Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
max height
1245 14 2019-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_c1jzHerDJYTb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223776 ft
United Kingdom

we all like a really high flight and have uk but regulations im told are 120meters but who has done the 500m that's set on the control ?????????
2019-2-15
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Anything above 400ft is illegal, so frowned upon and not something anybody should attempt lightly. Plod will come along and feel your collar, and rightly so.
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. About your question as Captain @M2Wair said reaching the said Altitude will lead to flying illegally since we need to comply with the restriction. We want to avoid any accidents that may happen and I hope you understand. Thank you for your consideration.
2019-2-15
Use props
djiuser_c1jzHerDJYTb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223776 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-15 14:41
Hi there, thank you for reaching out. About your question as Captain @M2Wair said reaching those being said Altitude will lead to flying illegally since we need to comply with the restriction. Especially we want to avoid any accidents that may happen. I hope you understand. Thank you for your consideration.

sure do mate
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Nice to hear that. If you have any question or concern feel free to reach us back. Thanks!
2019-3-28
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only way you can do that kind of height is with a commercial license and a very good reason for wanting to go that high. Plus all the correct authorisation for completing such a flight.
2019-4-1
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As of last year anybody flying a drone more than 400 feet above ground level in U.K, without proper authorisation from CAA, was made a specific criminal offence. With that in mind I doubt you'll get many replies to your question.

Latest updates can be seen Here

The only way legally to get the high altitude experience that some might desire is to climb a mountain and fly from the top within the limits above ground level.
2019-4-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The ability to set the altitude to 500m / 1640' is because the altitude of the drone is assessed against the home point where the drone took off from and not the actual ground the drone is flying over. If, for example, you took off from the bottom of a 400m hill and ascended up the hill you would need to adjust your max flight altitude to reach the top whilst still being within the law of 400' AGL. The 500m max is not in place for you to commit a criminal offence which flying higher than 400' AGL is in UK airspace. Only a moron would reply to this thread to brag about how he or she broke the law. Would you show a video of yourself stealing or stabbing someone? Placing manned aircraft at risk with a drone in UK airspace can lead to a custodial sentence of up to 5 years imprisonment in the UK and manned aircraft can fly as low at 500' AGL - think police helicopters, single manned aircraft and not just large aircraft in and out of Gatwick... There is nothing remotely cool or creative in endangering life! Added to the fact that the UK government are in the process of a formal enquiry into the ethics of using drones in the UK - such videos will fuel the debate on banning them here...
2019-4-1
Use props
smirnoff9969
First Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

I must say that even here on this forum I saw pics and flights that are way above 400feet...maybe not filmed in UK but still...
2019-4-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

smirnoff9969 Posted at 4-1 21:51
I must say that even here on this forum I saw pics and flights that are way above 400feet...maybe not filmed in UK but still...

It is important not to 'police' the forum/social media as there are genuine cases whereby the pilot is qualified to fly at higher altitudes and has permission to do so from their respective aviation authority. Also, some countries do not have specific drone laws so flying higher than 400' is not a crime in some countries whilst other countries have only recently introduced such laws. It was actually technically legal to fly a drone up to 1000' AGL in the UK before the recent bill was passed restricting it to 400'. The shots you are looking at may also have been taken before those new laws were implemented. I guess it's important not to judge until you know the all the facts and well, you never truly will - a lot of these shots are also taken by pilots visiting the respective country where they took the shots too so it's almost impossible for authorities to trace/fine/prosecute the pilot as they don't live within their jurisdiction - unless they are caught red handed by the police etc whilst flying.
2019-4-2
Use props
smirnoff9969
First Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

I was just sayin, some pics/videos look far better taken from higher altitude.  I` m not gonna report to the authorities.
2019-4-2
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-1 03:45
The ability to set the altitude to 500m / 1640' is because the altitude of the drone is assessed against the home point where the drone took off from and not the actual ground the drone is flying over. If, for example, you took off from the bottom of a 400m hill and ascended up the hill you would need to adjust your max flight altitude to reach the top whilst still being within the law of 400' AGL. The 500m max is not in place for you to commit a criminal offence which flying higher than 400' AGL is in UK airspace. Only a moron would reply to this thread to brag about how he or she broke the law. Would you show a video of yourself stealing or stabbing someone? Placing manned aircraft at risk with a drone in UK airspace can lead to a custodial sentence of up to 5 years imprisonment in the UK and manned aircraft can fly as low at 500' AGL - think police helicopters, single manned aircraft and not just large aircraft in and out of Gatwick... There is nothing remotely cool or creative in endangering life! Added to the fact that the UK government are in the process of a formal enquiry into the ethics of using drones in the UK - such videos will fuel the debate on banning them here...

Good point regarding flying up the hillside and staying within limits.
2019-4-2
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 4-2 13:04

Possibly flying down hill would put you in greater risk of breaking the law. I try to imagine that my Spark/Mavic has a 120m long string attached to it which must drag on the ground at all times.
2019-4-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Warriewoodlad Posted at 4-2 13:14
Possibly flying down hill would put you in greater risk of breaking the law. I try to imagine that my Spark/Mavic has a 120m long string attached to it which must drag on the ground at all times.

That is very true and much more difficult to gauge. This is when your altitude will start showing a negative altitude reading such as -50m so maintaining VLOS is very important when taking off from a higher point to the ground.  
2019-4-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 4-2 13:04

A number of people, especially those new to the hobby are not even aware of that which is a concern.
2019-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules