Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ATTI mode and warranty
2557 15 2019-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneEEE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1047 ft
Sweden

Hi!

I know that the Mavic 2 Pro does not have a way to manually put it into ATTI mode, which is a weird choice given that it has "Pro" in the name and is basically a more portable Phantom. Flying indoors in a mode where the drone may get a weak GPS signal and suddenly move is very risky.

There is the "hack" to remap either tripod mode or sport mode to ATTI mode using an old version of DJI Assistant. Is there any official word on if the warranty is void by doing this? It would make it possible to fly safely indoors and in places where GPS is unreliable, but if warranty will not be honored it's not really an option.
2019-2-16
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Why do you need to fly M2P indoor?!
2019-2-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would like to clarify if you wanted to use the tripod or sports mode while on ATTI mode? The warranty would depend on the investigation using the flight records on the DJI GO 4 app. The aircraft would automatically switch to ATTI mode when the GPS signal is weak or the compass experiences interference. On this mode, the aircraft can be easily affected by its surroundings which may cause an incident. We would recommend flying your drone in an open are wherein there are no interferences to avoid the mishap. Prevention is better than a cure. Thank you for understanding.
2019-2-17
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If light indoors is somewhat sufficient you can rely entirely on the downward vision system.
I have been flying in a shipyard hall and went up to 23m. It wasn't really that much light and no GPS of course. No issues.

If there is something you don't want to have inside it is Atti. The drone keeps drifting around.
If it is a real small indoor scenario the wind generated by the props hits the walls and comes back at the drone.
That's when the sh*t hits the fan ;-)
2019-2-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
Second Officer
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-18
Use props
yuft gtdr
lvl.1

Egypt

Why do you need to fly M2P indoor?!
2019-2-18
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-18 10:48
It goes into atti mde when it loses gps. I can't picture them legally being able to deny warrany for a flight mode it uses. The atti hack uses DJI's Assistant software to adjust the parameter in the drone so you can stay in atti mode. To me if you are going to sell a model marked "PRO", atti should be a standard function.
For the professional flyers, I have put the links for the atti chage on my site as they seem to have dissapeared from the forum...
If you are not very comfortable flying your drone, I suggest you do not use this as you can wreck or lose your drone if you are not a good pilot.

Thanks - that's great! I will do that soon.
One reason for me besides Atti being faster than S mode:
I like to fly the drone up to the intended height, switch to Atti and see how strong the wind pushes it in which direction.
That is the best wind indicator. I'm always doing it with my Phantom.
2019-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-18 10:48
It goes into atti mde when it loses gps. I can't picture them legally being able to deny warrany for a flight mode it uses. The atti hack uses DJI's Assistant software to adjust the parameter in the drone so you can stay in atti mode. To me if you are going to sell a model marked "PRO", atti should be a standard function.
For the professional flyers, I have put the links for the atti chage on my site as they seem to have dissapeared from the forum...
If you are not very comfortable flying your drone, I suggest you do not use this as you can wreck or lose your drone if you are not a good pilot.

Mavic 2 system when loosing or dropping gps, will go to next available option which is opti mode or optical mode, if it looses or is out of range it will drop to Atti mode.

As Eric said above Atti mode is the last thing you need flying indoors, the propulsion of the aircraft in a confined space will cause all kinds of problems in trying to control craft.

If your flying indoors and below 30feet in a well lit area with good textured floor covering, your craft will fly happily in opti mode, if it locks on to gps all the better, Atti is not a mode for indoors and if there are people about it just shouldn’t be attempted .
2019-2-18
Use props
Brett Brandon
Second Officer
United States

2019-2-18
Use props
Brett Brandon
Second Officer
United States

2019-2-18
Use props
DroneEEE
lvl.1
Sweden

To clarify, when I say fly indoors I mean in a large indoor space large a barn or a wearhouse. The reasons for doing this is many. Creative effect, inspection of things high on a wall where a ladder won't reach and so on.

I argue that ATTI is essential for this. Your don't want a weak GPS signal to suddenly throw the drone to the side when it believes it's of by a couple of meters. I can't rely on automatic fallback because then I'm not fully in control. I have plenty experience flying drones with no GPS or optical aid. The issue is if I remap a button to ATTI mode and, say, a motor fails during a flight, will the warranty be void because I made an unsupported (and unrelated) change to the drone?
2019-2-19
Use props
Brett Brandon
Second Officer
United States

2019-2-19
Use props
DroneEEE
lvl.1
Sweden

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-19 08:15
In DJI Tony's response there is no mention of it voiding the warranty and don't see how it can. Atti is a normal function of the drone. If you are worried about it, all you would have to do is go back in and change that one number and its back where it was. Or simply refresh the firmware.
If you are afraid to do it, then you may need a phantom. For some reason DJI thinks Phantom flyers are capable of handling atti mode but those who fly a Mavic PRO are not capable or to be trusted with that feature. Folks have been screaming for it for months and DJI has done nothing. Don't expect to see it on the M2's at all.

I don't expect any official support for it either, but the reason I want the Mavic is that it's as capable as the Phantom 4 Pro (except maybe for mapping where the mechanical shutter is useful) but much more portable.

I can easily bring the Mavic everywhere in case there's an opportunity to fly, whereas the Phantom requires a bit of planning to even bring it with you. I'm 90% sure that I will get the Mavic 2 Pro over the Phantom but ATTI mode is what keeps it from being 100%. Mavic is a much better fit for how I will use the drone.
2019-2-19
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-18 15:55
I fly indoors alot. If you are not comfortable in handling a drone without a position lock of some kind, I don't reccomend it. This is atti mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxt6wiBMOh8

This is the MINIMUM every drone pilot should be able to do.
Flying nose in, in closed space, in ATTI mode.
Fairy tales about propellers causing all kind of winds in closed space are just that - fairy tales.
There is a bit of ground effect maybe up to 2, 3 feet if even that and exactly the same occurs in open space as well.
2019-2-19
Use props
DroneEEE
lvl.1
Sweden

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-19 09:09
This is the MINIMUM every drone pilot should be able to do.
Flying nose in, in closed space, in ATTI mode.
Fairy tales about propellers causing all kind of winds in closed space are just that - fairy tales.

Agreed. There may be some turbulent air when flying close to walls and through door openings, but in a somewhat large indoor space every drone pilot should be able to handle ATTI. I would also argue that any good drone pilot should also be able to do without altitude hold, although the DJI drones do not allow for this (officially).

Having assistance from a flight controller with altitude hold, GPS and such is not a bad thing at all, and they all have their uses, but I like to be able to take full control when the automatic systems won't work as expected for whatever reason. GPS can also cause unnecessary corrections in wind making footage a bit unstable, whereas flying in ATTI and "going with the flow", so to speak, would allow smoother operation in these cases.

I'm definitely not against assistive systems in a drone, I just don't want to completely rely on them.
2019-2-19
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

DroneEEE Posted at 2-19 14:09
Agreed. There may be some turbulent air when flying close to walls and through door openings, but in a somewhat large indoor space every drone pilot should be able to handle ATTI. I would also argue that any good drone pilot should also be able to do without altitude hold, although the DJI drones do not allow for this (officially).

Having assistance from a flight controller with altitude hold, GPS and such is not a bad thing at all, and they all have their uses, but I like to be able to take full control when the automatic systems won't work as expected for whatever reason. GPS can also cause unnecessary corrections in wind making footage a bit unstable, whereas flying in ATTI and "going with the flow", so to speak, would allow smoother operation in these cases.

Completely agree. Thing is that DJI is mostly selling delusion almost everyone can be a pilot without some training while the bitter truth is that electronics does like 90% of the job. Same like you, I think assisted flight is a great thing, especially if you want to focus more on video, shots, scenes... .however, becoming "instant" pilot using DJI drones is a very dangerous delusion.
Everyone who knows how to fly 20 USD toy drone can easily handle DJI drones, however opposite is not quite true.
That being said, I kinda understand DJI decision not to offer ATTI on demand.
2019-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules