Please look at my fly away flight record and help me. Thanks!
1550 25 2019-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all,

So my drone flew away from me yesterday, i then lost eye contact and was confused as to what direction it was flying. I purely relied on the RTH button as i didnt no what direction it had flown and didnt want to touch the joysticks as i may have sent it even further away from me. Obviously RTH didnt bring it back to me. Ive read loads of posts where people are saying DJI dont like to really send out new drones. equally i have seen a few post where people have been left satisfied with there outcome in getting a replacement. Ive only had my drone since september 2018 so you can only imagine how devastated i am that this has happened to me. I have told DJI about this problem i am facing and have been given a case number but i am quite anxious as to what response i will get when they look into the flight records. Please could someone help me and take a look at the flight records and tell me if i did something wrong, i dont believe i did, infact i know i didnt. i cant stop worry that £600 of my hard earned money has just flown away in a matter of months.

Please guys/girls any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Flight records are here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WLFHSFN3RX97R48TCUWL/
2019-2-11
Use props
Proteous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228993 ft
Barbados

Well first off you flying in airspace that requires FAA permission, you stared flight with the rc then you somehow switched to phone or tablet control, what stick mode where you flying in ?
2019-2-11
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Proteous Posted at 2-11 05:35
Well first off you flying in airspace that requires FAA permission, you stared flight with the rc then you somehow switched to phone or tablet control, what stick mode where you flying in ?

Thanks for your prompt response.

i never switched from RC to mobile phone. I have never ever attempted to fly with my mobile since ive owned my drone because from what i understand it is alot harder to control. what do you mean when you say which stick mode?

regarding class d fly zone....i thought i was allowed to fly in this area. i guess i didnt read into it properly
2019-2-11
Use props
Proteous
lvl.4
Barbados

ajf3103 Posted at 2-11 05:59

i never switched from RC to mobile phone. I have never ever attempted to fly with my mobile since ive owned my drone because from what i understand it is alot harder to control. what do you mean when you say which stick mode?

you flew near an airport , these are no fly zones , this you must know
2019-2-11
Use props
Proteous
lvl.4
Barbados

ajf3103 Posted at 2-11 05:59

to fly in a no fly zone you would have had to make some kind of modification to your drone for it to take off,
2019-2-11
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Proteous Posted at 2-11 06:08
you flew near an airport , these are no fly zones , this you must know

airport is miles away from my location. my understanding from what i read is that if the drone is below a certain weight and height then im allowed to fly. clearly i misread this. with that being said i wouldnt do something stupid as to fly directly next to an airport or even close. from where i was i thought i was safe to fly here.

i have never been one to change settings if im not familiar with what i am changing. i treated my drone with such care and i really valued it so this certainly was not the case of me changing any settings....

the only settings i did ever change before a flight was changing its wifi from 5 to 2.4 in order to get better range after watching youtube videos which suggested this would help me......
2019-2-11
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi,

You suffered the dreaded IMU problem associated with yaw or compass errors, together with a subsequent loss of position hold and RTH capability. That resulted in a drop to ATTI mode. You seem to not having noticed that, since you made absolutely no attempt to pilot your bird home. You should always connect your phone to the R/C, so you can see and hear the error messages.

Anyway, it is a well known DJI problem, they should replace your Spark, as DJI did in many similar cases.
When you get your replacement, do some ATTI mode training as described in this thread.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-11
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2-11 06:26
Hi,

You suffered the dreaded IMU problem associated with yaw or compass errors, together with a subsequent loss of position hold and RTH capability. That resulted in a drop to ATTI mode. You seem to not having noticed that, since you made absolutely no attempt to pilot your bird home. You should always connect your phone to the R/C, so you can see and hear the error messages.

Hi mate. Again thanks for responding,

Based on my flight log did i do anything wrong in order for them to not replace my drone? you stating "when i get my replacement" fills me with alot more confidence than i had before reading your comment.

As you can tell from my lack of knowledge i'm very new to droning to the point i thought i was allowed to fly in zone D which to be fair in one of the most crucial parts of flying...obviously im not trying to bring down any aircraft or put lifes in danger.

If they do replace my drone i think theres lots for me to read up on before flying again.
2019-2-11
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Austria

ajf3103 Posted at 2-11 06:39
Hi mate. Again thanks for responding,

Based on my flight log did i do anything wrong in order for them to not replace my drone? you stating "when i get my replacement" fills me with alot more confidence than i had before reading your comment.

Hi, I just looked up your exact position, and you were flying in an airspace (surface to 2500ft AGL) near London City airport EGLC where you can only fly with London City Tower's permission.
See aeronautical chart here: SkyVector.com, dark green dashed area is not allowed to fly, even that it looks like you were far enough away from the airport (I don't know the british rules exactly).
So please, don't that again. We don't want to see you in jail :-)
Flying in an urban environment isn't a good idea, think about all the RF interference there.

Regarding to what happend on that flight: the only thing you did wrong was not being prepared what happened. But that ATTI mode drop is clearly DJI's fault, so I think you should get it replaced.
Let us know what came out of this!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

double entry?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-180885-1-1.html
2019-2-11
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2-11 07:08
Hi, I just looked up your exact position, and you were flying in an airspace (surface to 2500ft AGL) near London City airport EGLC where you can only fly with London City Tower's permission.
See aeronautical chart here: SkyVector.com, dark green dashed area is not allowed to fly, even that it looks like you were far enough away from the airport (I don't know the british rules exactly).
So please, don't that again. We don't want to see you in jail :-)

Hi,

Im aware that London City Airport was the closest airport but again i clearly did not understand the rules. Thanks for the link, I shall read into them with extra care this time.

Dude I just pray its a good outcome otherwise its bye to droning for me as these things are not cheap and i could never risk that amount of money again. I was just getting into travelling around and getting some amazing ariel shots along my journeys aswell. Thanks for your help.
2019-2-11
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-11 07:15
double entry?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-180885-1-1.html

yes mate, apologies. i wanted to have a different title in the hope that more see it so i could get some clarification. this is an extremely stressful situation
2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there. Sorry to read about your DJI Spark. I was able to pull up your case using your Forum account. I will formally ask the team that handles this specific type of case. Our experts from the data analysis team will thoroughly investigate the flight records submitted. Once they confirm that you have synced your flight records, it will undergo data validation and data analysis in 2-3 business days. After the analysis result comes out, our corresponding support will contact you. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

2019-2-11
Use props
bugalugs22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67684 ft
Australia

This is the problem when you dont have VLOS and you lose video then you dont know which direction the drone might be drifting in ATTI mode so you dont know where to point the RC antennas so hard to course correct and its bye bye sparky. Always pay attention to wind direction. At least you might have a fighting chance if things go wrong.

2019-2-12
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2-11 09:38
Hi there. Sorry to read about your DJI Spark. I was able to pull up your case using your Forum account. I will formally ask the team that handles this specific type of case. Our experts from the data analysis team will thoroughly investigate the flight records submitted. Once they confirm that you have synced your flight records, it will undergo data validation and data analysis in 2-3 business days. After the analysis result comes out, our corresponding support will contact you. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
HI Diana. Tha ks for taking time to help. Im patiently waiting for your colleagues to email me asking for my flight records. Thank you
2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

ajf3103 Posted at 2-12 00:40
HI Diana. Tha ks for taking time to help. Im patiently waiting for your colleagues to email me asking for my flight records. Thank you

Hi there ajf3103. You don't have to worry, all updates regarding your case will surely be forwarded to your email. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other concerns. We're here to help. Thank you for your patience.
2019-2-12
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

Just some clarification. I am not familiar with British airspace laws but here in the US a Class D airspace is NOT automatically a no fly zone. If you are within 5 miles of an airport you must notify the control tower and manager of said airport of your intended flight.
As to your fly away problem I know how you feel, I had the same happening to me last year in Iceland. You did nothing wrong, it is a serious problem that DJI is aware of. Send in all the requested information they need and I would guess that your case looks good to get a replacement, free of charge. DJI replaced mine, I even got a controller on top of it so I was happy. My suggestion is next time you fly, pay especially attention at all times in what direction your Spark is flying and keep your sight on it like a hawk. In case you lose GPS and Spark goes into ATTI mode, you can better control the flight path and bring it back home. Be prepared that when you have yaw errors the Spark will fly erratically since it loses sense of orientation in the sky, Your control stick does not function correctly, left push may not fly left, forward push may not fly forward etc. Good luck to you, let us know how you are making out with DJI, a positive outcome is in your cards!
2019-2-12
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans812df717 Posted at 2-12 08:32
Just some clarification. I am not familiar with British airspace laws but here in the US a Class D airspace is NOT automatically a no fly zone. If you are within 5 miles of an airport you must notify the control tower and manager of said airport of your intended flight.
As to your fly away problem I know how you feel, I had the same happening to me last year in Iceland. You did nothing wrong, it is a serious problem that DJI is aware of. Send in all the requested information they need and I would guess that your case looks good to get a replacement, free of charge. DJI replaced mine, I even got a controller on top of it so I was happy. My suggestion is next time you fly, pay especially attention at all times in what direction your Spark is flying and keep your sight on it like a hawk. In case you lose GPS and Spark goes into ATTI mode, you can better control the flight path and bring it back home. Be prepared that when you have yaw errors the Spark will fly erratically since it loses sense of orientation in the sky, Your control stick does not function correctly, left push may not fly left, forward push may not fly forward etc. Good luck to you, let us know how you are making out with DJI, a positive outcome is in your cards!

Thank you for replying Sir.

I still have not looked into the laws any further as I have nothing to fly. I have flown from my local park many times and when i think back the police have walked past while i have flown from this location and have not said anything to me, there could be the possibility that they themselves are not fully aware as the laws are fairly new, but still, its something i need to look into.

Ah so you understand. Its absolutely heartbreaking and helped me cope with the depression i go through. Whenever things got on top i would take my spark out and find some nice locations to get some amazing ariel shots. I used to call it my little brother, it was so precious to me and i treated it with such care (this may sound silly to some but that's just how it is for me) Im glad that there was a positive outcome for you and I just hope DJI realise that this was not my fault. Your words of wisdom and sharing your experiences have left me feeling a whole lot more positive about them replacing my Spark so thank you for that.

Also ive taken on board all your tips for my next flight should that day come.

Thank you Sir.
2019-2-12
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2-12 07:59
Hi there ajf3103. You don't have to worry, all updates regarding your case will surely be forwarded to your email. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other concerns. We're here to help. Thank you for your patience.

Hi again Diana.

I have just called DJI telephone number and spoke with your colleague. I was abit concerned as nobody had asked for the specific flight data. I was told that the analysis team had already looked into my flight record and the agent said he was now waiting for the report to be written. I assumed that i had to send you guys my flight records? i didnt realise that you could see my flight record on your system without me personally sending them, is this the case?

Thanks.
2019-2-13
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi All,

UPDATE:

I received a response from DJI and after no fault of my own, they will be replacing my Spark for me.

I am over the moon to say the least.

Thank you all for helping along the way.

Regards
2019-2-17
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Austria

fans812df717 Posted at 2-12 08:32
As to your fly away problem I know how you feel, I had the same happening to me last year in Iceland. You did nothing wrong, it is a serious problem that DJI is aware of. Send in all the requested information they need and I would guess that your case looks good to get a replacement, free of charge. DJI replaced mine, I even got a controller on top of it so I was happy. My suggestion is next time you fly, pay especially attention at all times in what direction your Spark is flying and keep your sight on it like a hawk. In case you lose GPS and Spark goes into ATTI mode, you can better control the flight path and bring it back home. Be prepared that when you have yaw errors the Spark will fly erratically since it loses sense of orientation in the sky, Your control stick does not function correctly, left push may not fly left, forward push may not fly forward etc. Good luck to you, let us know how you are making out with DJI, a positive outcome is in your cards!

Airspaces are a difficult matter...
In Europe, Airspace Class D is a controlled airspace, from the surface to a specific height AGL.  Usually around aerodromes. Note: all airports are aerodromes, but not all aerodromes are airports. Technically, Class D isn't a NFZ, since you can obtain permission from the tower / ATC.
Only airspace G is safe for us drone pilots to fly at all times. No permission needed there.
For the UK, have a look at this: https://www.nats.aero/ae-home/introduction-to-airspace/

Cheers.
Wolferl

2019-2-17
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

Happy to hear you have a new Spark coming your ways! Cheers!
2019-2-17
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

This is great news. I’m happy that you’ll be getting a new spark. I love seeing another happy  customer  For DJI. Happy flying !!
2019-2-17
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2-17 13:25
This is great news. I’m happy that you’ll be getting a new spark. I love seeing another happy  customer  For DJI. Happy flying !!

I appreciate it mate.
2019-2-18
Use props
ajf3103
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans812df717 Posted at 2-17 13:04
Happy to hear you have a new Spark coming your ways! Cheers!

Thanks dude
2019-2-18
Use props
Jstclair360
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11394 ft
United States

WOW! They just told me that they could not verify any reason why my spark flew away, and they would not replace it and offered a 30% discount on a new one. Mine was 3 days old. There were no pilot errors at all. Good for you! I will keep fighting this
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules