Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

https://www.raytheon.com/news/fe ... 3260001&sfns=mo
2019-2-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this article. Please be responsible for using our drones to avoid inconvenience and incident. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Interesting article .
Thanks for sharing.
2019-2-14
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Surprised it is that hard to intercept a radio controlled toy drone broadcasting its GPS position.  Jam its frequency and make it go home.  Report to the airport it's home location.  Alternatively, just keep a database of land now commands for popular drones (Phantom 4, Mavic) and broadcast commands for it to land now.  It wouldn't be hard to intercept it's unique id code from its transmitter and give it commands.

The autonomous drones with no radio broadcast flying stealthily around would be a much tougher problem but currently represent zero drones flying around airports.   Raytheon seems to be making a much more expensive product to handle this very limited threat of stealth drones.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to keep a few $100 race drones and their $100 controller and a set of FPV goggles around for maintenance guys, or airport firefighters, to play with a few times a day.  Teach them where they can fly in a designated area.  Then if a drone is sighted or its signals detected, notify maintenance to take up one of the race drones to collide with the Mavic Pro 2.  A stealth drone would be an easy kill.  

Little phantom drone silhouettes denoting kills on the side of maintenance's office window.
2019-2-14
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
United States

I wonder if any  buddies fly aways from  this forum was from something like that and they blame it on A/C ? ? Just saying
2019-2-14
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2-14 10:24
Surprised it is that hard to intercept a radio controlled toy drone broadcasting its GPS position.  Jam its frequency and make it go home.  Report to the airport it's home location.  Alternatively, just keep a database of land now commands for popular drones (Phantom 4, Mavic) and broadcast commands for it to land now.  It wouldn't be hard to intercept it's unique id code from its transmitter and give it commands.

The autonomous drones with no radio broadcast flying stealthily around would be a much tougher problem but currently represent zero drones flying around airports.   Raytheon seems to be making a much more expensive product to handle this very limited threat of stealth drones.

That would be funny. And not a bad job to fly around in off time for a drone demolition derby
2019-2-14
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

I don't fly anywhere near an airport so I'm not worried about it.
2019-2-14
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Sprtbkrydr Posted at 2-14 12:52
I don't fly anywhere near an airport so I'm not worried about it.

The FBI should maybe investigate Raytheon if they want to get to the bottom of the drones at airports reports . it mostly likely is but ,Assume it isn't a Hoax  . a drone that could do what was reported by the pilots at >3500 ft going> 250 mph  would cost a minimum of 30,000 . Raytheon didn't waste anytime to step up to the plate with a answer to this terrible public drone menace , for a huge government contract of course .
give me a break people .   
2019-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules