Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

FYI!  Drone operators in dolphin research.
Fieldwork Internship with the Nova Atlantis Foundation.

The Nova Atlantis Foundation (www.nova-atlantis.org) is an NGO working on Pico Island, Azores.  We are preparing our 20th fieldwork season, dedicated to studying the social ecology of the Risso's dolphin.

Nova Atlantis Foundation is a Dutch research institute, based on Pico island (Azores, Portugal).  We aim to aid in the conservation of the coastal and pelagic waters of the Azores as Marine Protected Areas by providing data concerning cetacean ecology to stake holders like, local authorities, the scientific community, environmental NGO’s and through political lobby.  Key species of our ecological studies are the resident Risso’s dolphins.

On Pico, the Risso’s Dolphin Research Center of the Foundation is a meeting point where scientists and students can work on the research and conservation of cetaceans and the unique marine ecosystem of the Azores.

We are also seeking "biology students" to work in the field for the period  May to September (with possibly some extra weeks in April).  Candidates should preferably be available for at least 2 months.  We will collect data from several long-term followed and resident Risso's dolphin male pods, using a "drone" whenever possible.  Candidates who have experience with flying a drone (DJI) are welcome to apply as well.

The general fieldwork internship includes:

- An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean identification and data processing

- Sea-surveys and land based data collection

- Data processing

- Additional work e.g. boat cleaning and preparation, maintenance of the observation post and garden.

We are "not" looking for students who have a strong interest in taking photos and films, but we welcome interns who want to focus on recording behaviour of groups and individuals and who are intrinsically interested to learn about detailed behaviour of wild ranging cetaceans.

Interns must be self-motivated, with the drive and determination to work independently and responsibly, and with a true interest in marine conservation and animal behaviour.

We make long hours in the field and have few days off.  Fieldwork is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive long days of work at sea and from land.  On a typical field day, we split the team in a land crew and a sea crew and work in shifts allowing all to rotate and gain experience in several methodologies.  We use rough weather days for data entry, maintenance tasks or a day off.

The fieldwork internship requires a payment to cover running field work costs.

Expenses for travelling to and from the field worksite, accommodation and food are not included in this fee.  The Nova Atlantis Foundation offers accommodation in collaboration with a local family in Santa Cruz das Ribeiras (200 EUR per month, all inclusive- ex food).  Interns are free to find their own accommodation in the Ribeiras area as well.

A combination of fieldwork and data analysis is possible.

Application deadline is 15-03-2019.

To apply please send a short letter (state which period you prefer) and a short CV to: [url=]oceanwatch@gmail.com[/url]

--
Karin Hartman, PhD

Nova Atlantis Foundation
Risso's Dolphin Research Center
Rua Dr. Freitas Pimentel 11
9930-309 Santa Cruz dasRibeiras
Lajes do Pico
Azores -Portugal
www.nova-atlantis.org
Aloha and DroneOn!
2019-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ken, Are you flying drones for those dear folks now?

RedHotPoker
2019-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2-9 17:54
Ken, Are you flying drones for those dear folks now?

Aloha Chas,

I wish I was young enough and mobile enough to do so.  There are so many opportunities for the younger members of the Forum to do valuable research in the Cetacean arena.  Drones are such a natural fit.  Right off the top, Cetacean Research and Archaeology are research areas that are screaming for drone operators!  

If only I was born as my own child (or grandchild), then I would be in the right time!  And yes, I am jealous!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2-9 18:57
Aloha Chas,

I wish I was young enough and mobile enough to do so.  There are so many opportunities for the younger members of the Forum to do valuable research in the Cetacean arena.  Drones are such a natural fit.  Right off the top, Cetacean Research and Archaeology are research areas that are screaming for drone operators!  

I had “high” expectations from you. Haha

Oh well, maybe in the next life...

RedHotPoker
2019-2-9
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13216588 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks amazing! I have a degree in biological sciences, PADI certified diver, and been flying drones for about 3 years now. But I have a wife and child with one in the oven... probably not a good time!
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DallasDroneGuy Posted at 2-14 08:04
It looks amazing! I have a degree in biological sciences, PADI certified diver, and been flying drones for about 3 years now. But I have a wife and child with one in the oven... probably not a good time!

Aloha DDG,

There will be openings for years because UAVs are still a new tool.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules