Help, my Mavic 2 Pro went nuts on me.
791 6 2019-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt Chaos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 385400 ft
United States

Help... I've flown my M2P a number of times with zero problems. Everything is updated and current. I drove up to the mountains a couple of days ago northeast of Phoenix to get some video of me doing a little 4 wheel driving (yes, I always drive on all 4 wheels. LoL.) and other than forgetting to take the Gimbal Protector off initially and after a quick recalibration, all indications were ok for flight. I do not have any video because once airborne and at about 180', my M2P started to go crazy and it was all I could do to try to maintain control of it, let alone start videoing. I felt very lucky to have been able to land it. A lot was going on in a very short period of time. The weather was cold but well with in tolerances, the wind is the unknown factor. Below the tree line it was breezy and a little gusty but nothing that I haven't flown in before. I have no idea what the winds were above the tree line. I knew it would be stronger but didn't think it would be "that" strong. Just for a little background on me, I do fly commercially for a living, so I have a little bit of understanding of weather. I have to admit though, I have lots to learn in regard to flying drones.
This is my first post and I'm attaching my flight log (hope I'm doing it right). If someone can help me figure out what happened with this flight, I'd be very appreciative. I'm a little leery to take it up again until I have a better understanding of this.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/52IW1VRH0DCM0KB8LAZ0
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KCUGH522GNN6GVMT1KAK

The above is the copied link of my flight. I cant seem to upload my logs. I do have them on my iMac but I'm missing some info on how to attatch a TXT file or a DAT file.

2019-2-11
Use props
Capt Chaos
lvl.1
United States

Forgot to mention that 0.6 miles away are some large radio antennas. Not sure what kind but didn't think they would have any affect on my M2P. If you zoom out on the Google Earth image, you can see the antennas. I'm guessing they are about 40' or 50' in height. I've seen drones fly right non top of these thing, so again I'm thinking they weren't the problem.
2019-2-11
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi chaos - only possibility i can see is that the wind may have been too strong which i deduce from seeing aircraft attitude pitching and rolling.if wind was the problem then being in active track mode would not have helped cause it is a low power output flight mode -
sport mode is the right flight mode to help survive in heavy wind.
Seems the wind was not tooo strong (but more than active track can handle) as you managed to have some control.
If too strong wind was the issue then going to sport mode would have helped
considerig you still had some control in active track i assume the wind was a little too strong for active track but still not blown away entirely and therefore i say that sport mode probably would have given that extra power required to fly with proper control.
2019-2-11
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

I flew to video a cod fishing competition in November, and high winds certainly made for the same description of how your drone handled, that was the same for me. Landing in those conditions was very difficult, I had to get a third party to catch my drone. There are several apps that you can download that have the wind speed at different heights above sea level. I suspect these would be a useful addition to your tool kit for commercial flying.
2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your flight.

Hard to tell what happend as your MP2 was in activetrack mode  (what was it tracking?)  while the heading goes wild....

In Activetrack the control is done by the software and you gave RC inputs at the same time.

Why did you not cancel this mode and fly manual in P-GPS mode?

BTW, not a single error in the log.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-12
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you happen to take off on something that might be metal or metalic. Did you place it on top of a type of rock with metalic properties?  DJI drones will do exactly as you described if you happen to complete a takeoff on metal properties, even the rebar in sidewalks will do it.  I know because it has happened to me.  Usually they refuse to start around such properties but if you push it, look out!
2019-2-12
Use props
Capt Chaos
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone for all your input... Bekaru & JJB, after some thought, I realized I had it tracking my truck for the video I wanted to get but the high winds took over and I'm sure that was the issue. Why didn't I cancel the active track? Because I'm an inexperienced dumb ass. I totally forgot I had that going on in my moment of panic of trying to get the drone under control. I also thought there was a mode I had set which would change from P-mode to S-mode if the M2P got into trouble. Guess I'll be doing some more homework for my next flight.

Thanks again all! I'm sure I'll be back for more help here in the next couple of weeks.
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules