Drone for beginners - Mavic Pro or Mavic Air?
3502 88 2019-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

TedBob Posted at 2-13 21:17
I am not sure if you have realised, but you won't see a drone the size of a Mavic Air once it's 100 m away from you. Once it's further away, you will need to look at the map or video feed to figure out where it is.

If you are really going to comply with the VLOS requirement, then range is really not an issue.

that is true, i have thought about it and yes, i dont really plan to fly too far away from me, at least not here in my country or in europe, since the laws here are quite strict about it
2019-2-14
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hbdelfin Posted at 2-14 03:38
that is true, i have thought about it and yes, i dont really plan to fly too far away from me, at least not here in my country or in europe, since the laws here are quite strict about it

so finally you bought or not? If yes, then which one? Just curious. One update- in case of MA,i noticed that if we use phone charging cables to connect to the phone and remote, (instead of DJI supplied cables) then the reception is quite strong. I never faced video communication failures.
2019-2-17
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1743622 ft
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-14 00:07
100m.... hmm... more like 300m. I can easily spot even Spark from that distance and some 50m in the air so distance is actually a bit farther... and no, no longer having perfect 20/20 vision as I once had ...
At night, with the help of LEDs even 500m is EZPZ... for average vision that is.

You have kinda missed the point. If you have a requirement to keep the drone in VLOS, you don't need something with a range a few kilometers....

And no, I cannot see my MA when it's 300m away, and probably not when it's 100m away. Even looking at the remote/map, I can struggle to see where it is precisely.
2019-2-19
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

TedBob Posted at 2-19 13:40
You have kinda missed the point. If you have a requirement to keep the drone in VLOS, you don't need something with a range a few kilometers....

And no, I cannot see my MA when it's 300m away, and probably not when it's 100m away. Even looking at the remote/map, I can struggle to see where it is precisely.

Well, if something has longer range that also means that at shorter range it has more robust/reliable link.
2019-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've owned all the Mavic's and each one offers something the others don't - choosing between the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Air is a very tough decision but, as a beginner drone, I'd recommend the Mavic Air for the superior gimbal and image improvements + the added features. You've been given some very sound advice throughout this thread and the next person to reply will be probably say the Mavic Pro and so it will continue. As others have said - make a decision for yourself now, buy it and don't look back.
2019-2-20
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

A CW Posted at 2-20 00:04
I've owned all the Mavic's and each one offers something the others don't - choosing between the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Air is a very tough decision but, as a beginner drone, I'd recommend the Mavic Air for the superior gimbal and image improvements + the added features. You've been given some very sound advice throughout this thread and the next person to reply will be probably say the Mavic Pro and so it will continue. As others have said - make a decision for yourself now, buy it and don't look back.

Listen to A CW, wisest advise.... you can always change your mind and search forever. I have MA, don't say  I didn't want Mavic Pro 2,  but I have Mavic Air- bought before MA2 was issued, and I am happy to fly with it.  I wouldn't say which to buy, you know what is your  need.  It seems to me MA is  decent for you, but you know your possibility. Decide, buy and fly.  
2019-2-20
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2-20 00:04
I've owned all the Mavic's and each one offers something the others don't - choosing between the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Air is a very tough decision but, as a beginner drone, I'd recommend the Mavic Air for the superior gimbal and image improvements + the added features. You've been given some very sound advice throughout this thread and the next person to reply will be probably say the Mavic Pro and so it will continue. As others have said - make a decision for yourself now, buy it and don't look back.

Good point there. I did that and I don't regret my purchase.
2019-2-20
Use props
Hbdelfin
lvl.2

Czechia

TechVoyager Posted at 2-17 23:01
so finally you bought or not? If yes, then which one? Just curious. One update- in case of MA,i noticed that if we use phone charging cables to connect to the phone and remote, (instead of DJI supplied cables) then the reception is quite strong. I never faced video communication failures.

Hello, I havent bought it yet, I need to wait until I get salary this month, so by the end of this month or April, I should have it.
So havent bought any yet, still deciding, prices for Mavic Pro dropped drastically and I can see being it sold for around $900-1000 in the stores here or used ones for $700-1000 by some people on-line. While Mavic Air costs around $1000-1200 in the stores and also used by other people. So this make me consider it more because it gets cheaper and being limited by budget it makes more favorable choice. So I’m still torn and deciding, my decision changes from day to day, but looks like I’m favoring Mavic Pro now more. I know it is older and bigger, but Ocusync, better range and battery life are probably more important for me. But lets see...i might decide for Mavic Air at the last minute haha.
2019-3-7
Use props
Alex1976
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

I would go with Mavic Air to begin. I have purchased it and i am very happy about my choice. Next step will be a Mavic 2 Pro. But i keep an eye to new EASA rules. Because with these new rules the Mavic 2 Pro is out of A1C1 category....so i will wait
2019-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules