1984 17 2019-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I'm attempting a repair of a friends DJI Spark gimbal… that crashed after a tree strike and fall into a puddle of water… so lets see how it goes… he got a replacement gimbal from ebay. Ok to get to the 2 screws that will release the gimbal from its dampening mount you need to remove the GPS unit the main motherboard lots of tiny screws and then release 6 minute plugs so that you get to these screws. Relatively simple.

Once you finally get to those 2 screws you can finally remove the camera and gimbal the take the camera out of the gimbal to swap to the new gimbal

What is very obvious is how damn tiny everything is!! – Not easy on the eyes….or if you have sausage fingers! Camera internals now swapped across to the new gimbal and more tiny plugs re attached. Then fixed back onto the Spark then the motherboard can be plugged back in – easier said than done! Next is to fit the body shell pop the battery in and hopefully it fires up ok.

So when it fired up the screen from the camera was blank, no video feed – but the drone started a flew as normal, so I decided to swap the gimbal back to the original if there was a problem with the replacement, but still no video.

Remember all the connections are plugs , nothing to get the wrong way as they only can go back one way, so they should just work when plugged back in.

So my thought is:- The replacement gimbal caused a problem with the camera as it worked fine before the swap but didnt after the swap.
Any thoughts?
So at the moment this repair failed
2019-2-18
Use props
Proteous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228993 ft
Barbados

are the parts your using original DJI parts ?
2019-2-18
Use props
fans6f66f9da
lvl.4
United States

can't really help, but buying a replacement from ebay IMO is always sketchy
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Proteous Posted at 2-18 05:34
are the parts your using original DJI parts ?

They are not original from what I know - not from DJI
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans6f66f9da Posted at 2-18 05:53
can't really help, but buying a replacement from ebay IMO is always sketchy

Thats was my thought as well, thanks anyway. Maybe he could just send it back to DJI for them to repair. I was helping him out as I had the tools to get inside, it is easy to replace as they all just plug in. Couldnt be simpler really, you just need delicate fingers.
2019-2-18
Use props
fans6f66f9da
lvl.4
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-18 06:31
Thats was my thought as well, thanks anyway. Maybe he could just send it back to DJI for them to repair. I was helping him out as I had the tools to get inside, it is easy to replace as they all just plug in. Couldnt be simpler really, you just need delicate fingers.

yeah, good luck and keep us updated if you do send it in
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans6f66f9da Posted at 2-18 07:11
yeah, good luck and keep us updated if you do send it in

Cheers will see what we do next...I know there is a full camera/gimbal unit available for around $130 but might be better just to send it in...LINK - but everything was ok with the drone before we removed the camera so should be ok with a new gimbal, or is it better to send it in - as its not in warranty.
2019-2-18
Use props
fans6f66f9da
lvl.4
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-18 07:47
Cheers will see what we do next...I know there is a full camera/gimbal unit available for around $130 but might be better just to send it in...LINK - but everything was ok with the drone before we removed the camera so should be ok with a new gimbal, or is it better to send it in - as its not in warranty.

depends on what you need: sorry accidentally posted the picture 3 timess
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.16.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.16.20 AM.png
2019-2-18
Use props
fans6f66f9da
lvl.4
United States

here is a link too so you can change it to pounds or whatever currency you use https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2019-2-18
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Usually replacement parts from ebay, are from teardowns of drones, so genuine..
First question. Did you have picture before teardown?
2. You reused all wires etc , only gimbal housing was swapped?
If yes to both, then you either bent wire connector, or broke wires(usually  the point where you route them in gimbal, or before you twist them to motherboard connector.

I would try and measure connectivity in wires, or just buy a new wire to gimbal/camere/
Edit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIMBA ... 2tsx1tQtE5PdrIXKoIA

Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Origi ... :g:RukAAOSwQcJZ9wPc

2019-2-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry about what happened on your aircraft. Replacing the internal parts of our aircraft on our end will void the warranty of the unit. If the drone crashed or experience any incidents, we would recommend contacting our support for us to possibly use the warranty if the product is still under the warranty period. However, it would depend on the outcome of the investigation of our team. We have recommended a repair center as well that could possibly help you out to fix the aircraft, please see the link below. Thank you for understanding.

https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Joller79 DK Posted at 2-18 08:25
Usually replacement parts from ebay, are from teardowns of drones, so genuine..
First question. Did you have picture before teardown?
2. You reused all wires etc , only gimbal housing was swapped?

Yes have pictures before - all wires perfect - after all wires are same - in perfect condition - only gimbal changed - SEE
2019-2-18
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-18 15:18
Yes have pictures before - all wires perfect - after all wires are same - in perfect condition - only gimbal changed - SEE

Well then i am sorry to say. You messed it up somewhere in the progress.. I would try a nother cable as lnked earlier.. IMO the repair at dji is too costly, al ost the price for a new spark..then better keep the busted for parts
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah it looks like replacement gimbal case was the problem.
2019-2-18
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 2-18 09:18
Hi, we're sorry about what happened on your aircraft. Replacing the internal parts of our aircraft on our end will void the warranty of the unit. If the drone crashed or experience any incidents, we would recommend contacting our support for us to possibly use the warranty if the product is still under the warranty period. However, it would depend on the outcome of the investigation of our team. We have recommended a repair center as well that could possibly help you out to fix the aircraft, please see the link below. Thank you for understanding.

https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers

Hi DJI Tony -

I have since found after talking with the owner of the drone its only 5 mth old !! - so he will send it it to you.
2019-2-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-19 03:10
Hi DJI Tony -

I have since found after talking with the owner of the drone its only 5 mth old !! - so he will send it it to you.

Hi, thanks for your update. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-19
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 2-19 08:06
Hi, thanks for your update. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.

We will - thanks again...
2019-2-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-19 11:27
We will - thanks again...

You're most welcome!
2019-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now