Drone for beginners - Mavic Pro or Mavic Air?
123Next >
3510 88 2019-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Jannistmb Posted at 2-10 15:33
MP in urban areas without any issues i have tried everywhere i never had croppy image transimission always you have solid signal without any fear but with the mavic air i have issues in urban areas even in no urban thats the truth sadly is wifi what you can excpect?Is the same with the Parrot Drones the range sucks.So for me go with the mavic 2 pro its much better from the first one better camera sensors everywhere.

Ok, thank you a lot! I can´t really go with MP2 right now, because of budget, so that is why I´m asking if MA is better or MP is better, because these two I could rather afford than MP2. But thank you for your tips
2019-2-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-10 15:51
Ok, thank you a lot! I can´t really go with MP2 right now, because of budget, so that is why I´m asking if MA is better or MP is better, because these two I could rather afford than MP2. But thank you for your tips

Hbdelfin: Hi,
I spent nearly 15mins reading the entire thread of yours and frankly it felt to me  that somewhere in your heart you want mavic air for its portability, newer tech BUT  your brain is saying mavic pro for its occusync. Sorry but at one point, i got bored of reading this same line again and again -" I dont want to fly longer distance. Iam worried about MA wifi. I dont have budget. I like Mavic pro but its old."

Few weeks back i too went with the same dilemma, and asked the same question to this forum. I too got the same comments that you got and it confused me even more. And later i settled down with MA.

Both drones are great ones. They both have their adv and disadv. If you keep asking people, you will be more confused. Take the decision based on your choices and preferences.

MA is newer than MP. Mavic pro is a 2016 model and i doubt whether the hardware spares support will be there for a longer time. So incase your crashed the MP, the most weak part of it is the Gimbal. While MA gimbal is protected by the side walls as per its improved design. Moreover the parts of MA are slightly cheaper than the MP's. My MA crashed mid flight from very high altitude (almost 100 ft above a mountain, still it has got no scratches, no damages. Its a strong built drone in a smaller body. Winner - MA

Secondly, if you are planning to fly within VLOS then Wifi will not dissapoint you. BUT yes you should know and learn how to and where to fly your drone. I did the mistake and lost my old MA but later luckily found it too ;) but lesson is learnt. Read manual repeatedly, fly frequently and practice more and more. Because without practice and experience, you still can lose MP with all its Occusync tech.
Winner - MA

Thirdly, MA is very light and portable, you will love it when taking it on your trips. Winner - MA

Fourthly, always keep the low battery alarm set for 30-40 % when you are flying your MA initially. So RTH when the battery alerts low battery alarm and then switch your battery to a new one and fly again. I got a Fly more combo so i have multiple batteries. This helps me to fly it safely and for longer time.
I agree that MP has got longer battery, but if you follow certain guidelines and rules, then MA will not disappoint you. Winner - MA

Fifth, the 2nd hand MP which you are getting may have got a used and old battery. And battery is the most crucial part of the drone. I would always prefer to go with a new unused good battery than going with a old used battery as they might run short of life. Winner - MA

Conclusion: Take it from a person who had the same confusion - Go with MA. As for me camera quality, portability and newer tech is more important. If you still got confusion, then close your eyes and pick the one which your heart likes. Because in this way asking others, you will never get a definitive answer to clear your confusion as both the drones you are comparing are indeed great drones and there cant be a single winner out of these.

Happy Flying and Happier Landings...
2019-2-10
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-10 15:51

I spent nearly 15mins reading the entire thread of yours and frankly it felt to me  that somewhere in your heart you want mavic air for its portability, newer tech BUT  your brain is saying mavic pro for its occusync. Sorry but at one point, i got bored of reading this same line again and again -" I dont want to fly longer distance. Iam worried about MA wifi. I dont have budget. I like Mavic pro but its old."

Few weeks back i too went with the same dilemma, and asked the same question to this forum. I too got the same comments that you got and it confused me even more. And later i settled down with MA.

Both drones are great ones. They both have their adv and disadv. If you keep asking people, you will be more confused. Take the decision based on your choices and preferences.

MA is newer than MP. Mavic pro is a 2016 model and i doubt whether the hardware spares support will be there for a longer time. So incase your crashed the MP, the most weak part of it is the Gimbal. While MA gimbal is protected by the side walls as per its improved design. Moreover the parts of MA are slightly cheaper than the MP's. My MA crashed mid flight from very high altitude (almost 100 ft above a mountain, still it has got no scratches, no damages. Its a strong built drone in a smaller body. Winner - MA

Secondly, if you are planning to fly within VLOS then Wifi will not dissapoint you. BUT yes you should know and learn how to and where to fly your drone. I did the mistake and lost my old MA but later luckily found it too ;) but lesson is learnt. Read manual repeatedly, fly frequently and practice more and more. Because without practice and experience, you still can lose MP with all its Occusync tech.
Winner - MA

Thirdly, MA is very light and portable, you will love it when taking it on your trips. Winner - MA

Fourthly, always keep the low battery alarm set for 30-40 % when you are flying your MA initially. So RTH when the battery alerts low battery alarm and then switch your battery to a new one and fly again. I got a Fly more combo so i have multiple batteries. This helps me to fly it safely and for longer time.
I agree that MP has got longer battery, but if you follow certain guidelines and rules, then MA will not disappoint you. Winner - MA

Fifth, the 2nd hand MP which you are getting may have got a used and old battery. And battery is the most crucial part of the drone. I would always prefer to go with a new unused good battery than going with a old used battery as they might run short of life. Winner - MA

Conclusion: Take it from a person who had the same confusion - Go with MA. As for me camera quality, portability and newer tech is more important. If you still got confusion, then close your eyes and pick the one which your heart likes. Because in this way asking others, you will never get a definitive answer to clear your confusion as both the drones you are comparing are indeed great drones and there cant be a single winner out of these.

Happy Flying and Happier Landings...
2019-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-10 14:42
Thank you a lot! These reviews really help me a lot! I was considering also getting a refurbished or used MP already because of the price, but was also thinking about getting Mavic Air.  Anyway, really thank you for this review. I heard that camera on MA is better and also the video is better, I really like the QuickShots as well on Mavic Air, but I could see it is also on MP now. So yes, I´m still thinking and trying to collect as many stories and reviews as possible, so I get an idea. But it is changing day by day, one day it is a MP, another day I´m almost convinced to get MA. But thank you.

Yes, always hard to choose.
From what I have seen, the camera on the MP is a little better.
Only drawback is limited bitrate, but overall the video's I see from MP have a bit better video quality.
Might be because of the operator of course
2019-2-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-10 12:19
Thank you a lot! My only worry why I´m not really excited about the MA is because of the WiFi connection. I simply heard that it is really terrible, especially in the cities and places with a lot of other wifi connections or drones around you and it can really mess you up. and the flying experience because you can loose the video signal, the video can be really choppy and getting frozen very easily and also you wont be able to see for a while what the drone is seeing...what I would really regret.

I had a lot of Wi Fi problems with the 0.400 firmware, but honestly, with the latest updates, NO problems. I fly in the city, heavily populated, with NO connection problems.

Just to ease your mind if you DO plan to get the Air. Rock stable since the update.
2019-2-11
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-10 12:21
If you are really on a budget, put money towards Mavic Air.  Since this is your first drone, and you can't afford to buy a replacement, use some of money saved to take out DJI Care Refresh.

Whatever bird you decide to buy.  

This is sage advice!

Especially...

"Realize, all Intelligent object avoidance claims is marketing.  The bird's do their best, but best isn't all it is hyped up to be."

...and I would add, bird's do their best when the person flying is educated and aware.

Whatever you choose, have fun flying!
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

TechVoyager Posted at 2-10 23:05
I spent nearly 15mins reading the entire thread of yours and frankly it felt to me  that somewhere in your heart you want mavic air for its portability, newer tech BUT  your brain is saying mavic pro for its occusync. Sorry but at one point, i got bored of reading this same line again and again -" I dont want to fly longer distance. Iam worried about MA wifi. I dont have budget. I like Mavic pro but its old."

Thank you so much for all your long reply! Yes, I´m really into MA, but just I miss the Ocusync there somehow and that is what makes me consider MP over MA. But thank you a lot, I guess I will go with MA, because it is probably better choice for me now. THank you again
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-10 23:07
From what I have seen, the camera on the MP is a little better.
Only drawback is limited bitrate, but overall the video's I see from MP have a bit better video quality.

Thank you
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Charissa Posted at 2-11 02:16
I had a lot of Wi Fi problems with the 0.400 firmware, but honestly, with the latest updates, NO problems. I fly in the city, heavily populated, with NO connection problems.

Just to ease your mind if you DO plan to get the Air. Rock stable since the update.

Really? Then this is a different story, because I hear only the opposite. So yes, I´m somehow convinced getting MA now, so let´s see if I stay with this decision and won´t end up with MP in the end haha.
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-11 08:34
This is sage advice!

Especially...

I definitely know that there is a lot of marketing involved and it also really depends on the person flying with it. I´m already learning to fly with drones somehow, my friends own Mavic Pro, DJI Spark, Mavic Air or Phantom series, so I get to try to fly with them here and there,  but not that often or too far away. So I get some knowledge but of course I´m planning to learn more. Thank you!
2019-2-11
Use props
djiuser_c1jzHerDJYTb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223776 ft
United Kingdom

i have mavic air
2019-2-11
Use props
djiuser_c1jzHerDJYTb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223776 ft
United Kingdom

I have mavic air
2019-2-11
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Go with the Mavic Air. It has obstacle avoidance, smart capture, and it is smaller, making it easier to carry. For me the camera quality, portability, and small size sold me. Invest a little more and get the more modern, stable, and powerful Air.
2019-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2019-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-11 12:37
Really? Then this is a different story, because I hear only the opposite. So yes, I´m somehow convinced getting MA now, so let´s see if I stay with this decision and won´t end up with MP in the end haha.

Hahahahahahahaha.
As I said, both are great drones.
You won't miss with either one.
And you will adapt to work around the shortcomings.
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

J AV10 Posted at 2-11 13:56
Go with the Mavic Air. It has obstacle avoidance, smart capture, and it is smaller, making it easier to carry. For me the camera quality, portability, and small size sold me. Invest a little more and get the more modern, stable, and powerful Air.

Thank you, I guess I will go with Mavic Air. It will be probably enough for the beginnings.
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-11 14:21
Hahahahahahahaha.
As I said, both are great drones.
You won't miss with either one.

Hahah, yes, I´m just so indecisive, one minute I´m sure I´m getting MA and another minute I´m almost ordering MP. MP holds me because of the Ocusync and signal stability, while MA because of the size, portability and also camera. So yes, still changing the opinions. Also just saw on the Amazon that MP is getting already cheaper in combo than MA combo, so that also makes me a bit consider to buy MP, haha. Anyway, thank you a lot. I will think about it well in the following days
2019-2-11
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1743622 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2-10 23:07
From what I have seen, the camera on the MP is a little better.

Having had both at the same time, I can't agree. Video quality and colours on my MA are much better than the MP. Specifically, colours were washed out and picture was quite grainy. In term of photographs/stills, the MP seemed slightly better.
2019-2-11
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Another difference that I just realised between the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air is the controller.

I compared notes with my neighbour, he owns a Mavic Air and he asked why he did not have a readout on his controller?

I told him that I never had to rely on it yet but it might come in handy if my screen disconnected due to a tablet issue (never had one in 12 months and do not plan to either)

One day when we find the time and the weather is nice we plan to fly together and take videos of each other's aircraft during a flight, so that was a nice outcome!
2019-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-11 15:01
Hahah, yes, I´m just so indecisive, one minute I´m sure I´m getting MA and another minute I´m almost ordering MP. MP holds me because of the Ocusync and signal stability, while MA because of the size, portability and also camera. So yes, still changing the opinions. Also just saw on the Amazon that MP is getting already cheaper in combo than MA combo, so that also makes me a bit consider to buy MP, haha. Anyway, thank you a lot. I will think about it well in the following days

Don't focus on specs too much.
In my opinion the MP has a better lens (judging by comparison video's)
But I won't try to make your choice even harder.
Have you had either one of them in your hand?
2019-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TedBob Posted at 2-11 19:43
Having had both at the same time, I can't agree. Video quality and colours on my MA are much better than the MP. Specifically, colours were washed out and picture was quite grainy. In term of photographs/stills, the MP seemed slightly better.

I only had the MP,  but so far I really like the output.
I must agree it does need some post processing, but due to the dull output you have enough room for corrections.
2019-2-11
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-11 23:25
Don't focus on specs too much.
In my opinion the MP has a better lens (judging by comparison video's)
But I won't try to make your choice even harder.

Yes, I had a chance to try MP as one of my friends owns it and flies with it quite often around and he let me try it too and I really enjoyed that (that is where my desire to get a drone started haha), I haven´t really tried MA, I know one my friend has it and she loves that, so she was flying with it around, but I haven´t been able to really try it. I got to hold it in my hands and see it flying around, but not control it.
2019-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-11 23:35
Yes, I had a chance to try MP as one of my friends owns it and flies with it quite often around and he let me try it too and I really enjoyed that (that is where my desire to get a drone started haha), I haven´t really tried MA, I know one my friend has it and she loves that, so she was flying with it around, but I haven´t been able to really try it. I got to hold it in my hands and see it flying around, but not control it.

If you can, ask both to send some RAW footage and see how you like both outputs yourself.
Neither will be perfect, but I have had a close look on a lot of MA and MP footage before buying via some forum members (they sent raw files) and I found the MP to give a more pleasing output.
Far less distortion and soft corners.
The only drawback was some 'smearing' in the obvious area's (due to a lower bitrate)
But I guess all DJI drones have their drawbacks in some areas.
Getting a little better (and more expensive) with each new version
2019-2-12
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-12 00:04
If you can, ask both to send some RAW footage and see how you like both outputs yourself.
Neither will be perfect, but I have had a close look on a lot of MA and MP footage before buying via some forum members (they sent raw files) and I found the MP to give a more pleasing output.
Far less distortion and soft corners.

I like the video more from MA than MP, but the photo seems to be a bit more better for me from MP than MA. I also really like the option that MP has - it can make really nice vertical photos, while MA looks a bit weird when it tries doing vertical photos. Ah, the decision is really tough. Both have pros and cons, one is older and one is newer, one has Ocusync, one wifi...well, i guess it will be still tough decision. Someone told me that because Mavic Pro is older it might have some problems in future because of the software and other things, but I dont know what to think about it as I’m also using iPhone 6, older canon and still work perfectly. I was checking amazon just yesterday and found out that MP combo is same or very similar price to MA combo, so this just changed my mind a bit about going for “cheaper” MA, but yes, I would like to take drone more for Photography so Mavic Pro would be probably better choice, but lets see. I still have time to decide. Thanks
2019-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-12 04:51
I like the video more from MA than MP, but the photo seems to be a bit more better for me from MP than MA. I also really like the option that MP has - it can make really nice vertical photos, while MA looks a bit weird when it tries doing vertical photos. Ah, the decision is really tough. Both have pros and cons, one is older and one is newer, one has Ocusync, one wifi...well, i guess it will be still tough decision. Someone told me that because Mavic Pro is older it might have some problems in future because of the software and other things, but I dont know what to think about it as I’m also using iPhone 6, older canon and still work perfectly. I was checking amazon just yesterday and found out that MP combo is same or very similar price to MA combo, so this just changed my mind a bit about going for “cheaper” MA, but yes, I would like to take drone more for Photography so Mavic Pro would be probably better choice, but lets see. I still have time to decide. Thanks

Never ending internal doubt.
Neither drone is perfect.
Get one and don't look back.

I would not worry about the tech.
Both drones operate via the Go4 app. So as long as that is supported, both are supported.
Before you lose that support, your drone will probably be worn out.
And if you keep an old iOS phone, you can still use that.
2019-2-12
Use props
Climbnride58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67736 ft
United States

One thing you will want to do is buy some camera filters, no matter which drone you end up getting.
2019-2-12
Use props
medbest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15702 ft
United States

Hey, I would recommend a Mavic Pro or pro 2. I have the Mavic Air and the range is terrible.
2019-2-12
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-12 05:33
Never ending internal doubt.
Neither drone is perfect.
Get one and don't look back.

That is true - thanks a lot. I guess that I just end up with the one that will be cheaper for me. Be it MP or MA, because the prices now are literally same on amazon. So thank you.
2019-2-13
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

medbest Posted at 2-12 20:52
Hey, I would recommend a Mavic Pro or pro 2. I have the Mavic Air and the range is terrible.

How much terrible? If it’s max 1-2 kilometers, I’m completely okay with it as we are not allowed to fly more than VLOS here in my country - and i don’t really want to loose my drone or break the laws. So if I get MP or MA, I will just stick both to max 2km. But if you mean just a few meters...
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-10 12:21
I have made the exact same choice a year ago and went for a second hand MP Fly More Combo.
First drone, so I did not really know how much I was going to use it.
Why I chose the MP over the MA?

I like your reasoning.... the only problem of Mavic Pro over MA is portability. Anything else is on Mavic Pro side especially given the fact there is a lot of used ones on the market so mint condition one can be found pretty easily.
2019-2-13
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Honestly, any one of them would be better than what you have now, which is none of them. Just get one, and then learn how to fly and use it properly. Only way for you to actually know which of the two is doing what.
2019-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 03:08
I like your reasoning.... the only problem of Mavic Pro over MA is portability. Anything else is on Mavic Pro side especially given the fact there is a lot of used ones on the market so mint condition one can be found pretty easily.

That is a total non issue for me.
I carry my DSLR + 4 primes around my neck for a whole day.
The 700gr or so of the MP is nothing
2019-2-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-13 02:29
That is true - thanks a lot. I guess that I just end up with the one that will be cheaper for me. Be it MP or MA, because the prices now are literally same on amazon. So thank you.

Very true!
2019-2-13
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-11 15:01
Hahah, yes, I´m just so indecisive, one minute I´m sure I´m getting MA and another minute I´m almost ordering MP. MP holds me because of the Ocusync and signal stability, while MA because of the size, portability and also camera. So yes, still changing the opinions. Also just saw on the Amazon that MP is getting already cheaper in combo than MA combo, so that also makes me a bit consider to buy MP, haha. Anyway, thank you a lot. I will think about it well in the following days

It was a hard choice for me too. I had the exact same thing going on with me too, MP vs MA. It's a hard choice. Keep in mind that the MA is smaller, making it tougher on crashes. I have wrecked mine into bushes and myself before, worst damage was a broken prop. Also, the MA is capable of 45 mph, I have reached 40 so far, it's super fun.
2019-2-13
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-13 02:31
How much terrible? If it’s max 1-2 kilometers, I’m completely okay with it as we are not allowed to fly more than VLOS here in my country - and i don’t really want to loose my drone or break the laws. So if I get MP or MA, I will just stick both to max 2km. But if you mean just a few meters...

I am not sure if you have realised, but you won't see a drone the size of a Mavic Air once it's 100 m away from you. Once it's further away, you will need to look at the map or video feed to figure out where it is.

If you are really going to comply with the VLOS requirement, then range is really not an issue.
2019-2-13
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 03:08
I like your reasoning.... the only problem of Mavic Pro over MA is portability. Anything else is on Mavic Pro side especially given the fact there is a lot of used ones on the market so mint condition one can be found pretty easily.

I would disagree: Mavic Pro has quite a few problems compared to Mavic Air, such as a fragile gimbal, horizon likely not to be...well, horizontal, washed out colours, need to focus picture etc.
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

TedBob Posted at 2-13 21:20
I would disagree: Mavic Pro has quite a few problems compared to Mavic Air, such as a fragile gimbal, horizon likely not to be...well, horizontal, washed out colours, need to focus picture etc.

Hmmm.... never had any issues with gimbal.... horizon.... maaaaybe a little bit... easily fixable in post... washed out colors... definitely not... I for one actually prefer flat color profile so dynamic range is kept as much as possible which gives more possibilities in postprocessing.
2019-2-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

TedBob Posted at 2-13 21:17
I am not sure if you have realised, but you won't see a drone the size of a Mavic Air once it's 100 m away from you. Once it's further away, you will need to look at the map or video feed to figure out where it is.

If you are really going to comply with the VLOS requirement, then range is really not an issue.

100m.... hmm... more like 300m. I can easily spot even Spark from that distance and some 50m in the air so distance is actually a bit farther... and no, no longer having perfect 20/20 vision as I once had ...
At night, with the help of LEDs even 500m is EZPZ... for average vision that is.
2019-2-14
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

Charissa Posted at 2-13 03:57
Honestly, any one of them would be better than what you have now, which is none of them. Just get one, and then learn how to fly and use it properly. Only way for you to actually know which of the two is doing what.

thank you
2019-2-14
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

J AV10 Posted at 2-13 13:57
It was a hard choice for me too. I had the exact same thing going on with me too, MP vs MA. It's a hard choice. Keep in mind that the MA is smaller, making it tougher on crashes. I have wrecked mine into bushes and myself before, worst damage was a broken prop. Also, the MA is capable of 45 mph, I have reached 40 so far, it's super fun.

thanks a lot! i still have some time to think about it, but i will see what i will choose haha
2019-2-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules