pgytech filters or polarpro or freewell or other
16825 27 2019-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dragonuck
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi picking up the DJI Osmo Pocket and need advise on which filters from the above or other to go for.   I have reviewed Polarpro, Pgytech, freewell and not sure... price is not important as they all look affordable.  The polarpro do have some additional accessories that I like and would buy... but the filters are where I am stuck... new to this and looking at Shutterstock, YouTube and Facebook to upload the content.... so quality is a must

2019-2-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day dragonuck. Thank you for choosing DJI and for the reaching out. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on what ND Filters they are using for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-16
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.3
Austria

I bought the Skyreat ND filters and I can't say anything negative till now. They fit perfect and 4k video quality is great. Build quality is good
2019-2-16
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

I bought PGYTech kit of 4 ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64. This is the only kit that fits me as I don't need ND4. With other brands, I have to either buy ND4,8,16 or 32,64,32/PL, 64/PL unless I have to shell out more than $100 to get them all.
2019-2-16
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

PgyTech is the way to go if you want something that is easy to attach and remove from the case and the OP. I hate those being held by foam as you'll more than like get fingerprints on them as you're trying to dig them out of the foam.
2019-2-16
Use props
Joe Williams
lvl.3
United States

And just to make sure this thread is totally unhelpful I will chime in and say I’ve got the freewell and have been super happy with them. Even went out and got the long exposure ND to step um my time lapse ability and get longer exposures and some some solid motion blur doing daytime shoots. So with the sunny day ND/PL kit with 8/16/32/64 and the long exposure. I’ve been very happy.  But I haven’t them to any others and actually can’t recall seeing anything negative about any of the brands out for what it’s worth.
2019-2-16
Use props
Joe Williams
lvl.3
United States

And just to make sure this thread is totally unhelpful I will chime in and say I’ve got the freewell and have been super happy with them. Even went out and got the long exposure ND to step um my time lapse ability and get longer exposures and some some solid motion blur doing daytime shoots. So with the sunny day ND/PL kit with 8/16/32/64 and the long exposure. I’ve been very happy.  But I haven’t them to any others and actually can’t recall seeing anything negative about any of the brands out for what it’s worth.
2019-2-16
Use props
seldom_static
lvl.2
United States

I just reviewed most of PolarPro's Osmo Pocket accessories including their Vivid Cinema Series ND/PL filters. I'm not an expert on ND/PL filters by any means but I found them useful for my shooting conditions. As with most of these filters, they are small and the combo ND/PL filters can be difficult to set proper exposure without using your phone to monitor. They don't have a hard stop and can be rotated infinitely. Other than that, they worked really well at cutting down the light and reducing glare from my video lights while maintaining my target shutter speed.

2019-2-16
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

freewell 8,16,32,64 nd/pl, is all you need
2019-2-16
Use props
dragonuck
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Cheers all   I read reviews about Pgytech 'German SCHOTT optical glass and a multilayer hardened super waterproof coating'   how much a difference does this make compared to Polarpro & Freewell...  and do these have such features as well.  Not reas or listen to a review on these that state such features
2019-2-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2019-2-17
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I only have one pol filter, more is for me not neccesary.
Buy filters - maaaaany as you want, the most expensive
(dealers are glad), they are 0.0314159% better! :--)

2019-2-17
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.3
Austria

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-16 17:40
I spent $59 for the Skyreat ND4/8/16 & ND32/64, ND16/64PL filter sets (7 filters in total).  Probably will never use the ND4 but for the price who cares.  Dang these things are tiny!  They seem well made, fit nicely, & hold securely.  I haven't had much time to test actual results.

I got the same 7 filters. The 4k video quality is really great. Yeah they are tiny. To remove it, I just put the ND4 filter on top of the one, attached to the OP. So I can remove the filter easily.
2019-2-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dragonuck Posted at 2-16 23:53
Cheers all   I read reviews about Pgytech 'German SCHOTT optical glass and a multilayer hardened super waterproof coating'   how much a difference does this make compared to Polarpro & Freewell...  and do these have such features as well.  Not reas or listen to a review on these that state such features

I figured that if the other brand uses it, they would advertise about it and if they didn't, then they probably are not using it.  Another advantage of the PgyTech is the carrying case. It's very compact for 6 magnetically held filters and it's easy to open even while you're holding the OP in one hand and you can easily attach detach filter while walking around.
I have the Freewell Clear Night filter and their case sucks, It's hard to open and it's not easy to dig the filter out of hte case. so the Clear Night Filter is now sitting inside one of my PgyTech case.

It seems that the Polar Pro filter holding method is better than foam but I hate that you're force to buy 2 sets of filters (you have to buy the 3 filters set and than get the combo 4 filters set) to have the Full range of ND or ND PL filters and I feel that a ND PL 8/16/32/64 Pgytech combo offers more flexibility than a ND4/8/16 combo set at a lower cost.

I have a more detail review of my experience with the PgyTech filter set here on this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-179024-1-1.html

and some pictures here:

https://imgur.com/a/hXQ6zLH
2019-2-17
Use props
milan79
lvl.2
Slovakia

Is it possible to buy PolarPro filters ND32/PL and ND64/PL separately?
2019-2-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

milan79 Posted at 2-17 09:56

Nope. You're forced to buy the combo set. It's kind funny when you read the discription on their Cinema series.
"Cinema Series Glass - Production Grade Glass"

If their Cinema Series use production grade then I wonder what kind of glass they use on thier standard series.

Actually, It's probably just a case of lost in translation and they meant Professional Glass
2019-2-17
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I went with the PGYTech graduated filter set (8-none, 16-8, 32-16 - from memory). The PGYTech filters I bought for my P4P and Mavic Air are full filters, as they are in the air so that's more relevant. But on the ground I wanted to reduce the overhead light and capture the ground with a lesser filter - hence the graduated filters met that well.

I also bought a standard UV filter which typically stays on to protect the lens. And I agree that the carry case for the set is great, as the filters aren't set into a cavity which you may struggle to remove them from. The filters are held on two sides, allowing you to physically grab them. There are also spare spaces for extra filters (like my UV).
2019-2-17
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-16 17:40
I spent $59 for the Skyreat ND4/8/16 & ND32/64, ND16/64PL filter sets (7 filters in total).  Probably will never use the ND4 but for the price who cares.  Dang these things are tiny!  They seem well made, fit nicely, & hold securely.  I haven't had much time to test actual results.

Where do you get these 7 filters for $59? It's great deal. I search all over places and couldn't find it.
thanks.
2019-2-17
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Own PolarPro and Skyreat. The polarPro are more expensive BUT they are the only ones with a protective rubber coating over the magnet strip to avoid scratching the OP lens module. Quality is TOP. Skyreat are also excellent but they feel a tad less premium (the aluminum frame not the quality of the glass). Both brands have minimal to no color casts. The case on the PolarPro is magnetic and feels better with rubber grommets to insert the filters. The case on the Skyreat is the typical white platic filter case with deep foam inserts and cutouts for the fingers. Both do their job.

Skyreat wins on the bang for the buck department although the inside of the filters is no multicoated therefore a pain to clean. PolarPro wins in the details and ultimately is the better filter choice IMO but at a steeper price.

PGYTECH filters look nice (haven't tried them) and they better all other known brands on the ergonomics because they are a little thicker making the removal of the filter easier (PolarPro and Skyreat are almost impossible to grab without leaving any fingerprints or risking dropping them, specially when trying to remove them). The problem with PGYTECH is that they only offer fixed polarized filters, no CPLs.

Haven't tried the Neweer ones but they also seem quite good for the price. Just be carefull with the non coated version (grey metallic ones) as they will obviously lack any flaring, ghosting, oleophobic and hydrophobic properties. not to mention cleaning...

Avoid by any means cheap knock offs ;)
2019-2-18
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

seldom_static Posted at 2-16 22:34
I just reviewed most of PolarPro's Osmo Pocket accessories including their Vivid Cinema Series ND/PL filters. I'm not an expert on ND/PL filters by any means but I found them useful for my shooting conditions. As with most of these filters, they are small and the combo ND/PL filters can be difficult to set proper exposure without using your phone to monitor. They don't have a hard stop and can be rotated infinitely. Other than that, they worked really well at cutting down the light and reducing glare from my video lights while maintaining my target shutter speed.

FYI Polarized filters DO NOT HAVE hard stops. They cut approximately 1.5 - 2 Stops of light.

if you don#t want to use your phone and to avoid stressing the gimbal motors, bring the filter alone to your eye, aim at your subject, rotate the ring until getting the desired effect and THEN install it on the OP. It will save you lots of trouble ;)
2019-2-18
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

dragonuck Posted at 2-16 23:53
Cheers all   I read reviews about Pgytech 'German SCHOTT optical glass and a multilayer hardened super waterproof coating'   how much a difference does this make compared to Polarpro & Freewell...  and do these have such features as well.  Not reas or listen to a review on these that state such features

The majority of reputable brands will use either SCHOTT glass or Hoya. Both excellent. PolarPro and Freewell use probably the same. the difference is mainly on the quality of the coatings. more expensive filters 'usually' have better coatings.
2019-2-18
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

BeterBan Posted at 2-17 05:41
I only have one pol filter, more is for me not neccesary.
Buy filters - maaaaany as you want, the most expensive
(dealers are glad), they are 0.0314159% better! :--)

You keep posting those crappy filters in every opportunity... I kindly asked you previously to post some comparison images to prove that those cheap filters can control ghosting and flaring but you went silent.

It is not the best idea to put an additional cheap piece of glass in front of a 4K camera... in 20+ years of shooting professionaly I've never seen any cheap filter perform in an acceptable way. I use 500$ 105mm polarized filters because they have great quality glass and I don't want to compromise image quality. That filter at 6.50$ retail must be really, really good...

Here, in case some of you want to spend 10-20mn for educational purposes:

https://photographylife.com/lens-filters
https://www.ephotozine.com/artic ... arison-review-27951
https://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html
2019-2-18
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

milan79 Posted at 2-17 09:56

No.  But I sent the PolarPro "rep" an email while logged on to the MavicPilots (osmo pocket sub forum), and he assured me that they would be offering something under the "custom" menu that would offer the ability to make custom choices to add to their 'standard' sets.  No timeline give, but apparently this is a common request.  
2019-2-18
Use props
milan79
lvl.2
Slovakia

Thank, if you have any information about "custom" menu, please write it here to the forum.
2019-2-18
Use props
Jay Sauve
New

United Kingdom

So polarpro pgytech freewell    I'm leading to polarpro with the rubber seal to protect lens... pgytech for the German glass      freewell apparently lighter     for the features of what filters are needed for I'm leaning to polarpro n pgytech   sell me more on which
2019-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Honestly I used to buy only pp filters for my drones,and I did same for M2, but also got a set of skyreat they were half the price of pp on testing the difference and look is negligible in fact I would say skyreat look better but it’s just my opinion .
I again bought pp for OP plus 3 ND pgy tech and a  CPL also pgy tech, again no noticeable difference and with these filters I asked opinions of a few people and pgy tech came out best.
So if  money is no object get pp but I can tell you they are over priced for what they do.
2019-2-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-19 16:27
Honestly I used to buy only pp filters for my drones,and I did same for M2, but also got a set of skyreat they were half the price of pp on testing the difference and look is negligible in fact I would say skyreat look better but it’s just my opinion .
I again bought pp for OP plus 3 ND pgy tech and a  CPL also pgy tech, again no noticeable difference and with these filters I asked opinions of a few people and pgy tech came out best.
So if  money is no object get pp but I can tell you they are over priced for what they do.

And PGYTech give you the option of a full ND filter set or a graduated ND filter set. As mentioned earlier, I opted for the latter. Very happy with the quality of them.
2019-2-19
Use props
300Sixty1
lvl.1

Netherlands

I am also interested in the PGYTech filters. Apparently there are two different kinds too, the Advanced and Pro series both of them have polarised and non polarised versions. Does anyone know the difference between the advanced and pro? Do not seem the be able to find the difference between them, glass and filtercolour seems the same.
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules