Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will DJI ever start selling a real DJI beginner drone?
932 15 2019-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pedro Castelani
First Officer

Argentina

DJI has dedicated most of its interest in proffesional and consumer drones. The closest it has gotten to a beginner drone is the Spark, which, if lost, means you just had 400 bucks and now they're gone. The Tello isn't strictly a DJI drone, so it can't be counted in. Will DJI ever make an entry-level, cheap but efficient, beginner drone?

2019-2-14
Use props
Karce
lvl.1
Canada

I would say you're incorrected... the Tello would be DJI's beginer drone.  Eventhough it has another company's brand on it, DJI was certainly involved enough that it could be considered a DJI drone, and one that is good for beginners.
2019-2-14
Use props
MccloudSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Just like any business - it's all about making money.  The business strategy will always be to maximize profit while minimizing liability and loss.  What DJI has done is brilliant which is probably why they can employ 15,000 people.
2019-2-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We would consider this as a suggestion to see if we could provide a drone in the future that could easily use compared to the drone that we've released before, for our customers who are not familiar enough when flying the drone. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

I don't see it coming in foreseeable future.
2019-2-14
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello Tello
2019-2-14
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Spark is a beginners drone though, it's light years ahead of the cheap stuff on Amazon, GPS and the Return to Home feature make it very newbie friendly.
2019-2-14
Use props
darkfull1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

If you want something less expensive you automatically will get less features. You can't get a drone with what the spark has and working as well for half the price. As for the tello it's not available where I'm from so I don't have one yet and can't tell you how it is but it looks very nice for starting.
2019-2-14
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Rolls Royce may be for beginners, if you can afford. A Ferrari is for experts, again if you can afford.  Same with a Lamborghini. They don't make 'cheap' cars.
Maybe you are looking for a Volkswagen Beetle made by VAG, also part owned by Porsche? Still not cheap for beginners.

I had a cheap beginner drone & it crashed beyond repair within an hour.  Spark IS a beginners drone, but you pay for the features & durability.
Otherwise the Tello - maybe not 100% DJI.    A Porche is not a VW, but belongs to the same family.  Considering labour costs, even luxury cars are now made off-shore in the same factory as a cheap Korean car.

It's a different world these days & the quality should be decent with most respectful brands, depending on the company's quality control.  

What do you call a beginner drone & what features should it have?  GPS, obstacle avoidance, return to home, a decent camera? Or none of those & just fly in atti mode away with the wind & loose a cheap $100 drone ten time over?   You only get what you pay for. A beginner needs the BEST technology for a reasonable price. An experienced pilot may be able to fly a 'dumb cheap drone' better than a beginner & survive.

I expect my kids to drive a safe car when learning the basics. Once they learn, then driving a vintage car with drum brakes that don't work too good in the rain, manual steering, no air-con, no air-bags nor seat-belts etc should be easy for an experienced driver. Same with drones - the cheaper they are the harder they are to control.

I guess DJI choose not to enter the toy market as they serve the professional & higher end consumer market & don't wish to lower their standards.  Fair enough in my opinion to protect their brand. DJI still make mistakes with their current products & best not to confuse their efforts with cheap rubbish. Quality, not quantity?  Plenty of cheap drones on the market, why would DJI compete with cheap clones when they have the original designs?  Best if they leave it to a third party, like the Tello & support it to a point.  
2019-2-15
Use props
Pedro Castelani
First Officer

Argentina

Good point about DJI being good making more professional drones. The thing is, there are still quite good beginner drones which aren't Inspire 2 level but, still, are worth their price. What I most like about them is that they are customizable, and you won't void any warranty since you won't either get a refund in case anything goes wrong from the brand (unlike DJI). It feels really good to have a drone that you already have fully disassembled, reassembled and modded and is truly yours in that sense.
2019-2-15
Use props
darkfull1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Pedro Castelani Posted at 2-15 06:53
Good point about DJI being good making more professional drones. The thing is, there are still quite good beginner drones which aren't Inspire 2 level but, still, are worth their price. What I most like about them is that they are customizable, and you won't void any warranty since you won't either get a refund in case anything goes wrong from the brand (unlike DJI). It feels really good to have a drone that you already have fully disassembled, reassembled and modded and is truly yours in that sense.

For that you will need a racing drone not a Spark like drone. It wont have GPS probably no camera but you can modify it if you know how to. And it's way harder to fly.
2019-2-15
Use props
Pedro Castelani
First Officer

Argentina

Might be true about them being harder to fly. Anyway, if you learn to fly with a drone that is almost impossible to, it'll be a lot easier to master perfectly stabilized ones like DJI drones. Its just like using 360 obstacle avoidance full-time on the Mavic 2 series to prevent any possible crashes: when you don't have these systems, your drone will most likely end on the ground.
2019-2-15
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

i don't think so
2019-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think spark in beginner mode is a good place to start, once this is mastered you need some more space and slowly learn that way, in order to improve you need to fly a proper craft, so spark is ideal, 99% of people don’t lose them .
2019-2-21
Use props
Hobbyshop2014
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32769 ft
United States

I gave my girlfriend a Tello for her birthday,  It's not all DJI but close enough that she is learning how to fly it safely.
2019-2-21
Use props
Pedro Castelani
First Officer

Argentina

Tello is probably a good option. I started flying a couple of years ago with a zero tech unnamed-brand drone. Haven´t learned the manufacturer yet
2019-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules