1st Flight With Mavic Air - Comparison With DJI Spark Flying Low ...
419 22 2019-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Si_Co
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22936 ft
Australia

http://www.youtube.com/user/homecedo
2019-2-10
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great comparison, thanks for sharing!
2019-2-10
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Nice comparison, I prefer the footage from the Air as you can see a little motion blur, Trees, Grass. But that’s all down to personal preference. Thanks for sharing
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ShermanFlyer Posted at 2-10 05:03
Nice comparison, I prefer the footage from the Air as you can see a little motion blur, Trees, Grass. But that’s all down to personal preference. Thanks for sharing

why didn't you use auto settings on mavic air and compare it to auto on spark, also remove ND filter for better side by side comparison..    your white balance was off too.. if using custom settings, mine as well also used custom white balance..  
just suggesting this to be fair..  want to make it as apples ot apples as possible.
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cuz lower shutter speed... probably should been raised up a tad anyway..
2019-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Si_Co. Thank you for sharing this comparison video between the DJI Mavic Air and the DJI Spark. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video!
2019-2-10
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Hey Simon, I taking a wild guess but looking at those trees this must be 'downunder'   TBH with the MA way more expensive than the spark I find it hard to justify the price difference having seen this comparison, I thought the Spark footage was better actaully. Thanks for sharing.
2019-2-10
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

I was really impressed with the Spark’s lifelike footage.  It was my 1st ever flight with ND filters.  I don’t have any for the Spark but have a ND4, ND8 and an ND16 for the Mavic Air.  I need to experiment with FPS, Shutter Speed, ISO and White Balance now, especially with the ND Filters.  So much to learn now.  The Spark was so simple.
2019-2-10
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 05:25
why didn't you use auto settings on mavic air and compare it to auto on spark, also remove ND filter for better side by side comparison..    your white balance was off too.. if using custom settings, mine as well also used custom white balance..  
just suggesting this to be fair..  want to make it as apples ot apples as possible.

HereForTheBeer, it was meant to be a quick comparison between the MA and the Spark, including the difference between auto and ND Filters.  I didn’t get it right.  It was my 1st time with the MA and 1st time with ND Filters.  I must have got something else wrong cos the MA footage was very choppy/stuttery.  I don’t know what caused that.
2019-2-10
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 05:26
cuz lower shutter speed... probably should been raised up a tad anyway..

HereForTheBeer, thanks.  Any suggestions.  I used:
ISO - 100
Shutter Speed - 1/60
FPS - 30
White Balance - Cloudy
ND Filter - 16
Something didn’ quite work out.  Any help for a MA newbie would be much appreciated.
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Si_Co Posted at 2-10 22:11
HereForTheBeer, it was meant to be a quick comparison between the MA and the Spark, including the difference between auto and ND Filters.  I didn’t get it right.  It was my 1st time with the MA and 1st time with ND Filters.  I must have got something else wrong cos the MA footage was very choppy/stuttery.  I don’t know what caused that.

could be micro SD card wasn't fast enough..?  mavic air records at 100mbps
2019-2-10
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2-10 19:47
Hey Simon, I taking a wild guess but looking at those trees this must be 'downunder'   TBH with the MA way more expensive than the spark I find it hard to justify the price difference having seen this comparison, I thought the Spark footage was better actaully. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with what you’ve said.  The footage was taken in Athelstone, as suburb of Adelaide, South Australia.  I don’t have ND Filters for the Spark.  Like you I was more than impressed with the Spark’s footage.  I only bought the MA, after being a more than happy Spark owner for the last 11 months, cos a deal too good to refuse on the MA presented itself.
2019-2-10
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 22:14

Thanks HereForTheBeer, I’ll have to check that out.
2019-2-10
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Si_Co Posted at 2-10 22:15
I agree with what you’ve said.  The footage was taken in Athelstone, as suburb of Adelaide, South Australia.  I don’t have ND Filters for the Spark.  Like you I was more than impressed with the Spark’s footage.  I only bought the MA, after being a more than happy Spark owner for the last 11 months, cos a deal too good to refuse on the MA presented itself.

Hey mate,

Same thing happened to me, a MP presented itself to me for 1/2 price, fly more kit, filters... Could not resist... I think I still prefer the MA, but the battery life is so short it feels compared to the MP, I know technically it is, but it really feels like it too...
2019-2-10
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Mavic air is 100 times better than spark.
2019-2-11
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

tjalex Posted at 2-11 04:42
Mavic air is 100 times better than spark.

tjalex, i’m hoping that will be the case.  Still, the Spark is a fantastic little drone too.  I’m glad I started will the Spark (I actually started with a cheap KMart drone before that)
2019-2-11
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

Si_Co Posted at 2-10 22:17
Thanks HereForTheBeer, I’ll have to check that out.

HereForTheBeer, I’ve got 3 micro sd cards, all of which display a red “slow sd card” warning in settings when I insert them into the MA.  One is a Sandisk Ultra class 10, one of the others is a Verbatim Premium class 10.  You reckon that’d be the problem or would that just mean it’d transfer a bit slower.  A friend suggested that I do an “in-drone” formatting of the sd card, which I’ve done.
I shot this footage with the MA at 1080p, using the same sad card as I have done with the Spark for the last 11months, so I’m a bit perplexed as to why it’s so jerky.  Anyway, I’ll give it another bash one day this week, when the wind abates a bit.
2019-2-12
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 22:14

HereForTheBeer, I’ve got 3 micro sd cards, all of which display a red “slow sd card” warning in settings when I insert them into the MA.  One is a Sandisk Ultra class 10, one of the others is a Verbatim Premium class 10.  You reckon that’d be the problem or would that just mean it’d transfer a bit slower.  A friend suggested that I do an “in-drone” formatting of the sd card, which I’ve done.
I shot this footage with the MA at 1080p, using the same sad card as I have done with the Spark for the last 11months, so I’m a bit perplexed as to why it’s so jerky.  Anyway, I’ll give it another bash one day this week, when the wind abates a bit.
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Si_Co Posted at 2-12 00:46

if given a slow SD or slow write error that means the card isn't keeping up with the bit-rate the mavic air is writing at.    i suggest Samsung evo cards (100MB/Sec rated ones), you can pick up 128GB for like $30 (us dollars) or 256GB for $50 and i find them much more reliable than sandisk which can be super hit/miss

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M ... A-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M ... GA-AM/dp/B072HRDM55

2019-2-12
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-12 00:56
if given a slow SD or slow write error that means the card isn't keeping up with the bit-rate the mavic air is writing at.    i suggest Samsung evo cards (100MB/Sec rated ones), you can pick up 128GB for like $30 (us dollars) or 256GB for $50 and i find them much more reliable than sandisk which can be super hit/miss

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M ... A-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

Hey, HereForThe Beer, thanks for the quick response.  And that’d cause my jerky footage?
I’d better get me one of those then, hadn’t I?  Thanks.
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Si_Co Posted at 2-12 01:02
Hey, HereForThe Beer, thanks for the quick response.  And that’d cause my jerky footage?
I’d better get me one of those then, hadn’t I?  Thanks.

yea can cause stuttering and jerkiness,  specially if you also have slow SD card/slow write errors appearing..
i would also suggest trying auto mode and manually but increasing shutter speed to see how it preforms.  does it appear stuttery when vieiwing it directly out of SD card..?
2019-2-12
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-12 01:51
yea can cause stuttering and jerkiness,  specially if you also have slow SD card/slow write errors appearing..
i would also suggest trying auto mode and manually but increasing shutter speed to see how it preforms.  does it appear stuttery when vieiwing it directly out of SD card..?

I’ll get back to you on that.  I’m going to buy a new card tomorrow and do some tests.  Thanks HereForTheBeer
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules