Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PILOTS BEWARE OF APRIL 6TH 2019 GPS FAILURE
15843 15843 2019-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
P4PCommander
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

Our GPS System will be turned off on April 6th 2019, for new software and updates this is done every 20 years
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

I just hope DJI is on top of this very serious Issue for all of us
2019-2-17
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

WRONG !!!!!

Its a 20 year calendar roll-over that is purely a date data issue that affected old gps sets in early days ...

Its still advised to users when the 20 year roll-over is due - just in case you are using an old set.

The service DOES NOT STOP ... it just resets reference on DATE.

I have an old original Magellan GPS unit from the first days and that has survived previous roll overs ............

Try reading up ... for example :

https://www.orolia.com/resources ... -what-you-need-know

2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2-17 12:11
WRONG !!!!!

Its a 20 year calendar roll-over that is purely a date data issue that affected old gps sets in early days ...

I'm near a USAF Drone Squadron and they are really Concerned.....I'm going to be Cautious anyway. Thank you for your Input...
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2-17 12:11
WRONG !!!!!

One more thing! IF IT'S ON THE INTERNET IT'S GOT TO BE TRUE~ EVEN MY POSTS!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

As more nation’s militaries become increasingly capable in space, the U.S. finds itself on the defensive in orbit.

But one last hurdle remains. Every piece of equipment that uses global positioning sats needs a receiver that is capable of handling the M-code. The effort to develop these receiver cards has been hampered by the lack of operational testing, since no sats had been launched.

“The military services were unlikely to have sufficient knowledge to make informed procurement decisions starting in fiscal year 2018, because operational testing that provides valuable information about Military GPS User Equipment (MGUE) performance would not be complete until fiscal year 2019,” the GAO notes.

A Bright GPS Future...Delayed

As more nation’s militaries become increasingly capable in space, the U.S. finds itself on the defensive in orbit.

But one last hurdle remains. Every piece of equipment that uses global positioning sats needs a receiver that is capable of handling the M-code. The effort to develop these receiver cards has been hampered by the lack of operational testing, since no sats had been launched.

“The military services were unlikely to have sufficient knowledge to make informed procurement decisions starting in fiscal year 2018, because operational testing that provides valuable information about Military GPS User Equipment (MGUE) performance would not be complete until fiscal year 2019,” the GAO notes.

A Bright GPS Future...Delayed

2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 12:30
One more thing! IF IT'S ON THE INTERNET IT'S GOT TO BE TRUE~ EVEN MY POSTS!!

Should be safe enough in the worst case, the Russian glonass sat's will keep our UAVs on track.
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-17 12:46
Should be safe enough in the worst case, the Russian glonass sat's will keep our UAVs on track.

Are you sure our software auto switches to Glonass!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 14:41

I think it's Odd that DJI hasn't for Warned us of this !!
2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P4 upwards certainly supports GPS & GLONASS :-

From the P4 Spec' :- "Satellite Positioning Systems GPS/GLONASS"

and the P4 Pro Spec':-  "Satellite Positioning Systems GPS/GLONASS"

And in the not too distant future I would hope to see support for European Galileo system, which I believe with GPS that they compliment each other for better accuracy than at present.
2019-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 14:43

They would not even know about it. It is not as if the US government advises them of these maintenance routines. Navigating drones is not considered an important service.
2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2-17 14:51
They would not even know about it. It is not as if the US government advises them of these maintenance routines. Navigating drones is not considered an important service.

I wonder if we (U.K), can get a 'care refresh' replacement on This UAV :-)
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 12:43
As more nation’s militaries become increasingly capable in space, the U.S. finds itself on the defensive in orbit.

But one last hurdle remains. Every piece of equipment that uses global positioning sats needs a receiver that is capable of handling the M-code. The effort to develop these receiver cards has been hampered by the lack of operational testing, since no sats had been launched.

I love you guy's that believe everything your Told! I'd bet a Million Dollars you were never in the Military!!!!

2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:20
I love you guy's that believe everything your Told! I'd bet a Million Dollars you were never in the Military!!!!

I've been Flying 55 + years with every kind of Radio on the Market!!!!!! WOW Guess what our Military has never been Right!!!! believe what you want guy's …….and the Communications business  over 50 yrs......and guess what Our Government has never been 100% right!!!! Want me to Prove it!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:20

When I say in Business, not for anyone else it was for myself, Paging and Mobile Telephone Loooooong before Cell Phones.....Yeah I know a little bit about what I have Stated!!!!

2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:28
When I say in Business, not for anyone else it was for myself, Paging and Mobile Telephone Loooooong before Cell Phones.....Yeah I know a little bit about what I have Stated!!!!

Loooong before the Chinese ever got involved, it was the Japanese!!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:30
Loooong before the Chinese ever got involved, it was the Japanese!!!

Everyone please be careful on April 6th.... nobody really knows what will happen.....if you have no Satellites, please don't fly!!!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-17 14:50
The P4 upwards certainly supports GPS & GLONASS :-

From the P4 Spec' :- "Satellite Positioning Systems GPS/GLONASS"

Yes Sir I hope you are right!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-17 15:08
I wonder if we (U.K), can get a 'care refresh' replacement on This UAV :-)

That would be my next Question.....good Question
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-17 14:51

That's why I am here!!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Should be safe enough in the worst case, the Russian glonass sat's will keep our UAVs on track.

Do you know that for sure!!! Why would we ???
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 12:43
As more nation’s militaries become increasingly capable in space, the U.S. finds itself on the defensive in orbit.

But one last hurdle remains. Every piece of equipment that uses global positioning sats needs a receiver that is capable of handling the M-code. The effort to develop these receiver cards has been hampered by the lack of operational testing, since no sats had been launched.

Here is the Problem, If Russia were to send Missiles to us do you think the US would allow them to pinpoint targets to us!!!! REALLY I DON'T THINK SO!!! I WAS IN THE AIRFORCE AND WE HAD COMPLETE CONTROL OF OUR SAT'S...……..NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

lol Keep on Dreaming!!!! when you crash your's I'll off you 10 bucks for your Aircraft after it crashes!!!
2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:44
Do you know that for sure!!! Why would we ???

I have as much faith in GLONASS as GPS, as both are in commonly used in systems using GNSS. One simple test might be to see what happens to your satellite count and signal strength on the day.
2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:48
lol Keep on Dreaming!!!! when you crash your's I'll off you 10 bucks for your Aircraft after it crashes!!!

Dreaming about what ? The aircraft use both GPS & GLONASS for navigation.

Edit:- $100 and it's yours ;-)
2019-2-17
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-17 15:57
Dreaming about what ? The aircraft use both GPS & GLONASS for navigation.

Edit:- $100 and it's yours ;-)

I will take it how many Baattery's
2019-2-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 16:13
I will take it how many Baattery's

But only after it crashes, and it's been good for three years now

By the time this one bites the dust nobody will be interested (touch wood). You'll be after a P6 or P7 by then.
2019-2-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

P4PCommander Posted at 2-17 15:35
Everyone please be careful on April 6th.... nobody really knows what will happen.....if you have no Satellites, please don't fly!!!!

You tried pushing this nonsense on another forum and were quickly corrected with detailed and accurate information.
But you are here more than 24 hours later spreading ignorance and misinformation.

Why say nobody really  knows what will happen when it's quite clear and very well known what will happen.
What a load of ignorant garbage.
Your posting can accurately be described as Fake News.

2019-2-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For someone so confident about his knowledge of the technology, you know very little.
Your drone uses both systems at the same time, no switching required.

But even if all satellite navigation was switched off,  your drone would not crash.
It would just be flying in atti mode and still fully controllable.

It would be more helpful if DJI was to warn users about paying attention to the ignorant nonsense you are posting.
2019-2-17
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are spreading FUD. Get your facts straight please before you post.

It's a GPS Week Number Rollover. All modern GPS receivers are set up to deal with it. The sky is not falling.

https://www.gpsworld.com/homelan ... gps-rollover-event/

That being said, it would be wise not to be flying right at midnight UTC. If you must fly around that time, best to land a minute or two before, shut down, and fire up and fly again a minute or two after. Just to be safe.
2019-2-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Cell towers are used to triangulate GPS Systems using your own personal tracking device commonly called a Cell Phone also providing area coverage for cell phone service.
Undersea cables are responsible for 99% of internet communications.
Space satellites are a global hoax.

GWEN (Ground Wave Emergency Network)

2019-2-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

2019-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2-17 23:54
Cell towers are used to triangulate GPS Systems using your own personal tracking device commonly called a Cell Phone also providing area coverage for cell phone service.
Undersea cables are responsible for 99% of internet communications.
Space satellites are a global hoax.

'Cell towers are used to triangulate GPS Systems '

No they are not. Cell towers have nothing to do with the GPS system at all. Stop spreading this rubbish. The cell phones work out their position relative to cell towers, where the exact location of the cell tower is known.
2019-2-18
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

you said it right  ....at all
2019-2-18
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Damn. GPS changing, magnetic variation increased and pole reversal due. Should be fun folks.
2019-2-18
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Russia

What a thread !!!  Its provided a few minutes of laughter ....

Lets summarise :

1. Date roll-over occurs at 20 year intervals on USA based GPS system due to the binary code limitation it uses to determine date and time.
2. Only the very first recvrs produced in the early days of GPS were prone to fail after a roll over. GPS does not swich of in any way to perform the roll over.
3. This roll-over has been sorted in later and todays GPS units so there should be no failure.
4. If the GPS rcvr fails - its not because GPS failed ... its the rcvr itself. And it would need to be a first generation rcvr at that ...
5. Miilitary and Civilian have only the satelite itself as any commonality, Military GPS signals are different to civilian, only the satelite as signal sender is same.
6. Cell Phones triangulate on cell towers based on signal strength and is widely innacurate. Only when allied with GPS will a Cell Phone be able to pinpoint your position. The Towers do not use GPS in any form at all.
7. Most DJI models use both Glonass and GPS except of course the P3 Standard. Galileo can be ignored as it is long delayed and still not sorted.
8. Glonass, Indian, Chinese and Galileo (when operational) use a different date coding and will not have same roll-over. Yes - India and Chinese have systems as well. Its possible that UK will have its own later as well.

In answer to P4PCommanders question : I have used and been involved in satelite based navigation since Transit came on the scene. Both Military and Civilian.
I have Garmin, Lowrance, eTrex, various Quadcopter and Magellan GPS recvrs as well as having had in the past (I was required to return to the origin) Military Spec Trimbles and Thales recvrs. Some of these go back to the very first days. ALL are still fully functional despite the same event in 1999.

One last point : Most Smartphones to day have GPS capability to provide mapping and geodata for photos etc. I have not seen any Notice by Mobile Phone manufacturers advising phone owners / users of this 2019 event. I wonder why ?  Actually its because its a 'non-event' or one to not worry about.
2019-2-18
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1443894 ft
  • >>>
Australia

well seems we have little to worry about & if we do no problems because we won't know where we are anyway
https://www.news.com.au/technolo ... b6a6036581b1a2228f1
2019-2-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 2-18 03:02
well seems we have little to worry about & if we do no problems because we won't know where we are anyway
https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/natural-wonders/why-we-dont-need-to-panic-about-a-sudden-reversal-of-earths-magnetic-poles/news-story/d0cbfaa568297b6a6036581b1a2228f1

So does that mean that after reversal Oz will be the right way up, and we'll (U.K) be upside down

We all know, naturally, that North is up, unless of course the flat earth society are correct. In which case it would be more left or right.

Nuff said, coffee time....
2019-2-18
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2-18 08:02
So does that mean that after reversal Oz will be the right way up, and we'll (U.K) be upside down

We all know, naturally, that North is up, unless of course the flat earth society are correct. In which case it would be more left or right.

Blimey - we don't want it all upside down ... they'll be sending all their unwanted to UK then !! Oh ... world already does !!  

(That was meant as a joke and not to be taken too seriously ... .... )
2019-2-18
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2-18 01:34
What a thread !!!  Its provided a few minutes of laughter ....

Lets summarise :

solentlife had more patience than I to set the record straight on this topic.

/thread
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules