Drone landed in water
1170 20 2019-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirStag
lvl.2
Flight distance : 424882 ft
United States

I lost my MA today in the Ohio River. I went to get some footage of the current flood conditions. In reviewing the flight record, I see at 63 seconds into flight the battery dropped from 91% to 0% instantly and the drone landed where it was, about 200 feet from shore. What causes a battery to do that?? I know I'm out of luck because DJ Care Refresh doesn't cover a lost drone. I assume this was simply battery failure. Maybe these drones need a backup battery.
I have just lost all confidence in these products now that I've had one fail so dramatically.

Any advice? Should I bail on DJI or buy another one? Should I replace my batteries every so many months or so many flights?

Really disappointed.

Also, how do I get the logs off my phone?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Antonio

2019-2-13
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

This is happening a LOT of late!!!! What's with the crap batteries DJI?!!
2019-2-13
Use props
Fendert
lvl.2
United States

How old are the batteries and about how many cycles (charges) on them?
2019-2-13
Use props
AirStag
lvl.2
United States

Fendert Posted at 2-13 18:52
How old are the batteries and about how many cycles (charges) on them?

The battery in it had 30 charges, was made in 2018.02 and was shipped to me in 2018.06.

S/N: OK4XF4J9430162

2019-2-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

open a case with dji support they should replace the drone for you under warranty
2019-2-13
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

I would extract the log from the controller and post here for analysis.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I'm sure some of the top analysts will chime in and provide a detailed view of the event.
JJBSpark for example..
2019-2-13
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Off late i am noticing there are too many battery drain issues being reported... Whats going on DJI?  
2019-2-13
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2-13 22:35
Off late i am noticing there are too many battery drain issues being reported... Whats going on DJI?

It is concerning... I dont really have a way to fly my aircraft at the moment but I will do testing as soon as possible.
2019-2-14
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, just a quick question in regards to your flight. What was the approximate AAT (ambient air temperature) that day? The reason I ask is that either one of two things happened. A. It was too cold, thus not able to deliver energy and intiated landing. B. A cell failed or partially failed mid flight causing the aircraft to again initiate the failsafe landing. As others have mentioned, you can post your logs using the link in a previous post, as doing so will better allow us to assist in analyzing your flight characteristics and what went wrong. I am sorry for your loss, and hope we can help get this sorted. Thanks!
2019-2-14
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Could be a temperature issue too? May be the climate was too cold to make the battery run out of power. please share the logs
2019-2-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Antonio, we are so sorry for your loss, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, the team will help figure out what happened and provide the proper resolution according to the data analysis result.
2019-2-14
Use props
AirStag
lvl.2
United States

Looks like a temperature issue. The log shows this on startup:

Battery Temperature Below 15°C (59F). Warm battery to above 25°C (77F) before flying.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8WLX5PTJ37FN4EE9P421/#

2019-2-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I'm surprised it stayed up as long as it did. Looks like a bad cell was one of the culprits.  What was the temp at takeoff?  
2019-2-14
Use props
AirStag
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2-14 08:30
I'm surprised it stayed up as long as it did. Looks like a bad cell was one of the culprits.  What was the temp at takeoff?

The ambient temperature was 39-40 degrees. I don't recall seeing any warning on the screen until it was landing. I'm used to checking the percentage of charge which was 96 right before launch. Should I look at the battery temp each flight before launch? Trying to determine what I could have done to avoid this 'ker plunk.  
2019-2-14
Use props
AirStag
lvl.2
United States

Still figuring this forum out.

See next post.
2019-2-14
Use props
AirStag
lvl.2
United States

I found the cached video on the iPad of the first 53 seconds. I don't recall pressing the record button to stop the video. Does the software do that automatically on low battery? There must have been several more seconds before it hit the water.

The video and some screenshots etc are here.
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AirStag Posted at 2-15 07:17
I found the cached video on the iPad of the first 53 seconds. I don't recall pressing the record button to stop the video. Does the software do that automatically on low battery? There must have been several more seconds before it hit the water.

The video and some screenshots etc are here.

Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry that we cannot analyze the data of third-party platform. Could you refer to 11# and start a case? Please provide us with your case number once you got it, we'll keep following up.
2019-2-15
Use props
AntonioEdwardo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-15 23:00
Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry that we cannot analyze the data of third-party platform. Could you refer to 11# and start a case? Please provide us with your case number once you got it, we'll keep following up.

Thanks Mindy. Yes I did open a case and submitted the info directly to support.
Best,
Antonio
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AntonioEdwardo Posted at 2-15 23:16
Thanks Mindy. Yes I did open a case and submitted the info directly to support.
Best,
Antonio

Alright, please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance during this progress, we will do our best to help.
2019-2-18
Use props
AntonioEdwardo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-18 01:15
Alright, please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance during this progress, we will do our best to help.

CAS-2743699-N1B5Z9 is the case number I received but it doesn't appear to be in the system yet.
2019-2-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AntonioEdwardo Posted at 2-18 07:55
CAS-2743699-N1B5Z9 is the case number I received but it doesn't appear to be in the system yet.

The Flyaway case cannot be found in the https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace, no worries, we will keep an eye on it.
Your case is under data analysis at the moment, we will have someone to contact you once it is done, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules