Do you need an ND filter for OSMO Pocket?
9518 12 2019-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Do you need an ND filter for OSMO Pocket? This is one of the big questions I have seen asked, and you can also discuss if this worth the trouble and hassle of dealing with filters. This video might help you understand why, when and how you need them.

2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing such an informative video that will help to others, keep on sharing. Cheers!
2019-2-11
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

You keep making videos of subjects you're obviously not very familiar with and you cannot read your own scripts... sorry to be so harsh but you don't reply to your own YouTube videos and yet you still post them here to get views so here we are...:

at 03:35 you contradict yourself saying that "you cannot change the Shutter Speed because it is locked the double of your frame rate". WRONG, the Shutter Speed varies and the only way to LOCK it is by choosing to lock the exposure. You actually want to use an ND filter to obtain a SHUTTER SPEED that is double your selected FRAME RATE.

At 04:21: "because of reduced reflections, it makes the footage look desaturated and flat..." ??? That sentence makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. A polarized filter enhances color saturation and contrast. it is exactly the opposite of what you're stating...

This is the best one, at 04:50: "a polarizing effect changes with the HORIZONTAL LEVEL OF YOUR CAMERA" and "this should not be an issue with the OP but you should be aware if you shoot in portrait mode" WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? The Polarization effect varies according to the position of the camera lens in relation to the Sun. To be more specific, the highest polarization will be obtained when the camera is 90 degrees perpendicular to the Sun... if you turn your back to the Sun, there will be no polarization at all...

at 05:35 you say: "one thing that you should always consider is to have the CPL mounted on you OP to protect the lens from scratches. This filter will reduce glare in surfaces but otherwise it will not influence the amount of light that hits the sensor". WRONG AGAIN. Polarized filters even without any gradient will reduce light by 1-2 Stops depending on the brand. You can check that by installing a clear CPL and observing the influence in the Shutter Speed (if the ISO value is constant).

at 07:15, not wrong but there are other ways of choosing the right ND filter for different light situations. The clever way is to use any ND app (eg. PolarPro) and taking a reading of the Shutter Speed without any filter on the lens. The app will automatically suggest the best grade. This is much quicker and will avoid constant installation and removal of filters minimizing the risk of losing them, scratching the lens or stressing the gimbal motors (unless you power down everytime).

08:28, LOL, good one... there are no TIGER Stripes but Zebra Stripes. Yes they are both animals but quite different. one is a predator and the other the prey.

So in other words, compiling facts and data from other sources and just puting them together doesn't make up for the lack of practical application and / or experience. You chose to post again this video for views ignoring the fact that many folks highlighted all those mistakes... your choice.
2019-2-12
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

El Diabolico Posted at 2-12 01:22
You keep making videos of subjects you're obviously not very familiar with and you cannot read your own scripts... sorry to be so harsh but you don't reply to your own YouTube videos and yet you still post them here to get views so here we are...:

at 03:35 you contradict yourself saying that "you cannot change the Shutter Speed because it is locked the double of your frame rate". WRONG, the Shutter Speed varies and the only way to LOCK it is by choosing to lock the exposure. You actually want to use an ND filter to obtain a SHUTTER SPEED that is double your selected FRAME RATE.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on my work. I value all feedback good as well bad, and yes I sometimes make mistakes.
But you know what they say, it’s only the ones that do something that make mistakes.

03:35 yes, exactly this is why it’s "locked" it does not vary in manual mode, you set it at double of the of the framerate.

04:21: I’ll give you that one, but the whole point of this is that polarized filters contribute to general in camera modification of the image.  

04:50: When you turn the ring in front of the filter, the effect increases and decreases depending on the position. If you turn the camera this has the same effect.   

05:35 All right, yes might steal 1-2 stops, you are missing the point. This suggestion was to protect the lens. Good point about the PolarPro App seems like something I would like to check out

07:15 yes, but want to keep it simple for someone new to this and use tools available right at hand.   

08:28 Jawoll, Ordnung muss sein ;-)

Thank you again and sorry if I missed your comment on one of my videos, definitely not on purpose. I’m here to learn as well, so have a nice and wonderful day.
2019-2-12
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Henrik Olsen Posted at 2-12 02:53
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on my work. I value all feedback good as well bad, and yes I sometimes make mistakes.
But you know what they say, it’s only the ones that do something that make mistakes.

No problem Henrik, thank you for replying this time. For your info, I do not have a busy day as I am on holidays so it was a pleasure talking to you.

So basically at point 03:35 you meant something else but you couldn't explain it properly.
04:21 we agree that it makes no sense.
04:50, yes rotating the camera will have the same effect as rotating the filter BUT you are again omitting that polarization has to do with the sun and not with the horizon
05:35 is self-explanatory. A CPL or PL is NOT a Clear Sky or UV filter.
07:15 I will give you this one.

ps. You forgot 04:21, not important enough?

Perhaps learning before teaching would help you do a better job... but you know what they say, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
2019-2-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice video, thanks for sharing!
2019-2-13
Use props
PiteousPlayer
lvl.2
Hong Kong

El Diabolico Posted at 2-12 03:44
No problem Henrik, thank you for replying this time. For your info, I do not have a busy day as I am on holidays so it was a pleasure talking to you.

So basically at point 03:35 you meant something else but you couldn't explain it properly.

Do you have a clip or two that can share your views/suggestions on using filters?
2019-2-13
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

PiteousPlayer Posted at 2-13 23:33
Do you have a clip or two that can share your views/suggestions on using filters?

The video contains sample footage.  Or are you asking for recommend settings?
2019-2-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

PiteousPlayer Posted at 2-13 23:33
Do you have a clip or two that can share your views/suggestions on using filters?

If you are referring to educational videos like the ones that Henrik puts up, no. Sorry.
There are many YouTube videographers with tons of accurate content on how to properly use filters.

I can share with you privately my website if you wish to see the same principles applied to photography. I work a lot with ND filters in general but I haven't posted any videos publicly.
2019-2-15
Use props
asimo20
lvl.1
Turkey

hi there , thanks for this usefull informations .I want to ask which nd filters must have for shutter speed 1/120 or 1/100 in clear daytime with sun ,or some clouds.
2019-2-15
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

asimo20 Posted at 2-15 00:42
hi there , thanks for this usefull informations .I want to ask which nd filters must have for shutter speed 1/120 or 1/100 in clear daytime with sun ,or some clouds.

Hi, You are recording 60fps? But I would say ND16 for sunny days, and 8 may be down to 4 for cloudy days. But you would have to experiment and see. You should buy the full range up to 32 at least.
/HEO
2019-2-15
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

You don't "need" an ND filter and, for that matter, you don't "need" an Osmo Pocket, but boy are they great to HAVE!
2019-2-15
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Denmark

Upscaleman Posted at 2-15 12:28
You don't "need" an ND filter and, for that matter, you don't "need" an Osmo Pocket, but boy are they great to HAVE!

Totally agree
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules