Flyaway within warranty, but now expired. Am I out of luck?
1369 13 2019-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ktnsvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23323 ft
United States

I had a flyaway happen last year while it was still covered under the warrenty period. Now am I out of the warrenty period, am I out of luck getting this replaced? I haven't flown it since the incident and it's been sitting in storage, I didn't realize until checking the forums recently that this was covered under warrenty.
I submited a support ticket but they said they would not investigate since it's not in warrenty...

What happened:

I took my drone out for the first time of the season, updated all the apps, controller and drone software.

I attempted one flight before this one at 9:08am which almost ended in a disaster as well but I was able to land it luckily. This is when things seemed off.

Next I attempted another flight at 9:09am and everything was fine at initial take off but then all control was lost. I tried to take over to land and avoid the house but it sped up instantly and crashed into my home, luckily or else it would have flew for who knows how long over the lake.

As you will notice in the flight records there was a compass error 1m 0.7s, still no clue why but that seems to be when it malfunctioned.

Thanks for your time

2019-2-15
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

Here is the flight record: TZWDQS4YOAP3OHOPA7DH I can't post the full URL for phantomhelp
2019-2-15
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can post the url from phantom help.
If the link does not go "hot" then put before it and after it.
2019-2-15
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-15 10:28
Yes, you can post the url from phantom help.
If the link does not go "hot" then put  before it and  after it.

It still doesn't like me post, maybe cause I haven't posted enough?

It says "Sorry, you do not have permission to post the URL connection"

phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TZWDQS4YOAP3OHOPA7DH/#
Removed http and www for it to work..
2019-2-15
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

ktnsvm Posted at 2-15 11:45
It still doesn't like me post, maybe cause I haven't posted enough?

It says "Sorry, you do not have permission to post the URL connection"

LOL it hyperlinked my advice

ahhh, not enough rank
Ok, we can see it though

Wish you would have taken care of it when it happened.
Tons of compass errors, IMU mismatch, speed error and something I have never seen - Other (8)
So with all of those errors going on, you would have gotten another one under warranty.

But now since you are out of the period...bad news

2019-2-15
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-15 12:25
LOL it hyperlinked my advice

ahhh, not enough rank

I figured that was the case. I was pretty upset when it happened I just threw it in storage to forget about it. I only had a few dozen of flights with it.

I did reach out to support shortly after but they weren't much help and said I was out of luck then, it was over chat last summer

It wasn't until recently I realize this was such a common issue in the past on the forums. Bummer.
2019-2-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi ktnsvm, we're sorry for the inconvenience. As you mentioned "I did reach out to support shortly after but they weren't much help and said I was out of luck then, it was over chat last summer", may I have the email address/phone number when you contacted our support? Also, please provide us with your case number or ticket number if applicable, we'd like to investigate the exact status and see whether we can help.
2019-2-15
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

Hello Susan, thank you for your response. The case I just opened up is #1980546. I will look and see if I have a chat transcript from the other time. It would have been within a few weeks after it happened. May-June 2018.

Is it possible for me to PM you my number/email?
2019-2-15
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

Sent you a PM, didn’t see the option on mobile...found it on desktop site.
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ktnsvm Posted at 2-15 21:39
Sent you a PM, didn’t see the option on mobile...found it on desktop site.

Received with thanks! I've forwarded to the designated team to investigate the exact status, we'll help you get an update soon.
2019-2-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Looks like you took off around some steel.  That really screws up the compass and, as in your case, can end badly.  Sorry this happened to ya.
2019-2-16
Use props
ktnsvm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2-16 07:21
Looks like you took off around some steel.  That really screws up the compass and, as in your case, can end badly.  Sorry this happened to ya.

Tried to be as far away as possible. The warning didn't even show until the flight already started so there was no time to recover. This is a serious product defect and malfunction. How can they still even sell it?

Wasn't able to get it covered through warranty since I waited to long.  Pretty crazy that there can be a defect that causes this and still isn't covered outside the warranty. Companies do this all the time when there is a serious issue like this.  

I know it's my fault for not getting in touch with the company in time, but really disappointed that they shipped a product with these kind of issues. Makes you wonder how many other customers this has happened too.
2019-2-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

ktnsvm Posted at 2-18 13:55
Tried to be as far away as possible. The warning didn't even show until the flight already started so there was no time to recover. This is a serious product defect and malfunction. How can they still even sell it?

Wasn't able to get it covered through warranty since I waited to long.  Pretty crazy that there can be a defect that causes this and still isn't covered outside the warranty. Companies do this all the time when there is a serious issue like this.  

We are deeply sorry if you are experiencing issues with your unit but we can only process warranty service if the part will fall within the warranty period and if the defect is caused by a unit issue. Once you are out of the warranty period, we can no longer provide warranty service as the lifespan of your unit will depend on the totality of how it was used and all, however, we will continue providing paid repair services for an out-of-warranty product. We hope you can understand that every electronic product has a certain warranty period. We appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you.
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules