Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New FAA rule requires visible registration number on AC
3764 88 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2-15 16:49
I have a Mavic Air and I'm no scofflaw but there just isn't a lot of space to place these numbers.

I already have my cell phone number clearly visible, so, I'd have to remove that to display my FAA reg numbers.  To me, displaying my cell phone number complies with the spirit of the law, which is stated;

Hey, y'all do what ever you want to.  I just think that it's funny so many people griping about a tiny sticker that doesn't effect flight in any way.  LOL
2019-2-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-15 14:35
As for why the hub-bub, I've already stated I have no problem with exterior placement, but as for everyone else, maybe online debate is more fun than filling out crossword puzzles? ;)

So Fair enough, but why wouldn't a terrorist put on a reg number, either faked, stolen or created under false pretenses?

As I stated.  Depends on the circumstances, location, threat level...  A drone laying in the field or in a tree, no threat at all.  A drone landing in a crowded stadium, or in a crowd of people, or at an outside concert...  They would look at a whole lot closer.  The number being present allows them to contact FAA for an return on the Registration number which would allow them to contact the owner.  (Only a matter of a few minutes... not hours as you might think)
2019-2-16
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 2-15 14:57
Except that if someone hollowed out a drone to put a bomb in it it wouldn't fly and therefore not be a drone any more...and wouldn't require FAA registration.

They don't seem to have thought their cunning plan all the way through.

Really??  Hm.. wonder how many Ounces of C4 would it take to make a big boom?  And as I said above, Explosives are not the only thing that they are worried about.  LOL.. ya'll be watchin too many movies.  Chill out..  it's just a sticker.  
2019-2-16
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2-16 15:12
Really??  Hm.. wonder how many Ounces of C4 would it take to make a big boom?  And as I said above, Explosives are not the only thing that they are worried about.  LOL.. ya'll be watchin too many movies.  Chill out..  it's just a sticker.

By that logic we should register every object we own with the government and put a sticker of it on the outside, just in case we leave it unattended somewhere.
2019-2-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2-13 04:02
Again.. I ask. Who enforces the penalties? Who patrols the skies? It's like an imaginary force waving a big stick with no way to pick it up and swing it.  Just curious who enforces it. FAA officials? I think not. Maybe if the drone was in restricted airspace or caused an incident sure they would investigate and bring fines.  The fact is this... there is no patrols or enforcement of this law. Police officers can barley understand the criminal and civil law let alone FAA laws. So there really is nobody to patrol and enforce this; making it a silly ploy to take your $5 for registration and buy a happy meal with it; fund the tracking and authorization systems perhaps?  I don't know but I see drones flying around willy nilly and I play by the rules, yet I do not see anyone enforcing the laws on the people flying without registration or the people taking cash for jobs not being p107... there is zero enforcement so why take them serious?

If you decide to answer this with more laws and consequences.. please include the authority that patrols/enforces it. Thanks! (again.. asking for a friend. haha)

I dont think anyone is patrolling looking for drones to make sure they have the FAA numbers on it. Just if something happens and they find your drone, you can be charged or so ever. Im not sure it be a grey area for alot of law enforcements. Is it going to local/state/federal who enforces this rule. Depends where you at some local might ignore it where some local/state might enforce it and Federal well they do what they want.
2019-2-17
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 2-16 16:53
By that logic we should register every object we own with the government and put a sticker of it on the outside, just in case we leave it unattended somewhere.

Simply amazing....  LOL
2019-2-17
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-12 17:41
Notice the reasoning for why! Any miscreant wanting to do such a thing, are unlikely to use a DJI drone - more likely some home built contraption and very unlikely to put ID/Reg markings on it anyway.

Or if true evil premeditated use of a drone, they'll just put a FAA number on it that's not traceable to them.  
2019-2-18
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
United States

I'm thinking of doing this... technically it complies with new rule... I liked having it inside the battery compartment; I'm the type that likes clean unmarked gear, I remove all decals from my Mountain Bikes, I remove dealership gawky logo stickers from my automobiles and the last thing I wanted was to have random letters displayed anywhere on my Mavic Pro.  Going to have a lady I know print me custom cut vinyl stick on letters as tiny as they can be made... was thinking of matching the gold, but to add another level of "defiant compliance" I consider using the same color as the grey arms, lol.
TINY1.png
2019-2-18
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
United States

Bjs_express Posted at 2-18 06:54
I'm thinking of doing this... technically it complies with new rule... I liked having it inside the battery compartment; I'm the type that likes clean unmarked gear, I remove all decals from my Mountain Bikes, I remove dealership gawky logo stickers from my automobiles and the last thing I wanted was to have random letters displayed anywhere on my Mavic Pro.  Going to have a lady I know print me custom cut vinyl stick on letters as tiny as they can be made... was thinking of matching the gold, but to add another level of "defiant compliance" I consider using the same color as the grey arms, lol.[view_image]

Look closely under the MAVIC... that's the size goal I'm going for
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules