796 5 2019-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA is going to force us to put the stickers outside the aircraft.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-00765.pdf
I would like to keep mine inside the battery compartment.
Go make your voice heard!
Leave your comment at
https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FAA-2018-1084-0001
Here is what I sent to them:

"Please recall this new ruling and allow the sticker to stay inside the battery compartment, as long as such compartment does not require tools to open it. i.e. as per previous rules.

My reasoning:
1) outside stickers can affect aircraft balance/aerodynamics
2) outside stickers are subjects to the elements that can render them unreadable and would require constant maintenance.
3) due to the size of the small UAV it will not be possible to see those stickers from the ground when the UAV is in flight anyway. If the UAV is in hands, opening a battery compartment does not require any special effort.
4) in the event of a crash, an outside sticker is more likely to be damaged and rendered unreadable.

Thank you for your consideration!"
2019-2-13
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for the information.
Will go and check it out right now.
2019-2-13
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Isn't the point so that you can identify rouge drone in flight, almost like a car licence plate.

you've got a point with point 3 though, you'd expect some common sense in terms of a weight limit for example the French require the registration for drones above 800g
2019-2-13
Use props
JSKCKNIT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1208566 ft
  • >>>
United States

It took law enforcement how long to catch the unabomber?  Why?  Because he didn't leave information that lead back to himself! No person using a drone for nefarious reasons is going to register the drone and mark it..... leaving a trail back to themself!

The whole point of external markings is because law enforcement doesn't want to open possibly booby trapped compartments.
2019-2-13
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Here are my $.02

1) outside stickers can affect aircraft balance/aerodynamics
    The weight of a sticker will  not change anything.  ( I am using a Brother P-touch label )

2) outside stickers are subjects to the elements that can render them unreadable and would require constant maintenance.
    I am flying for about a year with a sticker on the top of may Mavis Air  ( a bit more than 80 hours ) and the label looks like it was on day 1

3) due to the size of the small UAV it will not be possible to see those stickers from the ground when the UAV is in flight anyway. If the UAV is in hands, opening a battery compartment does not require any special effort.

The point is not to read the registration from the ground, but to be able to read the registration without having to open anything
see https://www.faa.gov/news/updates ... Hv9ZRw&newsId=93045

4) in the event of a crash, an outside sticker is more likely to be damaged and rendered unreadable.
May be ....
2019-2-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for sharing these informative information regarding the most recent FAA rules. These will be a help to all our DJI Customers and Members. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules