Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A second camera for The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom
1511 2 2019-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
walttheartist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 46696 ft
Canada

Here’s one for my Mavic 2 wish list.

The Mavic 2 series drones can have two controllers attached - one for the pilot and one for the photographer. I assume the pilot flies “Line Of Sight” while the photographer manipulated the gimballed camera. However not every amateur has the luxury of travelling with a co-pilot.

How about installing a second camera on the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom? Small cameras are fairly cheap these days. The Mavic 2 has eight already I believe. One more can be placed in the nose, which can be used by the pilot for navigating when the gimballed camera is simultaneously being used for video. The nose camera doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just enough for the pilot to orient the craft in flight. Maybe an option on the main controller to switch the nose camera’s feed on and off as needed, so it displays a small thumbnail or full size image on the main Go 4 screen.

I know there’s more to it than simply installing a second camera, there’s spliting the video feeds to the RC or Go 4 app., firmware mods etc. But DJI already has this scheme working on its more expensive drones, so the software and hardware engineering have already been worked out. Mavic 2 just needs a simplified version which shouldn't increase the cost too much.

However, the problem with this scheme in Canada is... it might be considered illegal for a "Line Of Sight" pilot to also take videos or photos. Canadian Air Regs tend to be overly strict sometimes. A basic RPAS license only allows us to fly far away from people and NFZs, so we pretty much have to fly in Porkhock Ontario, or somewhere just as remote. What's the risk if we fly and take short videos at the same time?

2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day walttheartist. Thank you for sharing this idea and information with us today. Let me forward this thread to our DJI R&D Team for further development of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-11
Use props
GhostWolf010
Captain
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

As far as i know, there are already cameras available in the nose, also on the mavic 1. They are used for distance control and some other stuff. So it would "just" that these footage has to be send to the go app and made visible. I would actually like this aswel. Maybe they can implement this somehow
2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules