

Yes. With all the fear mongering here about no-fault fly aways and umm no-fault (lol) crashes. But I ail most likely shelve it. My P3Ps using App 1.1.2, FW 1.1.9 on one and 1.2.6 on the other are issue free…..except when "You can't fix stupid" comes into play   haha
2015-8-18
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:39
comeon u knew it probably wouldnt work in the unfortunate case that it is needed, you just wanted  ...

Trackimo works really well  on p3 and runs off cell towers and gps.    It is exceptionally accurate also.  More so then the pet collars that I have tried in the past with my cat.   The gimbal guard guy from israel sells the mounts for the p3 and they work great.  It takes about 2 weeks to get the mount from him through snail mail.  I have researched the heck out of gps tracking units lately for my cat and the p3.  Trackimo is one of the best for the p3 and I ended up with a loc8ter for the cat.  LOL
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 11:46
Yes. With all the fear mongering here about no-fault fly aways and umm no-fault (lol) crashes. But ...

sell it to licensed pilot, he is looking for one
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-8-19 11:48
Trackimo works really well  on p3 and runs off cell towers and gps.    It is exceptionally accurat ...

well i hope you all never need to use the trackimo, its like having good insurance and never wanting to use it!! and if it gives one a peace of mind for $5/month, 1st year being free, then why not!!
i just hope it does not interfere with your compass which is in the right rear leg at the bottom under the cover with 2 little screws!! it shouldnt
2015-8-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 11:53
sell it to licensed pilot, he is looking for one

thinking about inconspicuously mounting to my ATV as my last one was stolen and has not been recovered…..hmmm didn't really read the material fully, it triangulates per cell towers, maybe that is why it appeas to work and not because of the copper reflecter I fabricated
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-19 12:09
thinking about inconspicuously mounting to my ATV as my last one was stolen and has not been recove ...

oh thats even funnier, yes it does bounce off of towers, thats the only reason it would work stuck under the dodo bird's fat gut!!
2015-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules