Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Airport security question(s)
907 14 2019-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Will be travelling to different parts of US soon, including Hawaii, and would like to take my Mavic Pro.
It's contained in a hard plastic case, batteries are all snugly fit and enclosed in plastic bags.
Would like to hear from anyone's experience (US Domestic) with airports.
Things like:
Was it a non-issue going through security?
Did anyone make you remove any/all of the contents of the case?
Did you have any printed documentation ready in case there was some issue, if so what?
Did your case/bag go through the scanner closed or open?
Has anyone ever been refused to take the drone with them on a flight?
Particularly interested in smaller airports that probably don't see drones and if they needed to be 'educated'.

2019-2-13
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Great question.
I am planning to take a trip and was wondering if anyone had experience Airport flying.
Looking forward to seeing your questions answered .

There are a lot of tips on the Web such as these.
Drone girl

DJI tips

2019-2-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. You may coordinate this to the airport authority to have an idea on their policy on bringing the drone and I would recommend visiting our website to check if your preferred location would be restricted or not. However, we're hoping that you could get the best recommendation by our valued customers who had experience flying in some parts of US  Please see the link below for reference. Thank you for continued support.

www.dji.com/flysafe
2019-2-13
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-13 08:53
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. You may coordinate this to the airport authority to have an idea on their policy on bringing the drone and I would recommend visiting our website to check if your preferred location would be restricted or not. However, we're hoping that you could get the best recommendation by our valued customers who had experience flying in some parts of US  Please see the link below for reference. Thank you for continued support.

www.dji.com/flysafe

Thanks. I am currently chatting with United but still want to hear from individuals who experiences may have gone smoothly as well as those individuals where things didn't go smoothly even though they may have been prepared and researched prior to flight.
2019-2-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled with my drone to a few states and I have two issues one in Louisiana and California

Both times my batteries were checked so make sure they are below 50%. The time in Louisiana my bag and drone was swab.

Some will say otherwise, but this is my experience and would hate for you to miss your flight because of a full battery.
2019-2-13
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a non-issue for me as I just send my drone with my luggage through x ray and not a peep from the TSA. It helps maybe when you are a Pre-Checked traveler.
2019-2-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2-13 12:12
It's a non-issue for me as I just send my drone with my luggage through x ray and not a peep from the TSA. It helps maybe when you are a Pre-Checked traveler.

Both trips I was pre checked and pre screened, meaning I didn't have to remove my shoes.
2019-2-13
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never had an issue. I put the drone and the remote in my checked bags and the batteries, I have 4, in my carry on. Traveled with my inspire 1 also but the drones hardcase was its own checked bag. only thing I had to do them was divide the batteries amoungst my family as TSA only allows 2 if they are the TB48 size
2019-2-13
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im from the UK  and take my drone with me all the time , recently went on  an RC cruise and flew with BA  I take my drone in my hand luggage along with my camera , never been and issue for me ,  I have the batts at  50% storage and keep them all in the same bag , my DSLR  is also in the bag and a gopro  and gear360 and have never been questioned, I even had the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass  and all they do is swab you and  check for explosives they  had a quick look at my camera but that was it!

I spoke with a TSA guy whilst I was waiting and he said they just look for things suspicious through the xray and thats it .  

I put most of the chargers and cables in the checked bags , as long as its easy to access  TSA or UK customs are ok also Hong Kong are ok with it  too , I took a spark out with me and brought back an additional MPP with me  with no issues.

I think it  depends on the destination though and their drone rules or lack of them, some countries I believe do not want them taken in just in case your sell it !  or they consider it a privacy or security issue if you check with these places tourist information centre or embassy well in advance you can ask what their rules are and then maybe ask permission but if they say no then I wouldnt risk it!  

Most airlines are ok with them as long as you ready their policies on lithium batteries , and I always keep a copy of the receipt in PDF format on my phone  for customs just in case they think I need to pay duty!
2019-2-13
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2-13 12:58
Never had an issue. I put the drone and the remote in my checked bags and the batteries, I have 4, in my carry on. Traveled with my inspire 1 also but the drones hardcase was its own checked bag. only thing I had to do them was divide the batteries amoungst my family as TSA only allows 2 if they are the TB48 size

Off topic a bit, but aren't you being brave to put the drone in checked luggage? I'd have serious concerns about theft.
2019-2-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

marklyn59 Posted at 2-13 08:57
Thanks. I am currently chatting with United but still want to hear from individuals who experiences may have gone smoothly as well as those individuals where things didn't go smoothly even though they may have been prepared and researched prior to flight.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. No worries, I'm sure that our valued customers could share their experiences when shooting in different locations. May you please have a safe flight ahead!
2019-2-13
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2-13 13:54
Off topic a bit, but aren't you being brave to put the drone in checked luggage? I'd have serious concerns about theft.

The bags with the Mavic get a TSA approved lock and the inspire case is its own checked bag. The inspire wont fit as a carry on. Ultimately they are both insured and I figure every time I fly there is always the chance of loss. Been doing RC helis, planes and now photography and FPV drones. 2 things I know are a definite with this hobby is:
1. Its expensive
2. You will crash
2019-2-13
Use props
djiuser_dyrdUzrKl2j9
lvl.1

United States

Traveled to the Dominican Republic 2 weeks ago with Mavic 2 Pro.  4 batteries at less then 50% charge on each.  United Airlines.  TSA pre-check.   Walked through X-ray area without issue.  
2019-2-13
Use props
djiuser_dyrdUzrKl2j9
lvl.1

United States

I thought they would at least check it out of the camera bag.  
2019-2-13
Use props
djiuser_dyrdUzrKl2j9
lvl.1

United States

I thought they would at least check it out of the camera bag but nothing.   Also I did have all the batteries inside safe-bags I bought off eBay.   
2019-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules