673 10 2019-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I'm flying on a river in a Height Restricted NFZ. Section I'm in is 100 feet restricted.  I'm fliming some activity on the river. Unbeknownst to me a large boat is coming down the river headed right for my drone. Boat is 120 feet high.

No time to get out of way and I can't increase altitude because I'm locked in the Zone.. If sensors sense the boat will they raise the drown to avoid a crash even if the drone is in a height restricted NFZ? I'm guessing no but would like confirmation.

I do know if your RTH kicks in while in a height restricted area it WILL NOT rise to your selected RTH height.

2019-2-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great questions. Following
2019-2-14
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Probably your drone would move left or right out of the way of the oncoming obstruction if it could not move upwards, large boats in rivers normally do not move that fast so the drone should have time to respond and avoid it laterally
2019-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It would be some boat to be 120ft wide so left or right should be your best option in this case, I don’t think it will rise above restricted height, so if you think this way, then it would be prudent to check for likely obstacles before flying.
2019-2-14
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

I love hypothetical scenarios. I'd be curious to see replies. Thanks for asking.
2019-2-14
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

If I assume that you are supposed to fly within sight of the craft wherever you are ... you would likely spot an obstacle/boat that large no?

Indeed, if the above applies (law in your country states flying within sight) would you want to fly blind in such a restricted zone?

2019-2-14
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-14 09:39
It would be some boat to be 120ft wide so left or right should be your best option in this case, I don’t think it will rise above restricted height, so if you think this way, then it would be prudent to check for likely obstacles before flying.

Should have been 120 Foot High.
2019-2-14
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 2-14 11:33
If I assume that you are supposed to fly within sight of the craft wherever you are ... you would likely spot an obstacle/boat that large no?

Indeed, if the above applies (law in your country states flying within sight) would you want to fly blind in such a restricted zone?

Well again I stated this was a Hypothetical question.  But let's face it I think about 2% of flyers have bird in site at all times. Not to mention I fly with goggles a lot. If I wasn't careful I would have found the answer to this question wouldn't I? I just like to know what happens in all situations so I'm prepared in case I encounter the situation.
2019-2-14
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2-14 08:04
Probably your drone would move left or right out of the way of the oncoming obstruction if it could not move upwards, large boats in rivers normally do not move that fast so the drone should have time to respond and avoid it laterally

Yes that was my thought but I wonder if the drone knows to do that since these restricted height areas are new. What if it's programmed to go up in that situation that was the basis of my ?
2019-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BrianKushner Posted at 2-14 13:29
Should have been 120 Foot High.

What I meant was it would be a lot easier to fly around a boat than over a boat .
2019-2-14
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Have to agree with Spike_151, if the sensors are turned on, it would move and try to avoid the obsticle.  To the side.
2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules