Battery Drain on Pocket when switched off
9482 25 2019-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cheesey1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm having an issue with battery drain when the device is turned off. The OSMO Pocket is on the latest firmware 1.4. The device is quite new but been charged too 100% and used to film on a few separate occasions. Its drained to 0% once and then recharged using a powerbank to 100%. It was used to film and ended up at 65% . Overnight it dropped  8% in 9hours. I've noticed the device draining when switched off since purchase. I have tried removing the Micro SD card when switched off as a precaution in case that was an issue.

Like others have reported on the forum the gimbal head will move after being switched off after approx. 5 seconds a few degrees when standing in the vertical position. This has been described as normal by the engineers but I thought I would mention as this could be a reason for the drain.

Is this problem being investigated by the engineers at DJI, and will there be a fix? I can't think of anything else to do to reduce this battery drain since unfortunately the batery cannot be removed and will reduce the performance of the battery over time and require more vigilence when filming is planned.

Thank
2019-2-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

When not in use the batteries used in the Osmo Pocket should be kept at a charge of around 40% to a maximum of 80% but nearer 40% is better and then charge to full before going out to use your Osmo Pocket.
Outside of those parameters can affect charge life and duration.
It is mentioned in the manuals.
2019-2-11
Use props
Cheesey1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-11 03:58
When not in use the batteries used in the Osmo Pocket should be kept at a charge of around 40% to a maximum of 80% but nearer 40% is better and then charge to full before going out to use your Osmo Pocket.

Yes ive read that. If the battery continues at its current rate in less than 24 hours it'll be well below 40% even if it hasn't been switched on.
2019-2-11
Use props
LionelB
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Cheesey1 Posted at 2-11 06:13
Yes ive read that. If the battery continues at its current rate in less than 24 hours it'll be well below 40% even if it hasn't been switched on.

Yes I tend to agree that something isn’t quite right. I’ve been surprised how good mine has been in holding its charge much better than my GoPro Hero 5. If you haven’t done so already I'd give DJI Support a shout and see what they have to say.
2019-2-11
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

While the battery does drop a bit overnight, It does not drop that much, There were time during my travel that I forgot to put it on charge after I got to back to the hotel after a day of use and I was worried the next morning. But I found that it only dropped a bit and still have enough to use in the morning. it did run low towards noon but I was able to charge it with a Power Bank during lunch.
2019-2-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Yes ive read that. If the battery continues at its current rate in less than 24 hours it'll be well below 40% even if it hasn't been switched on.

The gimbal movement after the eight-second vertical position I think is so the gimbal gently rests either side of case internally which would prevent it from bouncing around when transported. every now and again it will produce a pulse to gently put it back into perpendicular position in relation to the body to reposition itself if it finds itself upright, but no more. I leave mine at around 42% charge for days at a time and it seldom drops more than a few percent. However, if you left it charged at 100% for a long period, this may have had some effect on its ability to retain a charge. Try cycling the battery a few times and then leave it at the required charge for storage and see if things improve.
2019-2-11
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you that this does not happen. I have gone days without charging and still have over 85% available. It does drop 5-7% the first day but then it only lose ~2% a day afterwards.
2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cheesey1. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Let me forward this information/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further investigation and  development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s a battery problem and I would say start a case and return while under warranty.
2019-2-11
Use props
Cheesey1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've been continuing to monitor this over the last few days and the initial drain that happened does appear to have settled down, with only minimal draining happening when switched off. I turned the Pocket on at one point and could see the battery level almost counting down like a clock, loosing around 5% in two minutes, and that was without filming, but then  after having been switched off for around 10 hours and switched back on, the battery indicator suggested charge had gone back up by 1%! this suggests to me that it is the battery monitoring on the pocket itself is a little off and perhaps a future firmware update may help to make this more accurate.
2019-2-14
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It's typical for all lithium polymer cell to lose about 4-5% in a few minutes and then stabilize. If I take a full charge OP, plug it into my phone (where I can see the battery percentage). It will drop 3-4% after a few minutes then stabilize. I charged my OP 2 days ago, use it for a bit (think it was at around 95%), put it in my jacket and I just took it out and it's at 93%.
2019-2-14
Use props
GoPro King
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578799 ft
Australia

Meanwhile........GoPro users can swap out batteries on the run..........................LOL, so much money for a camera with a permanent battery which will have a limited life cycle.
2019-2-25
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GoPro King Posted at 2-25 15:58
Meanwhile........GoPro users can swap out batteries on the run..........................LOL, so much money for a camera with a permanent battery which will have a limited life cycle.

Gopro won't last forever either, There are always better stuff coming down the line. At the current price point. I'm happy to use it for 2 years and buy something new. I have yet to run out of battery during a whole day of travel. Even when I forgot to charge it overnight, all I need is to charge it with my powerbank while I'm on the train or bus and it charge right back up even on short transits.

Oh, good luck getting nice low light or night footage with your GoPro.
2019-2-25
Use props
GoPro King
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578799 ft
Australia

2019-2-25
Use props
atamadachi
New
Japan

I only got mine yesterday. The device had around 90% battery when I went to bed, woke up to an empty battery. Well,  I turned it on, it said it had low battery and counted down from 5 then switched off.
Going to be testing it out over the weekend to see if it was just a one-off. Fingers crossed.
2019-5-23
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

I had it all and seriously/truly dislike it. first i downloaded the new app. then my osmo pocket would not turn on anymore and would not want to take energy from my strong enough powerbank. strangely when arrived back home, i was able to charge again and it did power on. but the energy dropped extremely fast. putting it on a powerbank over nite resultet in a drastic drop of the energy level. what the heck does osmo think of such lousy energy management. i have never had any device which i plugged in the evening and in the morning instead of being ready to rumble being drained. i am super disappointed/veryp!ssed! would really like to return it but already bought quite some addons.
2019-12-20
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

ionenbush Posted at 12-20 03:19
I had it all and seriously/truly dislike it. first i downloaded the new app. then my osmo pocket would not turn on anymore and would not want to take energy from my strong enough powerbank. strangely when arrived back home, i was able to charge again and it did power on. but the energy dropped extremely fast. putting it on a powerbank over nite resultet in a drastic drop of the energy level. what the heck does osmo think of such lousy energy management. i have never had any device which i plugged in the evening and in the morning instead of being ready to rumble being drained. i am super disappointed/veryp!ssed! would really like to return it but already bought quite some addons.

actually, and I do not exagerate or being mean: i do feel fooled ! ..and this opinion is based on quite a large series of things that bug: starting with being forced to give private data in order to be able to start using the device. the powering on issue. the charging issue (how can somebody create a product in 2019 that needs to be watched while charging????). this results in total distrust regarding the reliable operability. if i am hired todo a little job, i now feel totally unsafe with this camera! nitemare!
2019-12-20
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-11 03:58

how to you keep a charge? you can plug it or unplug it from the powersupply. what the heck is this advice?? does one have to constantly worry and permanently check/care for the batt-level? do you know a single cell-phone in the market or any camera in the world that must be watched and checked during charging? do you have any example? my osmos drains energy as if a ghost was is sucking it. even during charging. I seriously feel fooled.
2019-12-20
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Most manufacturers will recommend phones, tablets, and other devices are "stored" at these levels.
2019-12-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

ionenbush Posted at 12-20 03:31
how to you keep a charge? you can plug it or unplug it from the powersupply. what the heck is this advice?? does one have to constantly worry and permanently check/care for the batt-level? do you know a single cell-phone in the market or any camera in the world that must be watched and checked during charging? do you have any example? my osmos drains energy as if a ghost was is sucking it. even during charging. I seriously feel fooled.

We aren't talking about in use but when not in use for more than a few days. And yes, even phones begin to suffer around eighteen months to two years in from constant recharging. Sometimes sooner. It's one reason I wouldn't consider an electric car any time soon. If you let the level drop below a safe level the battery may not recharge at all if left before recharging or go into cell reversal.
As Curt has pointed out, this is normal practice with anything using Li-Po batteries.
2019-12-20
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-20 07:54
We aren't talking about in use but when not in use for more than a few days. And yes, even phones begin to suffer around eighteen months to two years in from constant recharging. Sometimes sooner. It's one reason I wouldn't consider an electric car any time soon. If you let the level drop below a safe level the battery may not recharge at all if left before recharging or go into cell reversal.
As Curt has pointed out, this is normal practice with anything using Li-Po batteries.

the osmo pocket, i purchased her NEW and she lives in my house for about 48h. so, we are not talkinhg about years.

and i never had a phone which i had to physically monitor, like a nurse, watching how the batterie feels. seriously dude: what i have puchased - i do regret making this buy. meanwhile i had several monitoring encounters to confirm my instant perception: completely chaotic battery-behavior. half an hour ago i recharged it and had a chat, just now i checked: battery is at 58%. this is unspeakable!  

2019-12-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

ionenbush Posted at 12-20 10:29
the osmo pocket, i purchased her NEW and she lives in my house for about 48h. so, we are not talkinhg about years.

and i never had a phone which i had to physically monitor, like a nurse, watching how the batterie feels. seriously dude: what i have puchased - i do regret making this buy. meanwhile i had several monitoring encounters to confirm my instant perception: completely chaotic battery-behavior. half an hour ago i recharged it and had a chat, just now i checked: battery is at 58%. this is unspeakable!

I've had my Osmo Pocket for eleven months and still holds its charge for weeks only dropping one or two percent. I'm still getting the recomended recording time out of a full charge.  My son has had no problem with his and he uses his around once a week. We have found them to be reliable bits of kit. You may have a faulty battery, it's not impossible but at the same time it's worth noting others are not sharing your experience.
2019-12-20
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

update: it was fully charged at 10am indicating 99% power. i turned it off and it was not attached to any device, put it in the case. now, 9 hours later I checked. the power indicator showed 46%. I started to enter the settings and made some adjustments when within 5min the cam turned itself off!! I plugged it in the power supply and now its starting with single-blinking. devastating and super frustrating!
2019-12-21
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

I have decided to send it back and ordered a replacement
2019-12-21
Use props
fans210f59d3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-2-11 12:26
Hello and good day Cheesey1. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Let me forward this information/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further investigation and  development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.

I'm having the same problem with my Pocket 2. Do I need to resort this to DJI under  warranty concerns?thanks
2021-1-18
Use props
Baha3
New

Canada

Rule 1: Do not buy camera which has non-removable battery.

Hey Dji, you could have basically use 18650 battery, 2 of them can easily fits into it, and it does 6000mah and we can easily change it.

Why Dji why?
2021-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules