Over the Snow - Japan
1172 26 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

Shot this video after the first snowfall of the Kanto region in Japan this year. It doesn't snow much here and so it is usually difficult to find good snow images.
Edited with Wondershare Filmora. Feedback and constructive criticism are most welcome. Cheers!!

2019-2-12
Use props
Arnie R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

Very nicely filmed!
2019-2-12
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

You have some nice footage and interesting subject. Now I'm totally new at this, not even put up my first video, (still trying to get the hang of the drone and video editing) and it may be personal preference, but I find hard transitions on a hard beat very annoying both on my eyes and brain..just getting into the shot bam change, 2 seconds later change again on hard beat. Maybe other people love that, but I'm more interested in watching your footage than having it change every second because it has to be in time with a beat. You seemed to relax it a bit later on, but at first it was constant changes. Maybe even because of the slow tempo of the music? A fast tempo you are sort of ready for action and changes, but your video was slow and dreamy, which caused a stark contrast with the hard transitions. Hope that makes sense and you take it as just my opinion.  
2019-2-12
Use props
MccloudSpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

I like the way you put the video and the music together!  Nice work.
2019-2-12
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 2-12 20:59
You have some nice footage and interesting subject. Now I'm totally new at this, not even put up my first video, (still trying to get the hang of the drone and video editing) and it may be personal preference, but I find hard transitions on a hard beat very annoying both on my eyes and brain..just getting into the shot bam change, 2 seconds later change again on hard beat. Maybe other people love that, but I'm more interested in watching your footage than having it change every second because it has to be in time with a beat. You seemed to relax it a bit later on, but at first it was constant changes. Maybe even because of the slow tempo of the music? A fast tempo you are sort of ready for action and changes, but your video was slow and dreamy, which caused a stark contrast with the hard transitions. Hope that makes sense and you take it as just my opinion.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your opinion in so much detail. I totally understand what you are trying to say here but I have had quite contrasting opinions on this. Some people say that they don't feel engaged if the shots are long and do not change frequently. They find it boring and would skip through the video to find something new. However, I do realise now that lesser and slower cuts would have probably suited the theme and music I chose somewhat better. Thanks a lot for your comment. Just the kind of feedback I want to continuously improve my editing.
2019-2-12
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 2-12 21:38
I appreciate you taking the time to explain your opinion in so much detail. I totally understand what you are trying to say here but I have had quite contrasting opinions on this. Some people say that they don't feel engaged if the shots are long and do not change frequently. They find it boring and would skip through the video to find something new. However, I do realise now that lesser and slower cuts would have probably suited the theme and music I chose somewhat better. Thanks a lot for your comment. Just the kind of feedback I want to continuously improve my editing.

Yep I understand that. Its like all tv now, its quick edits, shot to shot. Maybe I'm getting old and just prefer to focus on one thing at a time! lol. If you look at some of the top videos here in the competitions, they still have the longer shots. I think your footage is interesting enough that longer shots would still hold peoples attention. I guess I'm giving long explanations because I'm also trying to understand what works to make a really good captivating video. Be interesting if you did another version with longer clips.
edit
I just played it again for about the third time, and maybe I'm getting use to it but it doesnt seem as grating as the first time. Maybe if you took out about 15 to 20% of the transitions, it would flow better for me. It was just the initial bam bam bam of transitions that seemed a bit like overload. The first set works where you are pulling out the shot, but then more, then more again and it just started to hurt my head as I had to keep trying to keep up with it.
2019-2-12
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 2-12 21:46
Yep I understand that. Its like all tv now, its quick edits, shot to shot. Maybe I'm getting old and just prefer to focus on one thing at a time! lol. If you look at some of the top videos here in the competitions, they still have the longer shots. I think your footage is interesting enough that longer shots would still hold peoples attention. I guess I'm giving long explanations because I'm also trying to understand what works to make a really good captivating video. Be interesting if you did another version with longer clips.

Well I am just four months and two videos old with the Spark. Still trying to watch other people's work and learn the key elements of filming and editing. I am glad you liked my footage. Will surely keep your suggestion in mind when I edit the next one.
2019-2-12
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

2019-2-12
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

nice video and good editing with the music..
2019-2-12
Use props
fans687a79c2
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Already very good indeed! By the way, you flied quite close to JR (railway). Is there any rule or restriction limiting drone flying near it? I flied my Spark in Japan before but at areas free from highways, railways or any potiential dangerous zones that I thought so!
2019-2-13
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

fans687a79c2 Posted at 2-13 00:47
Already very good indeed! By the way, you flied quite close to JR (railway). Is there any rule or restriction limiting drone flying near it? I flied my Spark in Japan before but at areas free from highways, railways or any potiential dangerous zones that I thought so!

You are right. Japan drone regulations do not allow flights above densely populated areas. They have an online map which show which areas are populated. This however was shot in a rather small city called Kasumigaura. There are many areas here where you are good to fly.
2019-2-13
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

Arnie R Posted at 2-12 20:51
Very nicely filmed!

Thank you Second Officer Arnie
2019-2-13
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

MccloudSpark Posted at 2-12 21:00
I like the way you put the video and the music together!  Nice work.

Thank you MccloudSpark. I think I have seen you in SparkPilots.
2019-2-13
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

Flighty Posted at 2-12 22:46
nice video and good editing with the music..

Thanks Captain...glad you liked it
2019-2-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done, thanks for sharing
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

RJB1 Posted at 2-12 21:46
Yep I understand that. Its like all tv now, its quick edits, shot to shot. Maybe I'm getting old and just prefer to focus on one thing at a time! lol. If you look at some of the top videos here in the competitions, they still have the longer shots. I think your footage is interesting enough that longer shots would still hold peoples attention. I guess I'm giving long explanations because I'm also trying to understand what works to make a really good captivating video. Be interesting if you did another version with longer clips.
edit
I just played it again for about the third time, and maybe I'm getting use to it but it doesnt seem as grating as the first time. Maybe if you took out about 15 to 20% of the transitions, it would flow better for me. It was just the initial bam bam bam of transitions that seemed a bit like overload. The first set works where you are pulling out the shot, but then more, then more again and it just started to hurt my head as I had to keep trying to keep up with it.

Yep, you getting older... average millennial can't keep it's focus and interest for more than 3 seconds... that's why modern content is like 1, 2, 3, cut, 1, 2, 3 cut, 1, 2, 3 cut....
2019-2-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing this cool video with. Very nice footage. If there is any help needed, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-2-13
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video!
2019-2-13
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 08:26
Yep, you getting older... average millennial can't keep it's focus and interest for more than 3 seconds... that's why modern content is like 1, 2, 3, cut, 1, 2, 3 cut, 1, 2, 3 cut....

I saw a "One year montage" video the other day and it had 2 sec cuts throughout. Looked very neat to me. I can post the link here if you are interested.
2019-2-13
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 08:26

haha yep I strongly suspected that. Seriously though if you look at some of the top drone videos, they don't cut this much right on the beat of the music.
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

nilanjan118 Posted at 2-13 15:47
I saw a "One year montage" video the other day and it had 2 sec cuts throughout. Looked very neat to me. I can post the link here if you are interested.

Yes, the shorter the cuts, the more dynamic it looks.
2019-2-14
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very well done. Excellent editing
2019-2-14
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Nice video, nicely edited
2019-2-14
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice video, nicely done, great job!
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Beautiful snow footage, enjoy your video so much. Love the last footage so much, the sun reflected on the house.
2019-2-25
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Japan

DJI Panda Posted at 2-25 19:50
Beautiful snow footage, enjoy your video so much. Love the last footage so much, the sun reflected on the house.

Thank you so much. The video was taken just after sunrise, which explains such nice reflections. I actually captured some nice sunrise photos as well that day. Here's one.
2019-2-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent video and background music.
2021-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now