FPV flying restrictions. B-a-a-a-a Humbug!
578 0 2019-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
walttheartist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46696 ft
Canada

Some jurisdictions have a strict rule about no FPV drone flying unless you obtain a special permit. In Canada, a pilot holding a Basic Pilot Flying Certificate must fly using “Visual Line Of Sight” only. FPV (Goggles) may only be used by a second person, leaving the pilot to keep a visual tab on the aircraft — even if it is just a tiny speck two or three blocks away. There are no restrictions on how far away you can fly your speck.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have never flown with my Goggles RE, but I hope to one day. I guess I’m not looking at this too deeply, and there must be solid reasons for the restriction, but it begs a further explanation. It makes no sense to an imaginative crop duster like me.

For example, when a person flies a real aircraft, their position in the pilot’s seat is actually FPV, right? Of course right! There’s no two ways about it. They can look left and look right, and up and down to a certain degree. All visual flying and navigation is done using eyesight, a compass and geographical features. This is the way you fly VFR, and it is obviously considered safe.

Why then is flying a Drone using FPV Goggles any different? The RPAS pilot is virtually in the same cockpit situation as a real pilot. In effect, when we use goggles, we’ve virtually shrunk ourselves down to the size of a miniature person sitting in the cockpit of the Drone — a little poetic but true. How then can this be more dangerous than actually flying? The Mavic 2 has a gimballed camera, and when used with goggles, can be swivelled around with head movement, giving the RPAS pilot as much visual acuity, continuity and awareness as a real pilot. Personally I think it is as safe or safer to fly this way than keeping eyeballs on a speck in the sky.

I tried to get a pilot’s license when I was younger but unfortunately couldn’t afford to complete the lessons. I tried to join the RCAF and would have made flight crew easily if it weren’t for my lack of a diploma. I bought the Mavic 2 Pro/Goggle RE kit because I though I could finally experience the thrill of flying before I flew off to Valhalla. Then, after laying down my coin-of-the-realm, I ran smack into the FPV restrictions. An absolute downer (1960s term) to say the least.

I’m looking forward to a repeal of this restriction someday when the authorities are more enlightened and give the situation deeper consideration. I hope it comes sooner than later… before I fly across the River Styx for real.

2019-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules