Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the Osmo Pocket meet you expectations?
1595 18 2019-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I'm looking to get an idea if the Osmo pocket met your expectations in terms of photo/video performance and portabilty. The reason I ask is that I'm not entirely convinced enough to take the plunge and purchase. Excellent portability is probably a given which is why I'm particulay interested in the photo/video question. Feel free to comment if that's not the case or you need to elaborate on your selection? I look forward to seeing your responses.
Single SelectVote, Total 26 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

69.23% (18)
15.38% (4)
3.85% (1)
11.54% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Celsus. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this poll. I hope many will participate and you'll get the best answer for this poll here from our valued DJI Mambers and Customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-10
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got it as a travel cam and I used it for a month of constant travel right after release and you can see unedited video from my trip here (other than the normal YouTube compression). I did bring along my FZ1000 DMC for the trip but it stayed in the hotel rooms for the whole trip.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 2&extra=#pid1756909
2019-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have to say for me it’s been great and I truly take it everywhere, sometimes good filiming can supersede great video or great photography, composition and a bit of artistic flair along with a reasonable camera will be what creates great footage/photos, and the best way to achieve that is to practice.
Good luck ....
2019-2-10
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 2-10 11:32
I got it as a travel cam and I used it for a month of constant travel right after release and you can see unedited video from my trip here (other than the normal YouTube compression). I did bring along my FZ1000 DMC for the trip but it stayed in the hotel rooms for the whole trip.

I will check it out, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and footage.
2019-2-10
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 2-10 11:32

I will check it out, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and footage.
2019-2-10
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-10 11:45
I have to say for me it’s been great and I truly take it everywhere, sometimes good filiming can supersede great video or great photography, composition and a bit of artistic flair along with a reasonable camera will be what creates great footage/photos, and the best way to achieve that is to practice.
Good luck ....

I couldn't agree more. Thank you
2019-2-10
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Between my GoPro Session and the Pocket all my needs are met for a compact solution to on the go imaging.  I didn't reply because I rarely would use the description "Great" for a product (or a politician).  Great weather, great game, great friends, great sex.... nothing in a camera that comes to the level "great!"  :-)
2019-2-10
Use props
RobCass
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I voted but to be honest, I have never used the photo option as I use it strictly for video (Now I have to go out and shoot some photos (jpeg + RAW) and see how that does.).
As for the OSMO Pocket, I have been really happy with it (especially with the last firmware update). The quality of the footage is very good in my opinion and the gimbal is effective in minimizing the shakes/bouncing in walking video. Coming from mirrorless setup with a gimbal, this is a really nice change of pace since I can just carry the OP everywhere since the weight is next to nothing. I remember in fall last year that I was thinking while using my Spark drone that it would be nice to get the same video that the spark gives in something I carry...I bought OSMO Pocket day one of release as I have been looking for something that can go everywhere and provide stablized footage. I like that you can spontaneous be  filming in 6 seconds where my full mirrorless setup is more like two minutes (provided I even have it with me).
I am waiting for the extension rod accessory so that I can get the joystick option as well as the rechargable docks/case which I am hoping is coming in soon (maybe second quarter). The fact that the OP can be used while being charges is another benefit as I always have a portable charger that I can plug in if I run out of battery (which has only happened once in two months).
I would definitely recommended the OSMO pocket if you want a very good pocketable device you can carry everywhere. When I purchase mine, I was surprised when they handed me the box and it was soo small and then the device was smaller still.
One other note is that you will (for daylight) need to get a set of ND filter to keep the shutter speed down and get more pleasing video (lower shutter speed).

2019-2-10
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 2-10 20:29
Between my GoPro Session and the Pocket all my needs are met for a compact solution to on the go imaging.  I didn't reply because I rarely would use the description "Great" for a product (or a politician).  Great weather, great game, great friends, great sex.... nothing in a camera that comes to the level "great!"  :-)

An interesting perspective on great! I appreciate the feedback and the comments
2019-2-10
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RobCass Posted at 2-10 20:29
I voted but to be honest, I have never used the photo option as I use it strictly for video (Now I have to go out and shoot some photos (jpeg + RAW) and see how that does.).
As for the OSMO Pocket, I have been really happy with it (especially with the last firmware update). The quality of the footage is very good in my opinion and the gimbal is effective in minimizing the shakes/bouncing in walking video. Coming from mirrorless setup with a gimbal, this is a really nice change of pace since I can just carry the OP everywhere since the weight is next to nothing. I remember in fall last year that I was thinking while using my Spark drone that it would be nice to get the same video that the spark gives in something I carry...I bought OSMO Pocket day one of release as I have been looking for something that can go everywhere and provide stablized footage. I like that you can spontaneous be  filming in 6 seconds where my full mirrorless setup is more like two minutes (provided I even have it with me).
I am waiting for the extension rod accessory so that I can get the joystick option as well as the rechargable docks/case which I am hoping is coming in soon (maybe second quarter). The fact that the OP can be used while being charges is another benefit as I always have a portable charger that I can plug in if I run out of battery (which has only happened once in two months).

My intention is to supplement video footage with my Mavic 2 Pro. I have a Gopro 3+ Black edition with a Rollei Gimbal that is really impressive at smoothing footage. The only gripe is that it is a little clunky and relies on another set of batteries to be charged. The owner feedback and votes are a real risk to my wallet as things stand.
2019-2-10
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

It depends on what are you expecting. If you have a good smartphone and don't mind to carry a huge 3 axis gimbal with you, the image quality isn't going to be so much better.
After all, cellphones use similarly sized sensors. Now, if you wish to have a very portable stabilized unit, the OP is unbeatable as no electronic stabilization can be on pair with mechanical, specially in low light and / or keeping the horizon leveled. For me, the OP is a YES, not impressed with the photo quality but very happy with the video quality. Hopefully we will soon see a Osmo Pocket Pro with a 1" sensor and other goodies. In the meantime, go for it.

ps. i use it as you want to, complementing my M2P
2019-2-11
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

anti-hallmark Posted at 2-10 22:01
Im not, there are a range of basic things that could be fixed in a small patch that are being completely taken off the board at this point

- Live Streaming - Promised, but now unsupported and no support planned. All workarounds fail because we can't hide the overlay, it would be simple to allow us to hide overlay so we can livestream.

You should read the Original Poster's question again.  He/she asked whether it, "met you expectations in terms of photo/video performance and portability.  Your reply is non-responsive.  
2019-2-11
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

anti-hallmark Posted at 2-10 22:01
Im not, there are a range of basic things that could be fixed in a small patch that are being completely taken off the board at this point

- Live Streaming - Promised, but now unsupported and no support planned. All workarounds fail because we can't hide the overlay, it would be simple to allow us to hide overlay so we can livestream.

The Osmo Pocket is not aimed at Professionals neither Commercial work. It is obvious that you bought the wrong product for the wrong reasons. You said you run a multimillion media company, are you going to advertise your work through the Osmo's Story Mode???

In addition, except the waterproof case, every accessory can be replaced with a 10USD alternative, one of your interns could edit out the watermark in 2mn and the USB-C comment is totally irrelevant. of course, your needs and priorities are different than mine and it seems that you're the 1 negative comment among the other 16 so... perhaps you need to buy a different product? (or be patient, the accessories are coming)
2019-2-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I'm afraid I didn't vote either as I agree with Webparrot's view.
To me, it's a tool that fits a niche when needed. I have other tools to meet other requirements.
In that respect, it fits perfectly into my workflow and is an invaluable tool.  
2019-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

El Diabolico Posted at 2-11 00:34
It depends on what are you expecting. If you have a good smartphone and don't mind to carry a huge 3 axis gimbal with you, the image quality isn't going to be so much better.
After all, cellphones use similarly sized sensors. Now, if you wish to have a very portable stabilized unit, the OP is unbeatable as no electronic stabilization can be on pair with mechanical, specially in low light and / or keeping the horizon leveled. For me, the OP is a YES, not impressed with the photo quality but very happy with the video quality. Hopefully we will soon see a Osmo Pocket Pro with a 1" sensor and other goodies. In the meantime, go for it.

I think we will see a new version of Osmo based on a 1” sensor I don’t think it will be designed to replace this pocket, but will attempt to continue to target the vlogging and short movie makers with higher end results from photo/video, don’t think we will see a Pocket with 1” sensor unless we start wearing clothes with bigger pockets. Lol
2019-2-11
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-11 12:22
I think we will see a new version of Osmo based on a 1” sensor I don’t think it will be designed to replace this pocket, but will attempt to continue to target the vlogging and short movie makers with higher end results from photo/video, don’t think we will see a Pocket with 1” sensor unless we start wearing clothes with bigger pockets. Lol

I do believe we will see a Pro version soon

Look at the Mavic Pro vs the Mavic 2 Pro, the size difference is not that big. the OP could easily be 30% bigger and people would still love the portability. In addition, the OP protrudes only slighter from the sides of an iPhoneX when connected, the OP Pro could fit the iPhone XS even better.
2019-2-11
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

So far I'm really happy with it. Easy and fun to use. The more I use it the more ideas I get for various projects.
2019-2-12
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

There will always be something better on the horizon. But if you're a casual user and just want to capture everyday moments. The OP is here now and does pretty good. For professional/commercial use, I probably would only use it for B roll or project history. As with all Tech stuff, if you don't have a use for it now, don't buy for the future but if you can make good use of it in the meantime. Get yourself one and start filming. The cost even with some must have accessories are still pretty low compare to a Gimbal DSLR setup.
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules